so I built this smoker, thinking I was cool and could show the old lady that I was good at something other than drinking beer. well after burning the inside with lots of wood (and almost cought the house on fire, a story for another time) to get the coating out of it, I installed the 1/2 in. nipples w/ caps and a 11/4 vent tube. I made my fire ring 15"x6" out of wire mesh added a grate and put a 2"pipe coming out of the lid and yes its 36"long to keep the smoke out of everybodys eyes. So I did a trial run with nothing in it to see what it could do. well I put 6lbs of lump in the fire ring and got 10+hrs on it. the problem is I cant get the temp to drop to 220 and stay there with out covering the smoke stak almost all the way. all vents are closed and yes the top fits well. I don't see any holes in the drum. So I dont think its sucking air from some where.I heard if I cover the stak then the chance of creasot(sp) is very possible in the meat. I did use some apple wood in my test today. mybe i should forget this whole uds thing. I heard it was fool proof, mmmmmm want to smoke some ribs for my little girls 1st b-day. we will be having the family and friends over and everyone knows I'm building thid thing. bottom line I need help!