First DO

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks 
points.gif

Wildflower, cooking in Dutch ovens will open up a whole new culinary experience for you and Campmaster has given you some great info.

My DO's have been kind of in retirement; they just put me back into the Scouting program where I live (brought me out of Scouting retirement) so I know that those black pots of mine will be getting a work out.

Dutch oven chicken is amazing. One time my best buddy and I were camping out on the coast, and we had my 12 inch Lodge, a chicken, a 6-pack, some spuds, two sticks of butter, bread and a head of garlic. 

Roasted the chicken with bay leaves (sourced in-camp) served with mashers and garlic bread. We used all the drippings from the chicken as the liquid for the mashers, and the extra garlic we roasted in some butter in a beer bottle whose contents we sacrificed to make sure the bird stayed moist, we also used said bottle as a potato masher.

I just starting lurking around this section of the forum. This all reminds me of years ago when I was in boy scouts. I can't count the amount of cooking that we did in dutch ovens. Most memorable things were baking biscuits in them as well as the most incredible cobblers I can imagine. I don't remember the recipes 100% but expect I could wing it pretty well if I had the opportunity. Dutch ovens were the best things while camping. I'm going to start "cruising yard sales" soon. If I don't find something soon, I'll start looking at bass pro shops, cabelas etc. This section has brought back a lot of good memories. Thanks, Greg

You can get the Lodge stuff off Amazon. Almost everything else is Chinese, except La Cruiset which is French.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky