Dual RF Smokers on trailer....My first adventure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

urbotrimmm

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Medford, Oregon
OK so you guys have helped to get me hooked on smoking....you guys and

Pitmasters.  I have fallen in love with smoking and currently do a great job on a Brinkman.  So 2 weeks ago I hunted down 2-288 gallon propane tanks for the smokers and a 175 gallon tank for the bbq.  I found an 18" flatbed trailer with brakes on both axels to mount everything on.  Will add stainless table with sink and rv hotwater heater.  Fireboxes I will be looking for tomorrow.  Here in Oregon wood stoves have to be certified to be in a home so the scrap yard has many to chose from for scrap prices.  I want matching ones...We will see.

Got tankes cut and sandblasted last week and finished doors today.  Will be installing in next couple of days.  I cut mullions out of tanks and will reinstall with tabs welded in the tanks and pins put in to hold them.  This will allow me to remove them for whole hog cooking.

I have to say I have really enjoyed reading you guy's stuff.  It has given me great enthusiasm.  I have bought numerous recipes (including Jeff's) and have signed up for classes besides gleening what I can from the internet and of course, books and Pitmasters.  I'm putting pics of tanks as of today on.  Will put more soon.

Mike

It looks like you are taking on a pretty good project. I like it.

I'm curious why you sandblasted at this point. I would think waiting until finished and blasting it when you were ready to paint would have been better. Just wandering.

Mike, morning and welcome to the forum.....  An adventure is starting.... Great.... Nice start.... I'm in for the build...  Need any questions answered ?? We are here.....   In my signature line are some links to calculators if you need to look at them....  Any details you need cleared up, many experienced members will help...    

popcorn.gif

Dave

Reactions: beaummiler
Rassimo,

I'm using a mig welder and its too hard to clean every spot I want to weld and so made manufacture a breeze in that respect.  I had the insides blasted because someone turned me into the DEQ for contaminating the environment...turned out it was just the smell.  I then used a weed burner to heat tanks and rid the rest of smell.  Again got turned into the city police for that.  Fabrication has been a breeze but people have been total butts!

I know how that goes with people sticking their nose in where it does'nt belong, Any way it looks like you're hitting this project head on, Looks good and good luck with the build.

DaIve,

Many thanks.  I have gleened much information from reading threads.  I have used your calculator and may need some assistance with firebox sizing.  So far my problem has been in not having remembered to bring the tank dimenensions home.  I own a granite countertop fabrication business and have been fabing out there in my spare time.  Last night I got hinges fabbed up for one of the smokers....this afternoon I'm going to try and install doors.  I'll take photos.

Mike

Well, I guess I know who you are NOT going to share your delicious BBQ with.  I bet those whining b**stards won't bitch when they smell the food cookin'!  Sux to be them!!!
devil.gif

looking forward to watching your build. When you get done roll on over to Central Oregon and lets show everyone how us Left Coasters Smoke!

Now don't be renigging on this 'cause me and my wife think it would be a hoot to drag this thing over there and have us a Q good time.  I'm going to hold you to that.

Mike

OK guys, following my blog are pics of todays work.  I had a smart butt friend of mine comment on my welds....I am a carpenter ok, not a welder.  My dad was a master fabricator...master.  My welds aren't the prettiest but they are stuck.  Don't let negativity keep you from doing what you desire and keep you from going places.  Main thing is I am doing this by myself and having a heck of a good time.

So doors are hung on tank #1.  My brother gave me a great idea tonight, the mullion (piece between doors) will be hinged on top.  This way it can be lifted out of way for whole hog.  I have idea for top shelf rail but will explain it more when I get there.  It too will be removeable. 

OK guys, following my blog are pics of todays work.  I had a smart butt friend of mine comment on my welds....I am a carpenter ok, not a welder.  My dad was a master fabricator...master.  My welds aren't the prettiest but they are stuck.  Don't let negativity keep you from doing what you desire and keep you from going places.  Main thing is I am doing this by myself and having a heck of a good time.

So doors are hung on tank #1.  My brother gave me a great idea tonight, the mullion (piece between doors) will be hinged on top.  This way it can be lifted out of way for whole hog.  I have idea for top shelf rail but will explain it more when I get there.  It too will be removeable. 

Now don't be renigging on this 'cause me and my wife think it would be a hoot to drag this thing over there and have us a Q good time.  I'm going to hold you to that.

Mike
Come on over with that rig anytime!

My Dad was a Journeyman welder, electrician, and carpenter, as was his dad my Grandpa, and my great Grandpa was and Architect. I had no interest in the metal part of it, wish I had. My Grandpa passed when I was nine, and my Dad was taken in a work accident when I was 14. Fortunately I did take to their wood working skill, and followed my Great grandpa into the world of Architecture. Wish I'd paid attention to the welding!

Enough of a stray, waiting to see that smoker in Central Oregon! Where about are you fabricating that beast?

I'm fabricating in White City at a granite countertop shop I own.  I've commondeered a corner of the shop from my workers and am holding onto it with all my might.

I've been to White City many times! Shoot Miller lake, along the slopes of Mount Thielson, just west of Chemult would be a great place to hold a smoke out gathering! Great campground and good fishing!

Welcome to the group. I'm in on this one. If you make it much larger, the EPA is going to require emission control devices installed. IMHO a little bottle of Beano should suffice
pot.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky