Doing a belly tomorrow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
12 hours past.. man this is fun. Getting to learn how my smokeshack operates, smokin some bacon, and having fun with the kids at the same time! Man I can't wait for mom to get home!!

I'm lettin them go for awhile longer..

e1118c5d_018.jpg

Dang they all look Great!

I have never tried smoking bacon (yet), but It looks like you left the belly skin on.  Is this normal?  Just curious. 

I'm looking forward to more pics!

There is a lot of discussion about smoking with or without the rind.  I find the rind is easier to remove after smoking others like to remove it before smoking.  Better yet, try to buy the belly without the rind.  Just remember the rind does not absorb cure so if figuring the amount of cure using the weight of the belly cut the amount of cure by 10% to account for the rind.

After 14 hours i had to pull it for sleeping sake. I did a little fry test and man o man is this some sweet smokey bacon! Tossed it in the fridge and vac-packed today after a little more fry test..

e68caa3d_003.jpg

468ce0e1_009.jpg

And finally wrapped up and ready to go to..

d83812d8_011.jpg

I left the rind on because I can remember my dad getting slabs of bacon with the rind on them and the flavor was just great. I have another belly in the brine right now that has the rind on it also. I did inject my brine right along side the skin so it cure well. Can't wait to smoke one next week..

Thanx all! Should have some cold, wet weather this weekend, can't wait to fire up the ol smokeshack again.

Thats really nice belly, hard to find here or i just aint looking vewwy good.

Pit they are looking great!  Can I give you another option to try?  Just something else that you might like. Make a small amount of simple syrup and add maple extract to it. Pour this on the cured bacon slab, put into freezer bag for atleast 3 days. Smoke with hickory or maple wood. Awesome!I have only had Great reviews of this product.

As for rind on/rind off, leave the rind on and slice. Some people really like the rind. Others don't. It comes off easier sliced(with a Knife).

Mike

missed this one pete...........looks great!
Thanxs Rob.

Sweet looking bacon. I see you vacuum sealed the chunks whole are you planning on letting them mellow for a few days before slicing them or are you freezing them whole like that?
I gave half to my brother and the other half are going to the elk hunt. I don't mind slicing what I need with a knife. Don't plan on freezing at all.

Great looking bacon Pete. another baconmaker is born,as you continue to experiment the answers start falling into place. Let me know if u need anything.

Looks great! and so rewarding doing it yourself with the kids and all!

I must say from my own perspective, leave the rind on! you can remove it at any time right up untill it goes in your mouth!

And if you are a rind lover, try pouring boiling water over the skin before smoking / cooking .....it gets a real case of "crackling"

Keep on experimenting!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky