Easy light charcoal/lighter fluid questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boblloyd91

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 22, 2016
Lynndyl, UT
So I'm in a bit of a pickle, I've been tinkering with my new WSM to get some practice with fire control and to season it. But I may have made a dumb mistake. Right now the weather is under 20 degrees and I foolishly bought some cheap store brand charcoal. After it wouldn't light using the usual methods, I gave in and used some lighter fluid. Even that wouldn't work. So I bought some easy light charcoal and put enough to cover half the charcoal ring, and put regular in the rest of the ring. I put several peach wood chunks and a generous portion of maple and apple chips to season the smoker. However, after about two hours and intermittent checking, I still smell nothing but lighter fluid. Will this eventually burn out, and the wood smell become more noticeable, or will this smell not be going away?

If it were mine... I would get the pressure washer out.... use my favorite cleaner (simple green) and maybe a brush... Wash/scrub the whole thing... and start over ...

I've been wondering that. If I need to try again tomorrow maybe I'll only use a handful of those easy light charcoal briquettes.

Please do not use that easy lite crap. It is concentrated evil. Throw that stuff away and swear to never buy that stuff again. Clean the pit or build a really hot wood or charcoal fire and burn any residue off. Get a chimney and do it right. Don't start off with bad habits and expect to produce good BBQ because you won't. There are no shortcuts to good BBQ.

Last edited:
Yes, like I said I tried to avoid lighter fluid at all costs, and was trying to light my charcoal via chimney starter....maybe I could put 5-6 briquettes at the bottom of the chimney that are easy start and fill the rest with regular. Then put more regular on in the charcoal ring using the minion method

Drizzle some veg oil or bacon grease 2-3 Tbs per sheet, on the news paper you start with. It doubles or triples the paper burn time as the fat burns before the bulk of the paper. That will give enough time to start the coals and smells good too...JJ

Reactions: boblloyd91
Drizzle some veg oil or bacon grease 2-3 Tbs per sheet, on the news paper you start with. It doubles or triples the paper burn time as the fat burns before the bulk of the paper. That will give enough time to start the coals and smells good too...JJ

How well will this work in cold weather?

Never tried it below 40 as this Old Guy don't grill in the cold. If the paper will light the heat generated in the chimney will light the briquettes. Give it a try as it has yet to let me down...JJ

Last edited:

If you are still having trouble go to. Lowes or Home Depot and go to the bbq section. They have these wax cubes that are made by Weber. They light immediately, and will burn long enough to get regular kings ford blue bag started. I found these after messing with the newspaper for awhile. These are much more convenient.

Over the years I've done all the above and still use my torch on occasion. But since I found a tip on here i've been using some alcohol in a small tin (tuna fish,crabmeat etc) under my starter. No paper smoke or ashes blowing around and really gets them going fast. Usually a half inch of alcohol is all I normally need. If it's windy a hunk of anything to make a shield for a windbreak helps out those coals getting started.

For cleaning, I would clean it using a natural cleaner (green clean, or the citrus based) then build a hot fire (300 Degree +) then start the seasoning process over.  Make sure you do the same to your racks that were in the smoker when you were using it.

For future lighting, either do as stated with vegetable oil on news paper, lately since we no longer get the paper I have been using paper bags from the grocery store.  I some times use the side burner on my gas grill, but it makes a bit of a mess (nothing a leaf blower does not fix).  As you along with many of us have learned, cheap charcoal will never save you money.

The problem with the match light charcoal, is the fluid absorbs deep into the charcoal and IMHO never burns off until the charcoal is completely turned to ash.  It is worse than using lighter fluid (which the only reason we have it in our house is for burning fire ant mounds)

Good luck and let us know if you get it cleaned up.

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Blast from the Past....Dad used so much lighter fluid the briquettes glisened. Was in my 20's before I learned Grilled food does not taste like a NJ Refinery is burning!...JJ

For cleaning, I would clean it using a natural cleaner (green clean, or the citrus based) then build a hot fire (300 Degree +) then start the seasoning process over.  Make sure you do the same to your racks that were in the smoker when you were using it.

For future lighting, either do as stated with vegetable oil on news paper, lately since we no longer get the paper I have been using paper bags from the grocery store.  I some times use the side burner on my gas grill, but it makes a bit of a mess (nothing a leaf blower does not fix).  As you along with many of us have learned, cheap charcoal will never save you money.

The problem with the match light charcoal, is the fluid absorbs deep into the charcoal and IMHO never burns off until the charcoal is completely turned to ash.  It is worse than using lighter fluid (which the only reason we have it in our house is for burning fire ant mounds)

Good luck and let us know if you get it cleaned up.

Smoke ON!

- Jason
So unfortunately even though I used only a small amount I still had that unpleasant smell. Not as bad but still need to reseason it.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to clean it up tonight then season it again soon

Last edited:
 You'll be fine. Toss the Easy Light and go on down the road. After (during) one good smoke you won't even know the stuff was ever in your cooker.

Fire burns, even when it is cold outside. It just requires more fuel for any given amount of BTUs.

You don't need any Easy Light on the bottom of the chimney starter, just fill the bottom portion with any of the good, workable stuff already mentioned above {paper, oil-soaked paper, wax cubes, paper egg cartons, small wooden tinder, alcohol (which will burn with little to no visible flame), propane torch, electric-coil charcoal igniter}, to ignite the charcoal which has been placed into the top portion.

Don't forget you have to at some point transfer the burning charcoal to the cooker, or the thing still won't work.

Place some suitable smoking wood on top of the now-burning charcoal and you will be on your way.

It will get easier.

Thanks. I have been using an offset smoker when I got into this hobby about two years ago, and picked up some bad habits, mainly using lighter fluid. My next goal is to make good clean tasty fires instead of easy ones.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky