Does time in cryovac change taste?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The last time I bought something like this, I cut and packaged into steaks within a week, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The ends developed a weird texture. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but I trimmed the edges off just to be safe. I also trimmed more of the fat than I would have expected, as you can see in the first picture above.

This is one of the ends that I trimmed and threw away. Anyone know whats happening here?
20220107_185323.jpg

Yeah, I was never concerned about if the meat is good or not. Just trying to get a feel for how the flavor might change over time.
I find that beef wet aged in cryovac for at least 21 days don't have that "grassy" flavor you can get with unaged beef. Folks in the BBQ biz really don't like to smoke "green" briskets (no age on them) - which is normally what you find most in grocery stores and butcher shops. Any cuts with a bone in are at a higher risk of spoilage, but benefit from wet aging as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky