Double oven smoker build, rack seasoning question also, new member!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

windytrader

Original poster
May 21, 2017
Hello everybody. I'm a longtime lurker who finally just created an account as im in the middle of my new smoker build and had a few questions.
I'm converting a double wall oven into an upright smoker. I'm done 90% of the functional aspects of it, haven't started on the appearance but that will come. It came with 4 oven racks that I'd like to use as the racks that will directly contact the food, however they have some rust. I plan to use citric acid to remove all the rust, done it before and works great. My question is on how to season these racks so they hopefully donlt rust again, and how to maintain them after. My previous smoker build had stainless steel racks so I would just clean them after every cook and not have to worry about rust.
As for my build, I tried to keep it as simple as possible. I took the oven apart, gutted all the electrical and any fittings inside the ovens that werent needed. I cut a 9"x12" hole between the two ovens, filled the gap with rockwool, and used 4 pieces of sheet metal folded into brackets to close it all off, fasted them tight with screws, and sealed all the gaps with high heat food grade silicone. Plugged up all the other little screw holes, gaps, etc with a combination of sheet metal pieces and silicone also.
Cut hole for the air intake and using 3" square tubing for that, taking advantage of a precut hole in the top where the oven light was for my smoke stack. Getting a nice masterforge replacement smokestack for that. I didn't do a great job photo documenting it, missed some early pics, but I'll post everything I snapped. Got it all done in 1 full day (yesterday!). Oven doors will go on today, then I'll decide on how I wanna panel the outside to make it looks as sexy as possible. I'm debating between using steel roofing, Hardie board siding (Will paint or stain, I think this will be the heaviest option whichmakes me hesitate) or some wood look siding panels that I can get pretty cheap.
I will also make a canopy or roof for it as I hate BBQ covers, I'll only need to get something to easily cover the front as the sides and back will all be weatherproof materials.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky