First smoke Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

big e

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Crestwood,Kentucky
Well I fired up my new ECB on Saturday. Everything turned out real nice.

I decided that I would make up a fatty and some ABT's for my first run on the smoker. For the fatty I used a pound of Italian sausage and a pound of regular breakfast sausage. I combined the two, mashed out flat and added sharp cheddar, green pepper and onion. Rolled her up and smoked it with mesquite.

While the fatty was a smokin. I threw together some ABT's. Halved the peppers and stuffed with a mixture of creme cheese, onion powder, garlic salt, cumin, paprika, and some ground black pepper. Wrapped in bacon and smoked with mesquite as well.

Now the wife said that the fatty was good, but she was not too happy that I was smoking a 2lb chunk of sausage filled with cheese (for obvious reasons). She did like the taste though and she throughly enjoyed the ABT's.

What did I learn?

Well, for one... a fatty is a while hell of a lot harder to roll then I imagined. Also, I don't like them. I found that I just don't care for a loaf of sausage. Breakfast sausage patties... ok.

Also, I don't know that I care for mesquite flavor. I plan on doing a chicken in apple wood.

Next on the hit list is a chicken.

BIG E

Great looking spread ya got there.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Great looking first time effort. Excellent process description amd Q-view. Rep points for great work!

Cheers,
Brian

Big E

Here is what I have learned from making fatties. I don't like the breakfast sausage either. For me it's the seasoning. So, what I have done is this. I use fresh ground pork. Once I did that my family prefer it that way.

Also, I don't care much for mequite either. My remedy...Alder! Why? It gives a nice, subtle smoke flavor.

I don't like the chubb sausage either. What I do is to use hot italian turkey sausage and mix it with some ground tukey meat. Still has the sausage flavor but a lot less greasy.

I sautee some green apples and onions and some shrooms for the filling along with some low fat cheddar amd mozarella. Makes a lower fat fatty.
2a7d6fb1_vbattach16636.jpg

WHAT!
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif
Oh the insanity! A lower fat fatty is just a ty!
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

Thanks for the complements and for the fatty recipes.

Funny you mention a lower fat fatty. My wife's first comment was "I like it... it's really good, but I can't eat that on principal." I understand. There's just something about eating 2lbs of sausage stuffed with cheese.

I'll have to give the sausage / pork / turkey idea.

Thanks guys.

BTW .. the huge pic problem has been resolved. All future pics will be the appropriate size.

BIG E

If you use the fatty for apetizer, or a slice or 2 with a couple of eggs ,not so bad on the waist or ticker, very nice looking abt and fatty

10-4 must agree...great looking grub. What'd you think of the ABT's for the first time? Did you find them hot or not really?

Nice looking Q-Veiw Big E. That looks great. I haven't tried a fatty yet myself, thinking maybe this week-end made with plain pork sausage. Those ABT's look great , I do like those!!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky