Final Smoked Salmon with recipe, instructions, and Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tough luck on the Salmon, but glad you got a mess of Trout !!! When you post the Trout smoke, don't let me miss it !  I hate missing Great posts!!!

Bear
Yes enjoy the trout. They are very different when smoked but I adore smoked trout 
icon14.gif

Trout is better than salmon anyway
icon_biggrin.gif
This is generally true, however the bigger the trout, the more it is like Salmon. Trout over 20" aren't as good made without smoking, as smaller ones are. Also trout over 24" are just about exactly like Salmon, and in my opinion should be smoked.

Bear

This is generally true, however the bigger the trout, the more it is like Salmon. Trout over 20" aren't as good made without smoking, as smaller ones are. Also trout over 24" are just about exactly like Salmon, and in my opinion should be smoked.

Bear
You are correct Bear.  Salmon is a great fish for smoking.   I als like trout just about every way I've had it.  I've had some salmon paddies for instance that were oh so bad!!! 

LOL

New to the forum here. Bear, really enjoyed your post.  You use many similar techniques I do for my smoked fish business.  Had a question about frozen fillets - how were you able to form a pellicle?  Every time I've messed around with frozen (Atlantic (Faroe, Chilean, Canadian), Keta, Sockeye, Coho, etc), I've never been able to come close to forming a pellicle.  Needless to say, it'd prove very valuable to be able to use frozen while maintaining the results I and my customers demand.  I also notice the obvious texture and color change that takes during the freezing process.

Sounds like you had some success!  I would love to hear your take!  Thanks!

-Matt, The Amazing Smokehouse

Safe to eat?

Nothing to do with your smoking methods,which look great btw, but when I was fishing for salmon in Pulaski some 20 yrs. ago you were taking your life in your hands if you ate the fish. Have they changed the recommendations?

Safe to eat?

Nothing to do with your smoking methods,which look great btw, but when I was fishing for salmon in Pulaski some 20 yrs. ago you were taking your life in your hands if you ate the fish. Have they changed the recommendations?
It seems in some places 90% safer, but I believe they are still about the same as fish in most other states. The Salmon at Pulaski come from Lake Ontario, so the article below should pertain to the Pulaski Salmon Run.

There are warnings from just about every state to limit consumption of many types of fish.

Bear

US - Lake Ontario's fish are now safe to eat and the restictions of chinook salmon fishing have been relaxed but the advice is still to limit consumption of fish caught in the lake.

More than three decades after New Yorkers were first warned to limit their consumption of Lake Ontario fish, levels of toxic chemicals in the fish have plummeted. 

Democrat and Chronicle  reports that concentrations have fallen by more than 90 per cent in some cases, the state stopped testing regularly for one of the most-feared chemicals years ago, and the advisory was relaxed recently for the lake's premier sport fish, chinook salmon. 

A top state health official said the advisories could be dramatically loosened "if levels continue to progress as they have". 

Yet for now, state officials say the Lake Ontario fishing advisories – which recommend no more than one meal a month of many species, and no meals at all for children or women who may become pregnant – will remain as they are. 

"It's frustrating that they are still at levels we consider to be of concern," said Edward Horn, director of environmental health assessment for the state Department of Health. "We're learning that one of the major problems with a lot of these chemicals ... it's going to be a devil of a problem to try and control them." 

Another longstanding problem with the advisories remains as well: many people who eat fish from Lake Ontario do not know about the advisories, do not understand them or simply ignore them. 

As a new study by researchers at the University of Rochester Medical Center demonstrates afresh, the lack of adherence is particularly acute among people who tend to eat the most lake fish. Only one-third of people who said they eat locally caught fish regularly knew the government had issued health advisories, researchers found in a survey, and fewer than one in 20 fish consumers were able to correctly answer a battery of health-related questions about their fare. 

Like the University of Rochester work, other surveys have shown that anglers have some awareness of the warnings but others who eat the fish are often in the dark. 

According to Democrat and Chronicle, the Health Department first issued advisories for Lake Ontario fish in 1978 over concern that the insecticides DDT and mirex, and several other toxic chemicals, were accumulating in the fishes' fatty tissue. 

Worry about most of these compounds has abated, but polychlorinated biphenyls, or PCBs, remain a major problem. The level of PCBs, primarily used in electrical equipment, has gone down, but not enough, Horn said. PCBs are probable carcinogens, and studies have blamed them for low birth weight and development shortcomings in infants whose mothers eat tainted Great Lakes fish.

TheFishSite News Desk

New to the forum here. Bear, really enjoyed your post.  You use many similar techniques I do for my smoked fish business.  Had a question about frozen fillets - how were you able to form a pellicle?  Every time I've messed around with frozen (Atlantic (Faroe, Chilean, Canadian), Keta, Sockeye, Coho, etc), I've never been able to come close to forming a pellicle.  Needless to say, it'd prove very valuable to be able to use frozen while maintaining the results I and my customers demand.  I also notice the obvious texture and color change that takes during the freezing process.

Sounds like you had some success!  I would love to hear your take!  Thanks!

-Matt, The Amazing Smokehouse
Thanks Matt !!

Hmmm, the only frozen Salmon I ever used were whole fillets that I froze myself. I don't know about store bought frozen Salmon Fillets, but mine seem to be no different than fresh, after thawing & brining. I didn't notice a problem forming a pellicle with these.

As for color, these Salmon from the Spawning run, at Pulaski, NY, don't have the deep "salmon" color to begin with.

Bear

Did you think someone would be coming back to your post to see how to smoke some salmon...  Almost 4 years later!!!    Good stuff, another thank you for sharing.  Jeff

Did you think someone would be coming back to your post to see how to smoke some salmon...  Almost 4 years later!!!    Good stuff, another thank you for sharing.  Jeff
Thank You, Jeff !!!

This thread was made in America---Gotta last a long time. 
biggrin.gif

Bear

Reactions: smoker21
Thank you for all the hard work - I'll get started on mine right now and can't wait to eat it tomorrow.

One question though:  Why is it better to take the skin off?  I would think the skin keeps it from sticking, avoiding the Pam spray on the racks and possibly adding some flavor from the extra fat...?

Thank you for all the hard work - I'll get started on mine right now and can't wait to eat it tomorrow.

One question though:  Why is it better to take the skin off?  I would think the skin keeps it from sticking, avoiding the Pam spray on the racks and possibly adding some flavor from the extra fat...?
I do it because I can get more smoke into the meat without the skin on, and I'm smoking it real hard for snacking. Pretty much the same reason as I remove Belly Skin before I cure & Smoke Bacon.

Also, it's too late for me, but if my Son & his Wife are going to eat some, the state Fish Commissions warn that the skin and fat contains much of the accumulated Toxins in fish. We used to eat fish skin all the time, but skin from Big Salmon that are on a spawning run isn't great eating anyway.

As for sticking, if you don't want to spray racks you could get some "Q-Matz" to put the fish on. Amazing Smokers sells them (Below).

Bear

I do it because I can get more smoke into the meat without the skin on, and I'm smoking it real hard for snacking. Pretty much the same reason as I remove Belly Skin before I cure & Smoke Bacon.

Also, it's too late for me, but if my Son & his Wife are going to eat some, the state Fish Commissions warn that the skin and fat contains much of the accumulated Toxins in fish. We used to eat fish skin all the time, but skin from Big Salmon that are on a spawning run isn't great eating anyway.

As for sticking, if you don't want to spray racks you could get some "Q-Matz" to put the fish on. Amazing Smokers sells them (Below).

Bear
There goes my salmon skin hand roll ... :-( 

Thanks Bearcarver

Well, I followed your instructions, with the exception that I used pecan wood and removed the skin after smoking the fish, because it was already in the brine by the time I read your response. Came out GREAT.
Half was eaten for lunch and the other half I mixed whipped cream cheese, chives, capers, Lemmon juice and smoked salmon for a delicious spread on some good bread.
Thanks again for the great advice and directions!

Well, I followed your instructions, with the exception that I used pecan wood and removed the skin after smoking the fish, because it was already in the brine by the time I read your response. Came out GREAT.
Half was eaten for lunch and the other half I mixed whipped cream cheese, chives, capers, Lemmon juice and smoked salmon for a delicious spread on some good bread.
Thanks again for the great advice and directions!
Thank You Lars!!

Sounds Great !!!

Glad it worked good for you!!

Bear

Came out epic, especially for my first smoke. Had a bit of trouble getting smoke below 170 degrees, but jumped things up a bit till smoke got going. Took about 6 hours, got an internal temp of 155 on my thickest piece and called it quits. Very happy with the results. I was thinking it was going to be a bit sweet for my taste, but not at all so. Stoked to start off on a good note. Thanks Bearcarver !

Came out epic, especially for my first smoke. Had a bit of trouble getting smoke below 170 degrees, but jumped things up a bit till smoke got going. Took about 6 hours, got an internal temp of 155 on my thickest piece and called it quits. Very happy with the results. I was thinking it was going to be a bit sweet for my taste, but not at all so. Stoked to start off on a good note. Thanks Bearcarver !
Thanks yjay !!!

I'm always glad to hear when somebody has success when following one of my Step by Steps. You made my day!!

Too many people skip leaving me a comment, probably because they don't want to crowd my threads, but I love to hear about it! !!

Thanks Again for letting me know, yjay!!

Bear

Hi all, completed my very first smoke ever today!  I had my salmon in brine before I found this thread, but followed Bear's instructions on how to smoke them.  The results are fantastic!

For starters, here's the brine recipe I used that I randomly found on the Internet:

·          1 gallon water

·          1 cup kosher salt

·          1 cup white sugar

·          1 cup brown sugar

·          lemon pepper to taste

·          1 (3 ouce) package dry crab and shrimp seasoning mix

·          freshly ground black pepper to taste

·          4 cloves garlic, crushed or to taste

·          1 dash hot pepper sauce (optional)

·          4 lemons, sliced and crushed

·          2 oranges, sliced and crushed

·          1 line, sliced and crushed

·          1 large yellow onion, sliced

[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument></xml><![endif][if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles></xml><![endif][if gte mso 10]><style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-priority:99;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin-top:0in;mso-para-margin-right:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;mso-para-margin-left:0in;line-height:115%;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}</style><![endif]

I cut this whole recipe in half.  I didn't have crab/shrimp seasoning mix, so I left that out, and I didn't have oranges, so I dumped in some OJ.  I let it sit overnight, probably around 12-13 hours.  This morning I took it out of the brine and rinsed it off with cold water for a few minutes:

I've never done a brine before either, so I was a bit amazed how the color and texture of the meat changed.  You can see where the fold was to get it to fit in my pot, because that part is still salmon-pink.

After talking to Bear, I set my MES 40 electric smoker to 140.  Once the temp was reached, I put the meat in for 1 hour.  After an hour, I added 2 rows of Pitmaster's Choice pellets in my AMNPS and smoked for 4 hours.  After that I stuck the meat probe in a thick piece, cranked the temp up to 180, and waited for the internal temp of the meat to reach 140.  Well, actually, it wouldn't get past 126 after about an hour and a half, so I decided to move the probe into another piece of meat and it read over 150.  I think I just had it placed wrong in the first piece. 

The pieces on the top rack came right off, but the ones on the second rack stuck pretty bad and I tore them up getting them off.  The stuck pieces made for some great snacks during clean-up :)  I know they're supposed to rest after taking them off, but being the first smoke and all, the wife and I decided to taste a sample.  And then another sample.  Then just a few more samples....   So now, here's all that's left:

I think my favorite pieces were the thin ones, although my wife thought I was crazy and loved all of them.  The majority of the flavor seemed to be in the outer crust, and the thin ones apparently just have a higher crust to salmon meat ratio :)  Either way, each piece I ate tasted better than the last and I couldn't be happier.

We were both very surprised that it was very rich and oily, almost greasy.  I'm not sure if that is what happens with the fish oils after smoking, or if it is a byproduct of the brine, and I'm not sure if I should leave it on there or wipe it off.  It was really tasty, but after sample #5 or 6 it started to get a little too rich.  Either way, we're terrified right now that the rest of the salmon won't make it to see tomorrow....

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky