Dutch's "Wicked Baked Beans"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Over 1,000,000 satisfied and counting
biggrin.gif

Love the wicked one's. Wife had a bbq potluck at work last week. I made a double batch every body raved about them. When beans are made around here 95% of the time they are the wicked one's
icon_mrgreen.gif

This has got to be the longest running thread on SMF. I think we all know the reason... the beans rock! Three cheers for Dutch!

Hip hip hurray!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I've got the bacon thawing and just picked the peppers for a double batch about to be made to go with some hopefully lip-smackin' good ribs for tonight.

The first time I made these for a family potluck, I smoked them in a foil pan, then refrigerated overnight. Into a slo-cooker crock the next day for reheating and serving. They all disappeared, many good comments, but I wasn't happy with the presentation. I sorta smooshed a bunch of the beans transferring them from the foil to the crock, and the "look" just wasn't right.

Is there any reason I couldn't just smoke these right in the crock? Plop the crock into the pot the next day and reheat. That ought to keep more of the beans whole and looking more appetizing. I figure using the crock might increase the time needed to get them up to temp, but I can't see anything else that would be a problem. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.

I make these all the time and don't think I ever stopped in to say thanks.

I like to smoke them a little longer so they're sort of "sticky" and I back the brown sugar off to about 1/2-3/4C and leave out the hot stuff, thanks for a quick tasty recipe!

These are the only baked beans I will eat.

Question, these were requested for Christmas but I'm doing a pastrami today and figured I would throw them on and just reheat, I don't see any problem with doing it this way, unless anyone see a reason not to.

Not a problem I always make extra when I make them just so I can reheat them for several days afterward

Yes, But first follow the recipe the way it is written' It is hard to improve on perfection, Then see if your taste could give you anything to improve on. I am sure a lot of people have their own variations but don't do it the first time you make them. One bad ingredient or change and you might turn away not knowing how good these are
icon_wink.gif
Merry Christmas

I didnt want to change them, i just dont feel like driving to the store to get ketchup which is the only thing that im out of right now..lol. Maybe ill hold off till i have some ketchup and do it right.

I actually use half crushed and half chunk personally. I think the crushed helps a little with the texture and distributes the flavor a little better.

Also, I've turned it into Dutch's Hellishly Wicked Beans. I seed and rib the jalapenos and just chop up the outside milder part and then I put a small dollop of "Da Bomb" pepper extract in it. Da Bomb has 375,000 Scoville units, so you have to be very careful with it. A dollop about the size of 2 - 3 Q tip ends is just about enough to light up both a batch of beans and a bunch of your friends. Man o man, is it great, but you have to like your food fiery. In fact, when I serve it, I not only try to warn everyone, I put a danger sign on it. But people love it (those who can tolerate spicy food, that is).

I also go half ketchup and half BBQ sauce, plus I add in a little of my dry rub as well as some pulled pork that I keep frozen for just this occasion.

Dutch thank you in advance for the wonderful recipe

I'm getting ready to jump on the bandwagon but with 1 question, which beans should I use, Maple?
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

1) Original
2) Bold and Spicy
3) Boston Recipe
4) Country Style
5) Homestyle
6) Maple Cured Bacon
7) Onion
8) Vegetarian
9) Honey
10) Steak House
11) Bourbon and Brown Sugar
12) Southern Pit Barbecue
13) Smokehouse Tradition

So many Choices, so little time

I usually go with the original, or the home style. Try a couple of different types and see what you like the best.

Dutch, what kind of beans would you recommend. just a large can of Bush's and on the topic of Brown sugar, I have a well stocked pantry, would you replace the one cup of Brown Sugar with 1 cup of molasses? I am doing some pork ribs tomorrow, hopefully a full 5-6 hour smoke and drop the beans in the smoker to get that great mesquite flavor. any recommendations?

Dave

PDT_Armataz_01_42.gif

I am going to be smoking some Dutch's for the first time this weekend. My question is, if you are going to be chopping up the skirts from spare ribs to add to the beans, do you still keep the bacon in the recipe?

Personally I do when adding both I usually use about six slices of bacon

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky