Electric trash can smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

northerner78

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 8, 2017
Wisconsin
So I'm almost done with my trash can build. The 1000w coil was only getting it to 180-200. So I went out today and picked up a 1500w trough warmer for horses. It was thermostatically controlled mean once the water would turn 40° it would turn on. So I dissected it and broke it down to just the coil. Now my 1000w coil was a portable burner with a control knob. Essentially all I did was unplug the old coil and plugged in the new coil. It did start getting hot but the contact points in the dimmer switch got glowing red. My question is. Should I get a more heavy duty dimmer switch? And also what exactly makes something 1500 watts opposed to 1000? Is it the size of the coil? Thanks in advance

Northerner - Welcome to the Forum !!  

Respectfully,  your post really concerns me safety wise.

To begin with..  If that warmer you got is made to be immersed, chances are it is not AT ALL gonna be suitable used NOT immersed..

Any livestock water warmer I have ever heard of HAS to be fully submerged.

Lot of folks here have made smokers in different enclosures, but the heating element stuff remains pretty much similar or same in most of them.

Probably best to look up posts in this "Electric Smokers" subforum and see what others did.

Lot's of experience in the old posts.

I would be extremely concerned about fire or shock hazard from what you describe.

I would VERY highly recommend getting this below and being done with it.

I don't care if you already spent money you can't get back.

This is the safe and easy way to do it without experimenting..... Plug and play.......as Safe as you can get.    Marc

http://rivercountry101.com/electric-smoker-grill-add-on-replacement-heating-element-controller/

Last edited:
Lastly, keep in mind insulating your enclosure can make a BIG difference.

Regular cheap unfaced fiberglass batting used for houses is fine if it works in your installation style scheme.        Marc

Thanks for the info as hard it was to choke down. The wife isn't to happy I wasted 30$. But in the name of safety I'll scrap it and do it the right way. I was looking at that coil you sent me and I kick myself for not choosing it. I will procure that coil and isulate the can. Would I put the insulation on the inside or outside? And what would I use to secure it to the sides of the can?

So I did some looking around and found this "bulk" insulation.

1" Thick Insulwool Ceramic Fiber Fire Retardant Blanket Insulation

This good stuff?

Definately outside of smoking chamber for insul.

How to cover ?

Infinite # of  possible ways.

All depends what look you want, how fancy or not you want to get.

And if in rain or not.

Your link looks good,, will shed less than fiberglass batt, but will still need to be covered.

But did you calc out what it will cost?

Your can outside surface area is ballpark 18 ft sq.

So with all kinds of piecing, ya still got about $250.

If you want to cover your can w just one seam you need to order about 7 lin ft of the 4' wide stock.

$392.

Sure you will have scrap, but only one seam.

Again, IF you piece it together, which should work if it's covered w something, still like $250.

Same square footage house insul can be got at local old time lumberyard from a broken bundle for like $10 - $15.

I would not worry about insulating till later.

Use it awhile, see how it works as is.

You got all summer to think about insul.

By wintertime, you may even decide you want a totally different smoker.

And the regular unfaced house insul is TOTALLY fine.

This ain't the belly of the Space Shuttle.   Marc

Last edited:
Tell the Wife you're learning, and could just say you need to buy a $2,000 smoker.

You are being frugal, I love it.

Learning is never cheap, and nothing is free.    Marc

Last edited:
Thanks Marc for your patience. I have the aforementioned element on order. Just a couple of things to iron out. Want to get a small rack to put my chip pan an inch or so above the element and some way to catch drippings. I also need to find a way to get a tighter seal on the bottom hatch. After all that I should be ready to roll.

Consider 1/4"  bolt "legs", and adjust so tray is about 1" above element.

Edit - more like 3/8" above element, now that I check better.

You may want to adjust that height after a few smokes to somewhat effect your amount of smoke.

But actually, maybe no need to change height, but just place it over different parts of the element...  less smoke over straight section, more smoke over "U" shape section.

Make sense?

Sandwich the pan sheetmetal between washers to stiffen the legs.

Like on this AMNPS tray -  

Last edited:
And if you can, post a few photos to help us.

Make sure you show details of that "hatch" and any air intake. 

And your plan for top venting.                   Marc

Last edited:
Shutters look good, you will probably end up running very close to closed on those stacks.

As a reference, most MES smokers have top vent total opening of about 1/2" diameter.

Yes, less than 1/2" sq. hole.

Meaning .25 / sq inch.

On the door, all I can think of is rivet on a flange all around.

Use two of the clips below, or something like them,  to keep it tighter, one on bottom of door in center, one on bottom below it.

So that should hold the flexy door pretty closed.

Actually, the leakage around that door will be PLENTY for ALL incoming air.

These turnbuttons and clips are normally used to hold screen windows on older homes,  two kinds...

Most hardware stores, especially in old parts of town will have both, possibly Big Boxes.

http://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/hanging-fasteners-screen-storm-snap?sc=12&category=91

http://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/hanging-fasteners-zinc-turn-buttons?sc=12&category=91

Last edited:
Rings - What are you burning in there?

Is it maybe getting too hot for the galvanized?

As long as the fire is somewhat separated from the galvanize, should be OK.

Looking at your photos again, looks like an excellent fit for that fire tray, plenty far away probably.

As long as not roaring fire, but looks like in your case will not be, being a smoker and not BBQ so much.

Marc

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky