First Kielbasa run with the new grinder and stuffer.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billdawg

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Coastal Georgia
So, after asking for some advice from those in the know about all things sausage, I made my first kielbasa Sunday. Thanks for all of the help Boykjo, nepas, chefJJ, GrayStratCat and anyone else I might have missed. It was a solo attempt, so there are only a couple of pics. Kinda hard to take very many when your hands are covered in ground pork. I ended up using GrayStratCat's recipe, but I backed off on the garlic a little bit. They came out really good. I am not upset at all with the results. here are the pics I do have.

10 lbs of fresh ground butt ready for the seasoning

676cc210_IMG_0949.jpg

After an hour and a half at 130*. Just adding the AMNS for some smoke and bumping to 165*. The little pieces of wood are small pieces of quarter round trim. I slid them between the links to keep the from touching.

019baca5_IMG_0951.jpg

This is them hanging in the spare bedroom on my wife's sweater hanger to bloom for 45 minutes. Had to get them away from the dogs, who were out in the hall drooling. This is where I hung them to dry before going in the smoker as well. This room still smells like sausage. LOL!

e206baa1_IMG_0956.jpg

My total timeline went like this. Got them stuffed and ready to hang dry at about 1:00 PM and then onto the rack to air dry for about 30 min with a box fan on low blowing on them. Into the smoker at 2:00 PM at 130* for an hour and a half. Bumped the temp up to 165* at 3:30 PM and added maple smoke with the AMNS. Probed with the thermometer at about 5:00 PM and let them go until they hit 152* at around 10:00 PM. Pulled them out and into an ice bath to cool off and stop the cook and then onto the rack to bloom for about 45 more minutes, then into the fridge till morning. It was a long day, but with football, beer, and some good friends, it was a good time. Did a taste test Monday morning for breakfast and was very happy. Got it all vacuum sealed and in the freezer.

Thanks again for all of the advice guys.

Oh, and whenever I do a longer smoke and my buddies are over, we tend to spend our time drinking beer and shooting guns. It was drizzling outside, so we couldn't shoot clay pigeons, so we plinked at cans and other items with a couple of pistols and a .22 rifle from the patio under the porch. This is what a sparkler looks like when hit with a .22. lol

9c4b5ee0_IMG_0953.jpg

The results after being hit twice

a19cbdac_IMG_0955.jpg

Those look great! I had the same problem with taking pics. Then I started using my waterproof camera and I wash it afterward! :)

nice sausage I bet it tastes amazing!

Awesome looking kielbasa Bill............ I bet they tasted great..... The only thing I see wrong is you didn't make enough.... just ask your friends........
biggrin.gif

Joe

icon_cool.gif

Now thats some good looking sausage you have there.

Thanks all for the kind words. With 2 successful batches under my belt, I am starting to feel a little more confident with sausage. Could not have done it without all of the help found in the threads here and the help offered from members. This hobby of smoking has taken on a life of it's own and is bordering on a weekend obsession!

the  kielbasa look great.  will have to make some soon . now just have to find GrayStratCat's recipe

They look fantastic. Can't wait to get my fam together and run some through the smoker myself. It will be the inaugural run of my stuffer too.

Great looking sausage and it looks like a fun day to boot 

the  kielbasa look great.  will have to make some soon . now just have to find GrayStratCat's recipe
 I am assuming since he posted this publicly in an earlier thread of mine, he won't mind if I share it.

I followed this recipe exactly except for the amount of garlic (personal taste). Do your fry test and you can judge where you might need to add or subtract.

This is for 10 pounds of ground pork (I like to keep my recipes gauged for 10 pounds that way I can adjust up or down fairly easy.  If you're doing 15 pounds add an extra half of what's listed below)

1 pint ice water

2 cups soy protein concentrate of non fat dry milk

3 Tablespoons of Salt (you can adjust this to your liking)

1 Teaspoon Sugar

2 LEVEL Teaspoons of Instacure #1

1 Tablespoon fresh cracked black pepper

1 Heaping Teaspoon Marjoram (you can adjust this to your liking as well)

10 cloves of fresh garlic, either diced fine of shot thru a garlic press.  I prefer using the garlic press method.

Obviously, any of the ingredients above - except the Instacure #1 - can be tweeked to your liking...just remember to do a fry test before you start stuffing.  And remember, the flavors of the seasonings are going to get a bit stronger (especially the garlic) and more blended after they've had more time in the meat/sausage. The fry test is a great way to take a quick test but the final product - especially after smoking - is going to taste different to some extent.

If your going to smoke the kielbasa, then you'll definitely want to dry hang the sausage overnight in a fridge.  The smell in that fridge will be awesome the next morning, but I would recommend using a second fridge if you can for the overnight drying because of the aroma!

Hope this helps.

They look fantastic. Can't wait to get my fam together and run some through the smoker myself. It will be the inaugural run of my stuffer too.
I am loving mine. It is a little more work than I originally though it would be, but the finished product makes it all worth the effort.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky