Easy light charcoal/lighter fluid questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You have found out exactly why this site is so great. Everyone was eager to help. Each one had a slightly different attack, but each one would work in its own way. In my opinion, i will recap some of the suggestions in an order that should work well. I'm not any kind of expert, I'm just re-stating the suggestions. Much the same as if you had written them all in your log and were re-reading them for your next smoke.

1. Clean it out with soap and water. WSMs are porcelain and do not require much seasoning.
2. Get rid of the KBB and the lighter fluid
3. Get some Royal Oak or Stubbs or other good hardwood coal, preferably lump.
4. Start with a chimney
5. Get some Weber cubes or use the veggie oil on some paper.
6. Sometimes lump will spark in a chimney. Use lump for your bed of coals and to cook. Use briqs in the chimney to prevent the sparks.
7. Limp charcoal is good to cook with in a WSM. You can also add some flavor chunks or small splits.

Note: if (or when) you ever switch over to a stick burner, every suggestion above will work. Just enhance #7 for the time your cook chamber reaches your preferred cook temp. Then switch over to all wood splits.

Good luck with this and good smoking, Joe and all of the great folks that had great suggestions. :grilling_smilie:

Reactions: boblloyd91
Give the sidelight method a try. Works great with the WSM's and there's no wasting fuel. Had my 14.5" up to smoking temp in less than 10 minutes the other day and it was 14°f outside. For those that have never tried it you are missing out.

1. Fill charcoal ring with fuel and wood. Make sure one hole in ring is aligned with lower vent.

2. Put smoker together

3. Open all vents.

4. Light torch and place in one of lower vents.

5. Run the torch until your pit temp is 25°-30° degrees above your target temp. The pit temp will drop considerably.

6. If the pit temp settles 25° degrees or more below your desired  temp fire the torch again. If not let the pit com up by itself.

Slowly close one vent art a time. Always leave your exhaust wide open.

For higher temp smokes (above 300°), I will run the torch in more than one vent.

These were taken last summer:

Drizzle some veg oil or bacon grease 2-3 Tbs per sheet, on the news paper you start with. It doubles or triples the paper burn time as the fat burns before the bulk of the paper. That will give enough time to start the coals and smells good too...JJ

Yeah, I usually spray the newspaper with some Pam or other similar cooking spray. Bacon grease sounds good for the smell though!

I have been using this, https://bbqguru.com/storenav?CategoryId=9&ProductId=200 for a couple of years. I simply fill my charcoal ring and light the middle.
Takes 45 min. +/- for my wsm to hit approximately 200 degrees. At that point I just start closing down vents.

I don't recall paying that price but maybe? Either way it has served me well with my 2 wsm's and Weber ketttles. Also works well lighting a chimney. Just light from the top instead of the bottom (never had any issues).

Using the side light method I mention above you can be at coking temps (225-300+) in less than 15 minutes, even when outdoor temps are in single digits or less.

Using the side light method I mention above you can be at coking temps (225-300+) in less than 15 minutes, even when outdoor temps are in single digits or less.
Interestin, how long do you keep the torch in the side? I only keep my big torch in the middle for 30-35 seconds. Courius on how your method is so much quicker?

Interestin, how long do you keep the torch in the side? I only keep my big torch in the middle for 30-35 seconds. Courius on how your method is so much quicker?

Rdwhahb, do you use propane or MAPP gas? MAPP is much hotter. Also, lighting from the bottom creates a chimney effect.

Last edited:
I run the torch until my pit temp is 25-30 degrees above my desired pit temp. 3-5 minutes usually unless it cold. I let thenpit drop and stabilize. If it drops 25-30 degrees below my desired pit temp intorch again. This time only 15-20 above desired pit temp. Turn off torch allow to stabilize. If the pit is 15-20 below I let it come up by itself. All in all it usually only takes 15 minutes. Doesn't mater if I'm using propane or Mapp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky