Finally got a snack stick recipe that I love.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank you for the recipe Rich. These were the first sticks I attempted about 2 weeks ago. I started with 5lb 80 20 ground beef they lasted maybe 5 days. Just finished my second batch which was 10lb, maybe it will last longer this time.
20180224_181506.jpg

Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) for short AKA/ "Accent" seasoning at the grocery store.

Some people will try and tell you MSG is Baaaaaaad for you. It's been used in food in the USA for over 100 years and if you read the studies they have to force feed rats a re-dunk-culous amount before it causes problems (I also remember the study in the 1970's where some researcher inserted sterile dimes into rats body cavity and it caused cancer so by the same re-dunk-culous correlation, all dimes should have been banned, but I digress). Yes, like most substances, there is a small percentage of the population who can have an allergic reaction. If you have ever eaten oriental food, you have eaten MSG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate

And Rich, great looking sticks. I'm saving this recipe and will give it a try also. Thanks for sharing!
I started with Bear Carver's recipe for his Bear Loaf, and did several mods to it untill I have what I like for a very good flavored snack stick. Here is what I have come up with.

5 # ground meat or your choice

1 Tbls Blk Pepper

1 Tbls Red Pepper Flakes

1 Tbls Whole Mustard seed

1 Tbls Crushed Fennel

1 Tbls Crushed Anis

1 Tbls Garlic powder or granulated Garlic

1 Tbls Onion Powder or Granulated onion

1 Tbls M S G

2 Tbls Paprika

1 tsp Cayenne pepper or to taste

Mix all the above ingredients together in a separate

bowel

In a separate Bowel Mix

4 tsp Sea or Kosher salt

1 tsp Cure 1

2 1/2 oz Soy sauce

2 1/2 oz Worcestershire sauce

1 oz Liquid smoke

4 oz ice cold water

Then mix the below ingredients with the top ingredients and mix well, Until very sticky,

I went ahead and stuffed into 21 mm collagen casings and let bloom in fridge all night.

The next morning, put in 100 degree preheated smoker and left until casings were dry to the touch, Then I put my amzn-p in with 1 1/2 row of a blend of hickory, cherry and maple pellets & lit one end.

over the course of 8 hrs, I slowly increased the chamber heat but never going over 170 degrees until IT of stick hit 155 Degrees, at which time I cut the heat off and left hang in the smoker all night long, Nightly out door temp was right at 38 degrees.

In a brown paper bag & in the fridge till day after tomorrow, then will vac pak what left and freeze.

Thanks Rich!! What a great recipe!! Smoked it today and it is excellent!!!!!

I started with Bear Carver's recipe for his Bear Loaf, and did several mods to it untill I have what I like for a very good flavored snack stick. Here is what I have come up with.

5 # ground meat or your choice

1 Tbls Blk Pepper

1 Tbls Red Pepper Flakes

1 Tbls Whole Mustard seed

1 Tbls Crushed Fennel

1 Tbls Crushed Anis

1 Tbls Garlic powder or granulated Garlic

1 Tbls Onion Powder or Granulated onion

1 Tbls M S G

2 Tbls Paprika

1 tsp Cayenne pepper or to taste

Mix all the above ingredients together in a separate

bowel

In a separate Bowel Mix

4 tsp Sea or Kosher salt

1 tsp Cure 1

2 1/2 oz Soy sauce

2 1/2 oz Worcestershire sauce

1 oz Liquid smoke

4 oz ice cold water

Then mix the below ingredients with the top ingredients and mix well, Until very sticky,

I went ahead and stuffed into 21 mm collagen casings and let bloom in fridge all night.

The next morning, put in 100 degree preheated smoker and left until casings were dry to the touch, Then I put my amzn-p in with 1 1/2 row of a blend of hickory, cherry and maple pellets & lit one end.

over the course of 8 hrs, I slowly increased the chamber heat but never going over 170 degrees until IT of stick hit 155 Degrees, at which time I cut the heat off and left hang in the smoker all night long, Nightly out door temp was right at 38 degrees.

In a brown paper bag & in the fridge till day after tomorrow, then will vac pak what left and freeze.

I love this meat stick recipe!

Attachments

• 20220118_102133.jpg
    20220118_102133.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220118_102245.jpg
    20220118_102245.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220117_084608.jpg
    20220117_084608.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 18
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky