First rib run on the Master Forge w/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef willie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 31, 2010
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Broke in the MF with ribs using the 3-2-1 method and was slightly disappoonted with my outcome. Was looking for 'almost' fall off the bone meat but had to gnaw on them somewhat. Ran for 3 hours at 245-250 with apple chunks. Foiled with a splash of apple juice for the 2 hours at 225. Last hour dropped the temp to 200 to finish without the foil. Maybe I should have kept it at 250 all the way through? The rub held on well and produced a decent bark, I also had a lot of smoke seepage out the door which I will have to work on. HD had no oven gaskets available for that mod. I feel the smoke penetration was also a little lacking. Thanks for looking and the input....

After overnight rub
5a87f94c_RIBS1.jpg

Going in

d2626f32_GOINGIN.jpg

TBS

542f7476_TBSSTARTING.jpg

after 3 hours

092de033_3HOURSIN.jpg

done  
31783572_DONE.jpg

cut

cd72f335_RIBSCUT.jpg

icon_cool.gif

Now I don't see any pull back on the bones. The ribs look good and have a pretty good looking smoke ring too. I really wouldn't worry to much about the smoke seeping out of the door sides.

Looks real good from here !

Thanks,

Bear
Thx, Bear..ya know how it is, you're always your worse critic.

icon_cool.gif

Now I don't see any pull back on the bones. The ribs look good and have a pretty good looking smoke ring too. I really wouldn't worry to much about the smoke seeping out of the door sides.
You're right on that...I was looking for some shrinkage...think next time I'll just let her rip at 250 through, felt a tad underdone....will be doing a small turkey next week, will see how that flies....thx for the input, I'll worry about the door later

Chef Willie,

Those are some nice looking ribs but if you want them fall off the bone, I would keep the heat up and increase the foil time and then keep the heat up when they come out of the foil to finish, that should give you some fall off the bone ribs.  As far as the smoke leaking from around the door, go to a farm and home supply place or something like a Tractor Supply Store or a fireplace shop and get you some 3/8" Fiberglass Gasket Material and some cement to attach it with and seal that bad boy up.  Imperial is a good brand if you can find it, that is what I used on my Master Forge. I checked Lowe's and they only carry it in the fall and the local Lowe's store was out of it and could not even get me any, I got mine at a Southern States Farm and Home Supply that sells a lot of wood and coal stoves, they had tons of it in different sizes, but the 3/8" looked the best for what I wanted it for.  I'll let you know how it does when it warms up enough for me to season this Master Forge out good!

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 
biggrin.gif

were you measuring the chamber temp with a remote thermometer? or the door one?

The ribs sure look good! Why did you stand them up? It looks like you had the room to lay them flat. I think they come out better laying flat on the grates. That's just me though.

Looks good!! if your looking for fall off the bone tender try increasing your foil time.that will help.they still look good !
Thanks, I'll be doing that test in the future and losing the rib rack

Chef Willie,

Those are some nice looking ribs but if you want them fall off the bone, I would keep the heat up and increase the foil time and then keep the heat up when they come out of the foil to finish, that should give you some fall off the bone ribs.  As far as the smoke leaking from around the door, go to a farm and home supply place or something like a Tractor Supply Store or a fireplace shop and get you some 3/8" Fiberglass Gasket Material and some cement to attach it with and seal that bad boy up.  Imperial is a good brand if you can find it, that is what I used on my Master Forge. I checked Lowe's and they only carry it in the fall and the local Lowe's store was out of it and could not even get me any, I got mine at a Southern States Farm and Home Supply that sells a lot of wood and coal stoves, they had tons of it in different sizes, but the 3/8" looked the best for what I wanted it for.  I'll let you know how it does when it warms up enough for me to season this Master Forge out good!

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 
biggrin.gif
Yeah, have decided to stay with a constant temp throughout and foil longer. Lowes and HD had no oven gaskets in stock and, of course, nothing for wood stoves etc since the seasons are changing. We have a farm supply here in town so I'll be checking around. Thx for the tip on 3/8" sizing for your MF.

were you measuring the chamber temp with a remote thermometer? or the door one?
Since I wasn't probing the ribs I had the digital probe through a potato on the rack under the ribs. When testing the door therm against the digital during the empty seasoning burn it was surprisingly spot on. With the ribs in I noticed it was running about 15 degrees hotter than the probe therm. Still not bad considering I've heard them being anywhere from 25 to 50 degrees off.
I wish now I had stabbed the ribs in the meaty part with my instant read when pulling them out of the foil....might have helped me make a decision to leave them in longer 

The ribs sure look good! Why did you stand them up? It looks like you had the room to lay them flat. I think they come out better laying flat on the grates. That's just me though.
Thanks, Al....yeah, they looked good...think that's what fooled me. I had a rack so used it..never again I think. I wanted the ribs to look like YOURS (in your previous pic) <grin>...maybe next time

Look good here.  Another trick I learned is add more liquid during the foil stage.  You said a splash try to add a 1/4 cup of liquid per foil.  It will make a difference.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky