First attempt at HotDogs with lots of Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike johnson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 9, 2012
Lacey, WA.
I saw some hot dog casings on ebay for a decent price and they state they are easy peel.We'll see about that after they cook.I changed up the recipee a bit by using 4lbs. of 80/20 ground beef and 2lbs. of ground fatty pork.

I ground the pork into the Food Processor and did a emulsification of the pork.

I them emulsified the ground beef and added to the pork.

I then mixed in the seasonings and the cure.

After the mixing I preped the stuffer. I like the look of the casings and hope they work out well.

And here they are after being stuffed. I will post some cooked pictures tomorow after I smoke them.

I also used garlic powder instead of onion powder. One thing I will do next time is put the mixture in the food processor a 2nd time after mixing to mix the pork and beef better.

Looks good so far... source for the casings or were they limited supply?

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Looks like you're off to a really good start!  I'm looking forward to the finished dogs 
241.png

The fat will act as a binder and hold the meat together

Looking real good so far.... 
popcorn.gif

Hopefully in the near future I'll give it a whirl too, for the first time. You haven't lived until you've made your own hot dogs... right? L
biggrin.gif
 L

Well it is all done and I'm very happy with the final product. The taste was good and Im sure I will make these again. I smoked for 1 hour at 140 no smoke then cooked at 160 for an hour and a half with pitmaster pellets. I then pulled and finished up to temp in a water bath. Here are the final picks.

How they look.

Cross section

In the bun :)

And here is what I have left.

Last edited:
They were unbelievably easy to peel if you want to call it that. I cut 1 end and pushed from the other like a kid would do eating a Go-Gurt or ( Otter-Pop ) for us old guys. They sliped right out. I was amazed at how easy it was.

Looks great.

I bought the same casings on ebay. Seems like a very good deal. They peeled very easy.
They were unbelievably easy to peel if you want to call it that. I cut 1 end and pushed from the other like a kid would do eating a Go-Gurt or ( Otter-Pop ) for us old guys. They sliped right out. I was amazed at how easy it was.
Good deal - thanks 
smile.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky