Fed up with amns

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for the tips. Dont think I will get to try it tonight. It is going to be nasty. Rain/sleet and snow.

My smoker is in my basement and is about 60 degrees. Is that warm enough?

Thanks for the tips. Dont think I will get to try it tonight. It is going to be nasty. Rain/sleet and snow.

My smoker is in my basement and is about 60 degrees. Is that warm enough?
The trick is to keep you smoker warm enough to keep drafting, even when it's cold outside

Well tonight I put 1 cup of dust in the microwave for 1 min. then mixed it around and microwaved 1 min again.  I pulled the chip loader out of the unit and the chip tray out about 2 inches.  Got it lit and blew on it until I had a nice cherry going.  Guess what, it worked. It burned all of the dust.

Big thanks to all of you and to Todd.

Talked to Todd on the phone, big help.

Cheese is going on tomorrow.

I will take before and after pics.

My problem was I was expecting to see a glowing red cherry the whole time. When I first started I seen the cherry but I had to bath my son. After I done that I checked it and I had no cherry but still smoking. After supper it had burned out of dust.

Is it normal not to see a glowing red cherry during the burn?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Is it normal not to see a glowing red cherry during the burn?

Only in total darkness. as long as you see a steady stream of smoke you're OK. The most important thing inside the smoker is to get enough outside air necessary for combustion.

Well it was dark the whole time I was working with it tonight.  I would think in the dark it would be easier to see the cherry?  It all burned up so I must of had smoke the whole time?

e6e5evet.jpg

Here is the beginning of my cheese smoking.

I just started it.  Guess I will smoke for 2 or 3 hours.  I see smoke coming out of the vent.

Last edited:
lol I will post more pics.  Should the cheese turn dark on the outside?  Using maple dust.

Well its coming on 3 hours.  Should I pull the cheese off or keep it on.  I am smoking a mild cheddar and a white cheddar.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky