Dutch's "Wicked Baked Beans"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
When I saw this recipe I had to try it.
Here's my qview on Dutch's.

Everyting into the mixing bowl

After a couple of hours in the smoker.

I was really surprised at the flavor. I had some jalepenos that smelled like death in the bag, I diced 1 and added the mustard also. The pineapple really mellowed out the jalepeno and it wasn't spicy at all! My wife told me to to add at least 2 jalepenos next time to make sure they have some kick. Anyways, thanks Dutch for a great recipe!!!

Man, I really need to keep track of this thread a little better

Dave, see post #215 of this thread, I use original or the home style but Bush's has a lot of different styles of beans to experiment with.

I've used molassas when I was short on brown sugar. I used the lite molasses-my kids don't like the regular molasses.

Reichl, it's a personnal preference thing. I do, simply because I use the bacon fat to saute the onions and peppers. Unless the kids steal all the bacon, it's added to the beans.

Here's my crack at Dutch's ;

Making them with some Baby Back Ribs.

This is before going on the smoker. I'll let you know in a bit how they look when they're done.
9a3b2634_vbattach24411.jpg

Greetings to all!

Same as AK1, I made mine today along with baby back ribs. I'll post the qview of the ribs and a butt I smoked in a thread dedicated to them. Here's Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans.... ummm..... in a .... What else? dutch oven!

Everyone just started eating before I had a chance to get the pics. Here, it's half gone. Minutes later it was just a great memory.

Jerry

Holy Crap!!! These beans are good!!!!

Wife thought they were too spicy, otherwise she loved 'em.

Next time I'll do one batch without jalapeno's and one with. Only change I made from the original recipe, was I used maple sugar rather than brown.

Well AK1, there is a disclaimer at the bottom of the recipe for a reason-just as your wife found out.

When I do them, I have to do two batches also-with the peppers and without.

Like I have told others here before-"Change it up and make it yours".

They are rather addicting, aren't they?
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

If we are out of brown sugar BUT have MOLASSES, how do we use them instead of the brown sugar? I think you wrote the original recipe was based on molasses.

Thanks.

got a double batch on right now along w/ 3 racks of spares.
I add to the recipe a lil. add 1/2 lb diced canadian bacon and 1/2 lb diced andoullie and 1 lb diced smoked pork trimmings from spares.

Brown Sugar Substitute

For each 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar called for in a recipe, use 1 1/2 tablespoons molasses plus 1 cup granulated sugar.

To make light brown sugar from dark brown sugar, use 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar and 1/2 cup granulated sugar.

For dark brown sugar, use 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar plus 1 tablespoon molasses; or 1 cup granulated sugar plus 1/4 cup molasses.

Reactions: stokinsmokebbq
Thanks SQWIB!

I only had about a half cup of brown sugar left so instead of a cup of it and a cup of ketchup I used the 1/2 cup brown sugar and over a cup of honey barbecue sauce and it still turned out great!

We did a double batch of Dutch's beans for a Mothers day get together. Seems like we get asked to bring the beans to every function we go to.. I think they like the wicked baked beans. I know I sure do. thanks Dutch..

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky