First RF smoker- 115 gal propane tank

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Got a little work done today.  Flanging the lid is a pain.  All I have is .188 x 2 and it's tough to bend but it turned out better than I expected.

I had to heat the parts on either end to get it bent.  I guess I'll go behind and weld it up solid and cross my fingers that it doesn't pretzel.  

Got the other side done tonight. Went a lot easier.  My big C-clamp was a lot stronger after some lube.  Hope to score some good metal at the scrap yard tomorrow.

I originally planned to put just legs but I'm thinking it is going to be really heavy.  Have been kicking around mounting some tires to it to facilitate moving it around the yard and onto my trailer.

the smoker that is my profile picture I did that with smaller smoker to heavy to move . Im starting now that will have 4 tires and the front two will have a pull handle and will steer the tires are off a golf cart kind of fat (wide) nice talking Keep posting pictures so we can watch I will do the same

Not much to update Gary.  I'm a little further along on the lid.  I made a good score at the scrap yard to finish off the lid and the FB door.  I've been thinking about what I'm going to use for the RF plate.  Does anyone have a thought on what thickness to make it?  

1/4 "   works good   that is what we use.

Gary

The plate I picked up from the yard looked a little thick and I was hoping it was just 5/16 but it is a full 3/8".  The door and the RF plate are going to be ultra heavy.  Conveniently, my friend offered an old boat trailer earlier today.  I did a little welding and cutting this morning.

I test fit the lid and confirmed my wife's suggestion that i shouldn't have welded the inside.  I've since cut 1/4" or so from the tank around the opening.  It was freehand with the gas ax and looks it.  I envisioned using a gasket to seal the lid and the FB door but I haven't seen one on the few smokers I've examined.  Are gaskets necessary?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky