Electric trash can smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
OK.. my mes is  5460 cubed inches.

13 x 15 x 28 inside.   

Lets see what his is.

I have NO idea how wattage would compare to volume technically, not an Engineer here, but I know darn well the bigger the box, the more the heat needed.

Marc

You have  8482 cubed inches, I have 5460.... AND I have double walls.

You are 55% bigger than me volume.

So.. simplified...  IF mine held one cup, your would be a bit more than 1 1/2 cup.    Marc

Vents closed. And like I said, it was a new thermostat from Lowe's. Don't really have a way of double checking. I'll look and see if I have anything

I'm bound and determined to make this work. I only need about 30° more. Perhaps the insulation will get me there. And also I just eliminated the extension cord and it's the same.

ok   put some water in a small pot on the stove, get it boiling, put in therm AT LEAST 1/2 way up its shaft.

Mix around 20 second with water still boiling.

Read temp on therm, should be 212.  go do it, I'm curious what you read.  Marc

Ok just tested the thermostat. Tested accurate. Headed to Lowe's to look at some insulation, a grate to put the cast iron skillet, buckles or something of the sort to secure the door. I might even consider a small electric burner to boost the heat Abit more. Hoping that today is the day I can say I have a proper smoker.

Great to hear your thermometer is accurate.   A rarity.

It will not work to just "Add a hotplate" for various reasons.

Of course you will need to run a 2nd cord from a SEPARATE circuit , but that's just the first problem.

Start w the insul, and let us know what result you get.

Is the cast iron skillet going to be the "chip pan" ?

If so, just drill and do the bolt legs.

But, a little cheap 8x8 cake pan would be best.

The mass of the cast iron will take longgg preheat time to initially transmit heat to chips.              

I dunno what kind of grate you think you're gonna find, mostly because of the specific elevation of about 3/8" above element you need.

MAYBE you can find one w legs you can clip off to the right height, like on a cheap $8 grill. 

That's why the infinite adjustment bolt legs are great, no matter what pan you use.

Course, w the bolt legs, after you have yer first 6 pack of Leinie's, you gotta make sure you don't rip the element out if you remove it.

I just take a handful when necessary and reach in and drop in pan.

Actually, best would be a small grate that YOU put the bolt legs on to height, THEN you can slide your pan to hotter or cooler parts of element, and not worry about hurting or touching the element after the Leinie's.        Marc

Last edited:
Awesome frickin EXCELLENT.

And that's just with the River heating?

That insul made a much larger diff than I expected.

Would you please give me a link, or CLEARLY explain specifically what you got ?   Marc

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky