First attempt at a pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Best to finish it up then before you're finished!
wife.gif

roflmao.gif

New update temp is at 142°. Just bumped the temp to 240°. Once IT hits 160° I'll drop it into the foil pan and then cover. Only hickup so far. My AMPS jumped to the second row prematurely.
You don't have your AMNPS close to a heating element which can make it jump rows, so I'll give you other reasons for the burning pellet jumping rows:

Rows filled too full------I like to keep the top of the pellets down about 1/4" to 3/8" from the top of the interior walls.

Also if the AMNPS is in an enclosed container with a ceiling too low, it can build up enough heat to light another row.

Bear

That looks really good I did my first pork sholder today, it turned out very nicely also if I say so myself. Yours looks as if it has a better bark, mine was only 4 lbs so it didnt smoke as long, just wonder if that has anything to do with it.

You don't have your AMNPS close to a heating element which can make it jump rows, so I'll give you other reasons for the burning pellet jumping rows:

Rows filled too full------I like to keep the top of the pellets down about 1/4" to 3/8" from the top of the interior walls.

Also if the AMNPS is in an enclosed container with a ceiling too low, it can build up enough heat to light another row.

Bear
I know why it jumped. When I was lighting it at first both rows lit at the same time, oops. Didn't realize it.  Lol. But I will definitely keep those other things in mind.
That looks really good I did my first pork sholder today, it turned out very nicely also if I say so myself. Yours looks as if it has a better bark, mine was only 4 lbs so it didnt smoke as long, just wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Thanks, it's a 9 lb butt. May have something to do with it. What temp did you cook it at? I learned so far that on small pieces of you start out athe a much lower temp to extend the smoke time, just don't puncture the meat at all, and don't inject it if you are going to do this. 

I kept it at 225 to 235 forever is seemed like, I didn't think it would ever hit 160 so I could wrap it, I used the apple juice concentrate hit it every 40 to 50 min with a heavy mist. Has very flavorful bark and as my wife put it when I unwrapped it she said and I qote, OMG don't spill Any of that Puddle O Love. Needless to say it was juicy. :drool

I kept it at 225 to 235 forever is seemed like, I didn't think it would ever hit 160 so I could wrap it, I used the apple juice concentrate hit it every 40 to 50 min with a heavy mist. Has very flavorful bark and as my wife put it when I unwrapped it she said and I qote, OMG don't spill Any of that Puddle O Love. Needless to say it was juicy.
drool.gif
Maybe opening every hour had something to do with it?

Ok thanks, this has been a very good day learned alot, maybe I'll try it without the pan of water and mist with the apple juice concentrate? Remove from foil then hit it with 300+ degrees to crisp the bark a little. Your thoughts then I'll let you be. Thanks for corrisponding to me.

If you want a crisp bark, then try not foiling at all. Just leave it be in there and bump the heat up 25 degrees or so if you want to power through the stall.

A pork butt is very forgiving and will not dry out on you, even unfoiled and smoking at higher temps.

I don't foil anything that goes in my smoker anymore unless I know I'm running short on time and don't want guests waiting.

I smoked this with the fat cap up so that the rendering fat would keep the meat  moist.  That's correct right. 

I smoked this with the fat cap up so that the rendering fat would keep the meat  moist.  That's correct right. 
No right or wrong way
biggrin.gif

Some go fat up, some go down. For briskets I go fat cap down to protect the meat. For pork butts, I remove the fat cap entirely to get more bark. There is enough fat inside a pork butt to keep it moist.

Last edited:
Captrichc,

That looks Awesome!!
drool.gif

Just doesn't get better than that !!
drool.gif
----------------
points.gif

Nice Job!
icon14.gif

Bear

Captrichc,

That looks Awesome!!
drool.gif

Just doesn't get better than that !!
drool.gif
----------------
points.gif

Nice Job!
icon14.gif

Bear
It was SOOO GOOD.  My only gripe was the pork cooled extremely fast once pulled. Renewed the fat this morning off of the ajou* sp.  This morning.  Will use it to reheat for football today.

It was SOOO GOOD.  My only gripe was the pork cooled extremely fast once pulled. Renewed the fat this morning off of the ajou* sp.  This morning.  Will use it to reheat for football today.
I have that cooling off problem with all my food, since I don't gobble my food like I used to.

My Sizzle plates do a good job keeping my plated food warm.  I just Nuke my Sammies a little before eating.

Keep up the Great Work!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky