Early Sunday Morning Baby Back Ribs on WSM!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

burm1000

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Salina KS
63C650EF-E666-4DE9-A2B3-4836A0CF93D0.jpeg
B0545AD5-4FF1-4E4C-8CA5-BB2EBBF47993.jpeg
Up early to smoke some ribs for a late lunch. It started yesterday with making and applying Jeff's rub with a little twist (1/2 smoked paprika and 1/2 regular paprika). I've never tried it before but doubt it makes a significant difference. If you haven't bought Jeff's recipe, you should! I cut mine in half for ease of handling. Here they are during the rubbing process which includes some yellow mustard to help hold the rub on.
Mustard.jpeg
Ribs Rubbed.jpeg

Did I mention up early? Coffee! HEB brand out of Texas. Here in KS we have to "import" from the online name of cafe ole.

coffee.jpg

Ribs went on about 6:30. Utilizing the 2,2,1 method (ish). Will use a foil pan with some apple sauce in the bottom for the 2nd 2 hour portion then spritz during final hour. I'll go to church during that stage. Hoping for an meaningful message from Pastor that will impact my life....just keep it concise, I have ribs on!

Plan is to pull them when IT is 195-198 range. I like bite off the bone which seems to be best at those temps.

Other details, using sand in the water pan of the WSM. I've been doing that a while and generally like it. Apple wood for smoke. Kingsford charcoal.

ribs on.jpg

About an hour in and temp holding around 225 and TBS (thin blue smoke) achieved. More later!

Moves to tented foil pan.

Took out of foil pan after 2 hours and back on to finish up. Added BBQ sauce to 2 of the 1/2 racks for sticky ribs for my son who prefers them that way.

Last edited:
Looks and sounds really good from my vantage point. Nice Job.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky