Experiment.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks guys! I appreciate the kudos very much.

I'll tell you exactly how I did it Mr T

I started with a 7.5 lb bone-in butt that came out of the freezer and thawed for 3 days in the fridge.

The brine was made as follows....... roughly 2 1/2 cups of pickling salt dissolved in a half gallon of hot tap water. Then I filled the rest of the gallon container with cold water.....(total liquid, 1 gallon)......pour that pitcher full of water into the cooler (I use a 28 quart cooler to do my brining). Next I took my frozen concentrated OJ (the large size) and frozen concentrated apple juice (the regular size) and dissolved those both with water in my pitcher.....(total liquid, 2 gallons)....dump that into the cooler too. I then put about 2/3's of a 10 lb bag of ice into the brine mixture in the cooler. Then I placed the butt into the cooler fat side up.....I put the fat side up so I wouldn't need to worry about trying to keep the butt submerged....Place the cooler in a cool area of the house (I put mine half way covering an A/C vent) and let it sit for 14 hours or so....(I just kept an eye on the ice to make sure there was enough to keep everything nice and cool) After 14 hours I dumped the rest of the 10 lb bag of ice into the cooler....I think the total amount of liquid ends up being just over 3 gallons when you include the ice. The total time in the brine ended up being a little over 24 hours.

I suspect that any sweet juice would work just fine for this.....pineapple would be awesome too I think. 

I should point out that there was not really any obvious "fruity" or "juice" flavor to the butt from just brining. Injecting might bring out more of that flavor but I'd be wary of acidic juices turning the meat mushy......but the sweetness certainly was apparent in the bark....which is my favorite part any way.

That's pretty much what I did. Pretty simple really.

If you try this please let us know how it turns out.....I'd like to know if it's repeatable!

Reactions: carbine1koos
Thanks very much.   Will go with a total of three gallons of liquid using 1 gallon of the different juices.

No need for ice here as I have a reach in cooler for such projects.

Will let you know how it turns out. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I'll tape my bear license on the front of the smoker, fair warning.  
781.gif
May be doing this with a bear roast before long.

Tom

One thing I should mention about my rub-less butt. I had never even thought about not using rub until I saw an episode of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. A guy on there did it that way and the host said that he was surprised how good it turned out without any spices. Sometimes his reactions to how the food tastes are a little tepid but he was pretty enthusiastic about how that final product turned out.

The bark was beautiful and the thin blue smoke that the WSM produces provided the perfect flavor profile. Pecan ended up being a pretty good fit for this particular smoke.......8 or 10 good sized chunks mixed throughout the charcoal. I suspect that any of the lighter woods will work just as well. The heavier woods such as hickory or mesquite might very well overpower the delicate flavor of the pork. But hey, some folks like their BBQ to be really smokey tasting. 

Last edited:
Thank you very much,  I'll go with 3 gallons of liquid figuring 1 gallon total juice.

No need for ice here as I have a reach in cooler.
I'll tell you exactly how I did it Mr T

If you try this please let us know how it turns out.....I'd like to know if it's repeatable!
7 pounder in the brine.  Will post final results here.  If it turns out well, I may start a new thread as not to risk thread jacking.

Tom

Reactions: damon555

Thank you very much,  I'll go with 3 gallons of liquid figuring 1 gallon total juice.

7 pounder in the brine.  Will post final results here.  If it turns out well, I may start a new thread as not to risk thread jacking.

Tom
hijack2.gif
    <= Points at Tom!!!  THREAD HIJACKER!!  <chuckles>

Damon,

As soon as I read your post, I instantly thought of pineapple juice. Now I'm considering injecting some in a butt, then brining in a pineapple juice/salt brine. Maybe even spritzing with it.

I'm anxiously awaiting the results of your experiment.

Monkey
38.gif
I injected a full Tequila Sunrise into a butt, once. It came out pretty good, too, but I also used a rub.

Tom
Excellent....I can't wait to see the outcome!....I sure hope I didn't steer ya wrong....but if it turns out like the one I did you should be pretty happy. 

You might check BDSkelly , I am thinking he did a pineapple injected butt  He was always big on fruit.
Bet that hurt.

Was inspired by Damon to go outside what I usually do with butt's on this one.  Going for complete easy peezy.

Wish I had some of Foams Ambrosia to go with it.

Damon, if it didn't sound good or was questionable, I wouldn't try it.

Tom

Tom
Thank you, Damon, for the inspiration to brine a butt.  The results were wonderful and something that surely will be repeated.  The only things that were done differently was the butt was injected and I used the Cookshack at high temps rather than my WSM, because of varmit problems.

My procedure can be found here,  Mr. T's "Easy Brined Pork Butt"

Thanks again.

Tom

Thank you, Damon, for the inspiration to brine a butt.  The results were wonderful and something that surely will be repeated.  The only things that were done differently was the butt was injected and I used the Cookshack at high temps rather than my WSM, because of varmit problems.

My procedure can be found here,  Mr. T's "Easy Brined Pork Butt"

Thanks again.

Tom
Successful experiments that are repeatable by others hopefully lead to more success......and an even better finished product with different variations. 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky