Don't toss out that brisket fat!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

philpom

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 16, 2023
Texas
Many of us know that after trimming up that whole packer brisket you have a huge pile of beef fat. Don't toss it, do this instead!

Rendered beef fat it fantastic for cooking many different things and it's easy to make.

But wait! There's a bonus.... once the fat is rendered that left over fat tissue makes an amazing snack. Here's how.

Remove any meat, cut the fat in to 1" cubes and place in a foil roaster pan. Place in the oven at 250°f for 2.5 to 3 hours. Drain the fat through a coffee filter in to a jar and store in the fridge to use instead of vegetable oil or crisco.

Now spread the left over fat tissue back out in the pan and salt well. (We like jalapeno salt). Push the oven up to 350°f and continue baking until crispy and golden. These bits are amazing to snack on, crispy on the outside and once you bite them they melt in your mouth.

The rendered fat will become solid once it cools.
20230408_141432.jpg

After the fat was poured off and ready to go back in the oven.
20230408_140904.jpg

Ready to chow! Plenty of salt makes them the best IMO.
20230408_155802.jpg

If you never have I hope you try this instead of just tossing those fat trimmings.

Many of us know that after trimming up that whole packer brisket you have a huge pile of beef fat. Don't toss it, do this instead!

Rendered beef fat it fantastic for cooking many different things and it's easy to make.

But wait! There's a bonus.... once the fat is rendered that left over fat tissue makes an amazing snack. Here's how.

Remove any meat, cut the fat in to 1" cubes and place in a foil roaster pan. Place in the oven at 250°f for 2.5 to 3 hours. Drain the fat through a coffee filter in to a jar and store in the fridge to use instead of vegetable oil or crisco.

Now spread the left over fat tissue back out in the pan and salt well. (We like jalapeno salt). Push the oven up to 350°f and continue baking until crispy and golden. These bits are amazing to snack on, crispy on the outside and once you bite them they melt in your mouth.

The rendered fat will become solid once it cools.
View attachment 664139

After the fat was poured off and ready to go back in the oven.
View attachment 664140

Ready to chow! Plenty of salt makes them the best IMO.
View attachment 664141

If you never have I hope you try this instead of just tossing those fat trimmings.
So I've done like 3 smokes now where I am laying the brisket fat side down and then taking the trimmed fat and covering the meat side that is now facing up.

The rest of the fat I throw in the pan under the brisket. I still toss it out but I have like this whole pan of smoked tallow at the end. My buddy now eats all the fat cracklings that are left over hahaha

Reactions: philpom and jcam222
I have never heard of that idea before. Put some of the trimmed fat pieces on top when cooking meat side up........hmmmmmm

Last edited:
I have never heard of that idea before. Put some of the trimmed fat pieces on top when cooking meant side up........hmmmmmm

Actually... I find tat it kinda washes/rinses the rub off when laid directly on the meat... Therefor I put it on a rack above the meat and let it drip down on it...

Reactions: Millberry
I have never heard of that idea before. Put some of the trimmed fat pieces on top when cooking meat side up........hmmmmmm
So far my results are that it is protecting the meat from getting any extra crusty spots and has been good to go.

Feel free to experiment and see what works and doesn't work for your setup. I think general consensus is that the trimmed beef fat basting the meat side of the brisket is a winner. I believe so! :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky