First Brisket w/ qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grillin_all_day

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 5, 2008
Barksdale Air Force Base, LA
Well, it's just above freezing here in Ohio today with an 80% chance of rain starting around 7 p.m., so most normal people would be staying inside.....not me though! I got a 14 lb brisket sitting in the fridge right now that I rubbed and injected this morning at 3:30 that will be going into the smoker at 7 tonight. I was so dedicated to doing this smoke, I went out and bought a canopy just so everything would stay nice and dry! Anyway, enough teasing, here is a qview of the brisket right before it went into the fridge

I played around with my rib rub and altered it for the brisket. The rub consists of:
Light Brown Sugar
Sea Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Salt
Mustard Powder
Paprika
Cayenne Pepper
This is the first time I've used an injection in the smoking process, but that consisted of:
1.5 Cans beef broth
1 Stick of butter
Sea salt
Pepper
Garlic and onion powder

I'll be using the injection to mop the brisket as well. More to follow since I'll be up all night!

Looks like a great start.

A couple of suggestions though-
When you apply your rub, cover all the meat. I see in your pic above that the edge doesn't have any rub on it.

In your rub recipe I see you are using sea salt and onion salt. If you notice that your bark is a tad salty or if you have health concerns regarding sodium intake; replace your onion salt with onion powder.

Looking forward to your finished smoke!!

I noticed that edge this morning too after I used up all the rub. I was half asleep (I know thats not an excuse!) and had to get back up in a couple of hours to take my kids to school. Also, I normally use onion powder in all my rubs, but I was running low and wanted to save what I had left for the mop. I used the onion salt in moderation and tasted the rub throughout the process to ensure it wasn't too salty. It has a nice balance, but in the future, it will be onion powder.

Looks like you're off to a great start. Like Dutch said, just careful with the sodium amounts, especially if in the injection/mop the beef broth isn't low sodium or the butter unsalted.
Good luck!

Good start -- look forward to seeing the finished product!

It's a beautiful day here in North East Ohio.....and don't ya know it, I have to be at work all day! It's a great day to be tending the smoker!

I agree on the fact that you're off to a good start. Dutch provided you with words of wisdom and experience. Good luck my friend.

Yes sir you are off to a great start on your brisket and no you not alittle crazy to be smoking in a such freezing temps and pouring rain. You will just fit in alitle better around here. keep up the Qview too.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Well, I set my canopy up this afternoon, but its one of the sturdy ones without any sides. No big deal though, I have it set up by my little shed and took an 8X10 tarp and zip tied to the other side where the winds coming in. It's gonna work like a charm, although I should have done it earlier cause my hands are numb!!! All I gotta say is its freezing, its raining, but man I'm gonna have a great night since I get to smoke, I got 2 kegs of homebrew and a case of Miller Lite!! Oh, and BBQ Pitmasters comes on tonight too, so now I got a triple effect.

At 225*F smoke chamber temp. and off at 190*F IMT, we should see you around 2pm Sat. (if you start Fri. nite).Be sure to have your drinks don't run out!LOL
tongue.gif

Have fun and where are you from "T"town?

LOL I think I'm set on the brews! Well, it just went in about 15 mins ago, and for as cold as it is, the old GOSM is hovering right around 250 (using hickory) with the vent half way open. So, in about 2 hrs, I'll head out and mop it just before Pitmasters starts to get my in the mood to watch some que on t.v.!

Well, since I'm watching a Pitmasters for the second time tonight, I thought I'd post an udpate for those of us night owls on how its coming. The brisket has an internal temp of 131 after being in the smoker for almost 5 hrs. At least it's stopped raining, and I've only gone through 8 beers! Lol, I gotta go mop again in 30 mins, so I'll make sure to snap off a pic and post for all to enjoy.

Well, here's a qview of the brisket after 5 hrs

Its coming along pretty well. I also made a BBQ sauce to go along w/ it.

This is the first time I've made a BBQ sauce, but it tastes pretty darn good! The ingredients are:
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup Bicardi Gold Rum
3/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
6 shots worcestershire sauce
cayenne pepper (as much as you'd like)
garlic and onion powder (as much as you'd like)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups ketchup
2-4 shots liquid smoke
Season to taste w/ sea salt and pepper
Simmer for 15-20 mins
I really like the taste of the sauce. It has a little bit of sweet, followed by a little bit of heat with some smoke that you'd expect from a bbq sauce.

Well, it stalled this morning around 5:30 at 148 and started to rise after 8 a.m. However, 4 hours later, the temp has only raised 4 degrees to 152. I've got it in the thickest part of the meat, so maybe its just being stubborn. If I don't see a raise in temps when I go out again to mop 1.5 hrs, I'll take another probe thermometer out and stick it in another part of the brisket. Btw, the chamber temps have been holding between 240-250. Anyway, I did snap off a quick pic though!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky