First Rib Success w/ QVIEW

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

j-rod

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
White Pine, TN
My first rib smoke was last weekend. I smoked 4 racks for my wifes family and it was a big dissapointment. They said they enjoyed them but I wasn't happy at all with the taste. I used Jeffs Rub Recipe and followed the 3-2-1 method the best that I could but failed miserably. They were cooked well but the rub was WAY too peppery. I followed the instructions exactly but I think I used the wrong type of pepper. I wasn't ready to give up so I tried again today. I used Jeffs Recipe but I used a different pepper and about half as much. They turned out perfect. Different strokes for different folks and everyone thought they were great this time around.

Just tossed in the GOSM, lightly rubbed with Jeffs Recipe

Used 3-2-1 method, kept at 225-240 degrees, mopped every hour with apple juice and splashed some in the foil before I wrapped them, after they came out of the foil I tossed em back in until the hit 172. Smoked with hickory and cherry.

Didn't even have time to grab the camera before some were missing

Great smoke ring and fall off the bone tender

Dutchs Wicked Baked Beans are incredible, if you haven't tried em you don't know what you are missing

About 7 minutes after the first picture was taken

Thanks for all the advice, you guys are making me a hero around my house, everyone loved this meal. They want me to smoke 8 racks this weekend for my uncle's birthday party.

Nice job on the ribs. I really like Jeff's rub but need to tone it down for my wife. Nothing says you can not adjust to your taste as we all do as needed on many many things!!!!!!!!!!!!Again the ribs look good!!!!!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

They were advertised as pork spareribs, but I agree they were a bit on the small size, of course that blade in the pic is a bit on the large size so it may throw things out of proportion.

Congrats on some great looking ribs. As has been said, Jeff's rub or any rub for that matter needs to be adjusted for individual tastes.

Glad you found out what works for you!

Glad you made the adjustment to your tastes, and those ribs look really, really good. I just used Jeff's sauce on 40 lbs of butts for a church dinner last night....everybody loved the butts and sauce....or is it the sauce and butts?

Nice job! I like the heat, but as you say, different strokes. I make 2 versions sometimes, or a light finishing sauce that's pretty steamy for the heat lovers.

Thank you everyone, Leeman you can find Dutch's recipe in the side item section of the forum, they have made it a sticky so it is always easy to find. I cooked these guys in the smoker under the ribs to catch the drippings and give em a smokey flavor they were great. I believe this link will get you there. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ead.php?t=1540

Dutches beans are great, I was smoking a few racks on saturday and wound up with some unexpected guests. I pulled up the recipe and threw it together they were awesome, the people loved it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky