First Canadian Bacon with Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin-jim

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Portland Oregon
Hi All,

Thanks for all of the advice the past few days. I have my first CB dry rubbed and in the fridge for the cure. I am using TQ with garlic and onion powders. I figure it will take 7 -8 days for the cure then into the smoke. It will be a long week. I am attempting to include pictures. I hope it works.
9d738626_vbattach23256.jpg

e3ac1ef1_vbattach23257.jpg

It will be long but well worth it. Cant wait to see the results.

Yes indeed the witing Bites for sure. But the end results will make it all worth it to. Then a word of advice is have you another loin for the next one because this one wouldn't last that long once you smoke it.

Looks like a good start and yea the wait stinks!

Hi All, I am 2 days into the cure. I have used 1 TB per pound of meat as directed.

When I look at the Qview's of others during the cure I see lots of liquid in the bags. I am starting to see a little of it in mine as well.

Here is the question. I used my vacuum sealer to close the bags as suggested. Will this effect the amount of liquid visible since it is tightly sealed around the meat? Will I see more or less, and what time frame should I expect to see it?

From the other posts I believe that it should cure slightly faster, but I haven't seen the liquid part addressed.

Thanks for your help.

Sound like it is happening...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

And The Wait Goes On... Tick Tock.

It will get there, just be patient...

Most likely you will see less liquid because of the vacuum seal.
I have done pastrami wrapped in plastic wrapped and also vacuum sealed and the ones that aren't completely sealed always tend to have a bit more liquid come out.
Sealing will also help get the cure going through the meat a little quicker but not by any extremely big difference so I would just let it go the full cure time.
Make sure you are turning and massaging at least once a day to get that cure nice, deep and evenly distributed.

Hi All,

This is Canadian Bacon.

I used 1 TBSP of TQ per lb of meat. It has been in the fridge for 8-9 days with a vacuum seal bag. I just did the fry test. I am slightly concerned. It wasn't bright pink like I have seen pics on the buck board bacon. It was uniform in color and slightly pink but not at all bright.

I soaked for 2 hours and changed the water every 20 minutes. It tasted fine, not salty at all. Am I ok here or do I need to start over? I don't want to make my family sick.

You should be good to go Jim. I notice the same thing with the loin meat. What internal temp are you going to smoke it to?

I think you are fine. I noticed the same thing on a couple I did a few months ago. I had one loin with part of another muscle group (separated by a thin layer of fat) on the bottom and it was light pink and the extraneous piece of pork was bright pink. It turn out great for me.

Its good to be concerned, but it looks like you did everything Okay. Smoke it up and let us know how it tastes.

I plan on smoking it to an internal temp of 160. I want to be able to use it for sandwiches without further cooking. Should I keep the smoker between 180 and 200? I am planning to use a mixture of alder cherry and apple wood. Would hickory be too strong?

Thanks for all of your help.

Here are the pictures of the fry test. I am going to smoke them up today.
They did taste really good, but not bright pink like BBB. Does this look right to you?

I am in the same position.
Smoking tomorrow, so I rinsed today and did a test fry. Meat was good, but not pink/red like I see CB normally is.

Mine cured 8 days. I do notice also that there is one part that is pinker.
Smoke tomorrow with Hickory.

Any suggestions for what to coat it with before I smoke. I have 2 pieces.
I was thinking ground black pepper on one. Maybe Brown sugar or I also have some molasis laying around for the other.

Can't wait.

When you did the fry test did it taste hammy or more like a pork chop? CB will have a hammy taste to it. In my (short) experience, the color of a cured loin is usually a lighter color. Nothing like buckboard or the like.

Careful with the toppings while you smoke it. If you use alot of sugar then you don't want to scald or burn it by smoking it at high heat. I have used onion powder, garlic powder and a little brown sugar and it has been pretty good.

Here is my first CB, and yes I was concerned with it as well...
img1850d.jpg

I have done a few more since then and the color has been similar but they all have been great.

Here is the inside of my Capacola made from a loin roast.
img1851tai.jpg

Hope this helps.....

Ok. They are off of the smoker. I will post more Qview tomorrow. I think I may have hit a home run here. They look great.

Ok, I have sliced it up and we had sandwiches and plenty to munch on. The family says that this must be done again. thanks for all of your help. See the qview below.

Going into the smoker.

After the smoke to 160.

CB after slicing.

The final Product.

Thanks again for all of your help and encouragement.

Yup----That would be a homerun !
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Now add to that some Belly Bacon & some Buckboard Bacon for the "Grand Slam" !

Melts in your mouth, doesn't it, nothing like the $7 per pound rubber CB you buy in the stores, or the rawhide CB they serve in restaurants.

Bearcarver

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky