First smoke since joining SMF...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokensmoke

Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Virginia
...coming up tomorrow. Got a great deal on pork loin so I got a 12 lb and a 9 lb. The 9 got cut in half and foodsaver/frozen. The 12 got cut in thirds to apply 3 different rubs and smoked tomorrow 1 Memphis rub, 1 Porker's rub and 1 Sweet Best rub). 1 will get eaten fresh and the other 2 will freeze for later...like maybe Sunday
icon_cool.gif

Also set up a fatty with Italian sausage meat rubbed with black pepper and garlic salt and a little mustard. Probably shred some parmesan on it before the heat.

Also will be trying my first ABT's. I got 12 of them and fixed up 3 each of 4 different stuffs, all bacon wrapped of course....

thin hard salami wrapped with Provolone
sliced ham around sharp cheddar
sliced turkey around pepper jack
cream cheese mixed with McCormick's taco seasoning

I 'll get the camera from work tomorrow and hopefully get myself a place in the Q-View Hall of Fame
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Wish me luck...I'm going in
PDT_Armataz_01_35.gif

Speaking of ABT's - is there a trick to cleaning the little buggers out? I did the 12 and was pretty aggravated by the time I was done. Can't imagine if the family likes tham and wants mass quantities in the future.

Good luck on your smoke, as far as cleaning The ABT'S... I use a plasice apple corer(?). I rounded off the point on the tip, that way it won't poke through the bottom. I just slowly turn it as I push it down in the pepper. Takes out the seeds and membrane pretty good.

Just an idea, next time, try slicing them in half. How I do them is to cut the top off and discard, then slice in half and remove all seeds and membrane (for those who dont like them "warm"). Then fill with what ever I'm using that day, and wrap the whole "enchalada" with a strip of bacon. Easy cleaning, tastes great!

Interesting menu! I often make a custom grind for fatties, but have not tried the Italian style yet. Hmm...

That apple corer is a cool idea! I usually split them down one side and drag a teaspoon thru 'em. Or I split in half and make 'em "halfies".

Best of luck on your smoke this weekend. With ABT's I usually use a small spoon to sweep out the seeds and membrane in one shot. Speaking of shot, looking forward to some Q Views.

Thanks for the replies all. I'm not quite sure why I didn't want to split the peppers, but it makes sense to me. Maybe my mind figured it was the easy way...therefore NOT appropriate for me lol

After seeing all those stainless steel ABT holders to stand them up in, I didn't think of any other way until someone uploaded pix of theirs split.
So, now it is easier and I didn't have to spend money on an ABT stand!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Here's the whole sheebang in the smoker...almost done

Here's the loins themselves...fresh out

And here's the whole deal...resting. I can't show you an open slice yet cuz the wife will kill me if I cut into t before she gets back...but there is an ABT missing (shhhhhh)
biggrin.gif

All in all I think it went quite wll. Still had issues keeping my heat down but I think that is mostly due to impatience on my part. If I don't see enough smoke I tend to fuss with the vents and such...only to have to close them down time and again. I'll learn someday

Well, I didn't get to put up any sliced Q...my 17 year-old son brought some friends over and I wasn't quick enough with the camera.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

But it all came out sliced quite a bit like a prime rib, very juicy, tender and wonderfully flavorful.

Sure glad I found SMF cuz ths being my first smoke after reading a little sure gives me a lot of hope for the future.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky