first prime rib cook coming up on 7-2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mowin

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 30, 2015
upstate ny
Picked up this superior Ch rib eye angus PR roast. 14.5#..
Going to smoke it on the 2nd for several guests. Needless to say, im more than slightly nervous, as this cost a bundle. :icon_eek:.

My game plan is to smoke low and slow at 220-240 ish till a IT of 135, then cover and rest. Shooting for a IT of 140-145*. Am i pulling it too soon?

Im planning on a simple SPOG rub.

So if my pit is 220-240, how long am i looking until I get to my target temp?
Can i pull sooner, if my temp hits my "zone"? Foil, towel, cooler, for how long?

Last edited:
140-145 is medium.

Do you want it that done.

The pieces on the ends will be med/well done.

If the roast is a little too rare, you can always slice off a piece & put it on a grill for a minute or two to get it a little more done.

In a 350 degree oven will work too.

Don't forget to catch the juices for an Au Jus.

Al

140-145 is medium.
If the roast is a little too rare, you can always slice off a piece & put it on a grill for a minute or two to get it a little more done.

Al

Definitely want med rare. I'll pull it at 130*. Any hints on how long this might take if smoked around 220-240* ?

Picked up this superior Ch rib eye angus PR roast. 14.5#..
Going to smoke it on the 2nd for several guests. Needless to say, im more than slightly nervous, as this cost a bundle.
icon_eek.gif

My game plan is to smoke low and slow at 220-240 ish till a IT of 135, then cover and rest. Shooting for a IT of 140-145*. Am i pulling it too soon?

Im planning on a simple SPOG rub.

So if my pit is 220-240, how long am i looking until I get to my target temp?
Can i pull sooner, if my temp hits my "zone"? Foil, towel, cooler, for how long?
Prime Rib is the Easiest Smoke I ever do, with the Biggest Reward.

Here's a Couple Links---One in a Pan & One Not (Step by Step):

Smoked Prime Rib (47th Anniversary Dinner)
BTW: We've had them anywhere between 135° and 144°. I like them all, but our favorite is 142°IT.
Bear

Last edited:
You'll be fine,I like Al's advice under is better then over as you may have leftovers that you can hit with Cajun spice and grill or sear next meal.

140-145 is medium.

Al
Thought I should mention:

If he uses 220° to 240° smoker temp like he's planning, there will be no Med/Well Ends---The whole roast will be the same beautiful Pink, from Bark to Bark.

And if he uses 220° Smoker Temp, there won't be any Au Jus. All the Juices will stay inside the roast.

Bear

Thought I should mention:
If he uses 220° to 240° smoker temp like he's planning, there will be no Med/Well Ends---The whole roast will be the same beautiful Pink, from Bark to Bark.

And if he uses 220° Smoker Temp, there won't be any Au Jus. All the Juices will stay inside the roast.

Bear

Thanks for that tip, bear.. My wife likes her stuff , well, over cooked. Lol. I was planning to toss her slab on the gas grill for a few if the ends wernt to her liking. Wasnt planning on using a pan for this cook, so not worried about the jus.

Thanks for that tip, bear.. My wife likes her stuff , well, over cooked. Lol. I was planning to toss her slab on the gas grill for a few if the ends wernt to her liking. Wasnt planning on using a pan for this cook, so not worried about the jus.
I understand entirely.

The only way you can get the ends more done than the middle, while smoking would be to use a higher smoker temp, like maybe 275° or more. Then the ends would be done more, and so would the perimeter of the whole roast.

Below is a list of all of my Step by Step Prime Ribs.

You can look at each one, and look at the Temp I pulled it (in the smoking schedule), and then look at the pics below that to see the interior color.

Mine are all Smoked at between 220° and 240° smoker temp, and were all taken to between 137° and 144° IT.

Like I said earlier, they were all awesome, but Mrs Bear & I agree that our favorite IT is 142° (Pink from Bark to Bark, but not chewy like Raw Meat).

Smoked PRIME RIB (Multiple Woods)    
Smoked Prime Rib  (Panned)   

Smoked Prime Rib (Panned #3)  

Bear

Last edited:
I understand entirely.
The only way you can get the ends more done than the middle, while smoking would be to use a higher smoker temp, like maybe 275° or more. Then the ends would be done more, and so would the perimeter of the whole roast.
Below is a list of all of my Step by Step Prime Ribs.
You can look at each one, and look at the Temp I pulled it (in the smoking schedule), and then look at the pics below that to see the interior color.
Mine are all Smoked at between 220° and 240° smoker temp, and were all taken to between 137° and 144° IT.
Like I said earlier, they were all awesome, but Mrs Bear & I agree that our favorite IT is 142° (Pink from Bark to Bark, but not chewy like Raw Meat).

Smoked Prime Rib (My Best Ever)    

Smoked Prime Rib (In a Pan)

Smoked Prime Rib (Another One)

Smoked Prime Rib (Great Stuff)

Smoked Prime Rib

Smoked PRIME RIB (Multiple Woods)   

Smoked Prime Rib (Panned)  

Smoked Prime Rib (Panned #3) 

Bear

Bear, I've been through each of those links. There's not one that i wouldn't be proud of. If mine comes out anywhere near any of those, I'll be golden :yahoo:

Bear, I've been through each of those links. There's not one that i wouldn't be proud of. If mine comes out anywhere near any of those, I'll be golden
yahoo.gif
Prime Rib really is easy---Follow any one of my Step by Steps, and yours will be Perfect too!!

You can change things after you have one or more under your belt (Pun intended).
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Bear

Bear, this was the best PR ive ever had. Want to thank everyone for their help. I'll be posting pics of the cook soon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky