Disappointed with amount of smoke; bought a master built electric 40" added updated part sent by mas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just got my AMNPS as a Christmas present. I watched the video on YouTube "How I light my amnps" and used that method with the torch and heat gun,working perfectly with my MES 40. Right now no mailbox mod, just sitting on lowest rack opposite heating element with chip load tube out about 2 inches and exhaust wide open. We have the pitmasters choice pellets going with a 5 lb bologna chub and 2 pans of smoked potatoes! My kinda Christmas dinner! Definitely get the AMNPS,you'll be pleased!

I have the MES 30 . I know what I'm going to say next is unpopular on this forum but I will say it anyhow . Look into the Masterbuilt Electric Cold Smoker Kit . It really works and you can burn whatever you want in it except for saw dust and large chunks .I did the Amnps thing and always had trouble keeping it lit .No matter what trick I tried from this forum and I tried them all .Bought the Masterbuilt kit and it was great . Sure you will not get 11 hours out of it but 6 with whatever you throw in there isn't half bad . Small Chunks,broke up lump charcoal,pellets and chips . Throw it in the top ,turn the switch on and your set for hours of not having to make sure the tray stopped burning . I'm just saying IT WORKS !!! It will increase smoker temp by about 15 degrees in summer if you are trying to cold smoke,but for cooking it can't be beat . In cold weather probably wouldn't notice a difference on a cold smoke . Oh yeah ,if you want to add a water pan NOOOO problem . You can add what you want and not have to worry about making room for a tray with pellets or if the food is going to drip and put it out . You can even turn your damper down some if you like and not worry about if you have enough air flow . 
I have the MES 30 . I know what I'm going to say next is unpopular on this forum but I will say it anyhow . Look into the Masterbuilt Electric Cold Smoker Kit . It really works and you can burn whatever you want in it except for saw dust and large chunks .I did the Amnps thing and always had trouble keeping it lit .No matter what trick I tried from this forum and I tried them all .Bought the Masterbuilt kit and it was great . Sure you will not get 11 hours out of it but 6 with whatever you throw in there isn't half bad . Small Chunks,broke up lump charcoal,pellets and chips . Throw it in the top ,turn the switch on and your set for hours of not having to make sure the tray stopped burning . I'm just saying IT WORKS !!! It will increase smoker temp by about 15 degrees in summer if you are trying to cold smoke,but for cooking it can't be beat . In cold weather probably wouldn't notice a difference on a cold smoke . Oh yeah ,if you want to add a water pan NOOOO problem . You can add what you want and not have to worry about making room for a tray with pellets or if the food is going to drip and put it out . You can even turn your damper down some if you like and not worry about if you have enough air flow . 

Funny you bring this up. I have the MES 40"Gen 2 model. I recently bought the amazing pellet smoker (5x7). I used it for the first time on 2 days ago. If it didn't go out 3-4 different times, it would jump to different rows while lighting. First time I didn't realize it for 6 hours. Thank god the temp was hovering around zero so the smoke took longer then normal. And, yes I read the instructions. So I think I'm going to return and try the mastebuilt version. It's a shame, I really wanted this to work out. But, if I'm going to have to babysit this, why not save $35........

I have mentioned more times on this topic how much I like the cold smoke attachment. I bought one when they first came out and now that is all I use for cold and hot. It is the only way to go, but for some reason it does not get much play on this blog.

You may have read the instructions but you certainly didn't take much notice. After a couple of dry runs Mine is the best thing I have ever used to be honest . The best advice I can give you is listen to the great advice you will get on here.

Please inform me how I didn't take notice? I read the instructions, several times. Watched the youtube videos. And it still didn't work. All the advice in the world will never work, if the product doesnt work. Maybe you can come show me what I'm missing. Or stop trolling.

I do apologise if I offended you but all of the advice tells you the reason for the "jump" is overfilling . The probable reason reason for it going out is lack of air but is most likely not lighting it properly . I must say practice is needed with this. I can  tell you sending it back will be  a huge step backwards. I again apologise if I offended you.

Please inform me how I didn't take notice? I read the instructions, several times. Watched the youtube videos. And it still didn't work. All the advice in the world will never work, if the product doesnt work. Maybe you can come show me what I'm missing. Or stop trolling.
I must say I have just seen you accuse me of trolling and I am really offended. I also reread and saw you mentioned they dont work, the truth is they DO work and do so brilliantly. You just havnt mastered it yet,. I cant understand your attitude at all, we are all friends on here so have a great Christmas.

Funny you bring this up. I have the MES 40"Gen 2 model. I recently bought the amazing pellet smoker (5x7). I used it for the first time on 2 days ago. If it didn't go out 3-4 different times, it would jump to different rows while lighting. First time I didn't realize it for 6 hours. Thank god the temp was hovering around zero so the smoke took longer then normal. And, yes I read the instructions. So I think I'm going to return and try the mastebuilt version. It's a shame, I really wanted this to work out. But, if I'm going to have to babysit this, why not save $35........
When I first got my AMNPS it worked great but for about 3 smokes in a row it kept flaming out. I had to babysit it and it really was frustrating because every time I opened the MES 30 door I lost heat.

Thanks to Todd and Bearcarver, I learned how to light the AMNPS properly. First, you don't want to load the channels too high, which is what Todd tells you in the instructions. Next, you've got to use a propane torch to light the pellets and you've got to keep that flame on the wood chips until you've got a glowing "cherry" (as Bearcarver calls is) extending a few inches back into the pellets from the hole in the end of the AMNPS (some guys light both ends). You've got to then blow on that cherry to make sure it's glowing brightly and stays flaming for about 10 minutes. However, I keep blowing on the pellets for about 20 minutes--off and on. If the cherry seems to be dimming during that time, I blow on it again. With this method, the AMNPS has yet to go out on me. In fact, I've burnt through my load of pellets and THAT stopped the AMNPS from smoking.

Just follow these simple steps and the AMNPS is truly set it and forget it. Sure, return it to Todd if it doesn't work for you, there are quite a few pellet smoker devices out there. But with Todd's. you don't have to drill any holes or perform any mods. You load it up, light it, and stick it inside the smoker. You'd only need to open the door to flip the meat or whatever you're smoking until it's all done.  I've used the AMNPS for both hot and cold smoking and I won't use anything else with my MES.

Got an MES30 for Christmas, thinking of returning it and exchanging it for an MES40 with a window mainly because I'm a rookie and want a smoker with a window to make sure it's working (maybe naive but it is what it is).  Thankfully I somehow found this forum, seems like lots of valuable info.  Any suggestions on the 30 vs. 40, window or not, top vs. front controller would be appreciated.  They are generally around the same price, I would spend a little more for the bigger one with a window unless it's just not as good of a smoker.  If not think I'm going w/ the MES40 w/ window.

But my real question is based on this thread I think I'm going to get an AMNPS 5x8 but wanted to know what is the difference between using pellets or sawdust?  I'm thinking pellets last longer?  Flavors seem to be the same, price seems to be about the same.

Thanks again for all of the info.  I'm sure I'll be back when I fire it up for the 1st time. 

We've got over 10,000 AMNPS 5x8's being used by customers

Many are used in the MES 30 & 40 with GREAT success!

If your AMNPS 5x8 is going out after 15 minutes, it's not started correctly

Solution:

Take your time starting the pellets, and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS

If your AMNPS 5x8 is going out after 1+ hours, it running out of oxygen

Solution:

Increase intake air for proper combustion

Old Model MES 40

Place AMNPS on the rails to the left of the chi pan housing

Pull out the chip pan 1 1/2"

Pull out the chip loader 2"

Open the exhaust

No water in the water pan

New MES Gen 2

Remove the water pan and place it on the floor

Place the AMNPS on the drip pan, right above the hole for the water pan

Pull out the chip loader and turn it 180°(Upside down)

Exhaust wide open

No water in the water pan

The New MES Gen 2 is a totally different smoker than the Old Model MES.  I own them both, and have posted extensively on the differences.  The New MES Gen 2 does not breath well, compared to the Old Model. Temperature accuracy is far better on the old model.

If you take a look into the hole for the chip loader on the New Gen 2, you'll notice a tube with a "Slot" along the bottom. 

Placing the Chip Loader into the hole in it's normal position allows for little to no air to enter the smoker

Turning the Chip Loader 180°(Upside Down) aligns the "Slots", and you will get combustion air

Todd

I have the amnps 5x8 and the damn thing will not stay lite no matter what I've done!! Very disappointed in it!!!

tbones, morning.... I had that trouble.... Seems moisture from humidity will creep into darn near anything and get the pellets damp..... Now I put the pellets I'm going to use in the AMNPS and put it in the smoker... Electric MES..... and preheat it to 275 for a couple hours to sterilize the inside... the pellets get dry during that process..... Since doing that, I have never had the AMNPS stop smoking... I get 3 plus hours out of 1 row of pellets.... usually perfect for most of my smokes.... I have gotten 10 + hours from a full load in the AMNPS....
All tools take time to figure out and the AMNPS is no different....
Hope this helps you out....

Dave

tbones, morning.... I had that trouble.... Seems moisture from humidity will creep into darn near anything and get the pellets damp..... Now I put the pellets I'm going to use in the AMNPS and put it in the smoker... Electric MES..... and preheat it to 275 for a couple hours to sterilize the inside... the pellets get dry during that process..... Since doing that, I have never had the AMNPS stop smoking... I get 3 plus hours out of 1 row of pellets.... usually perfect for most of my smokes.... I have gotten 10 + hours from a full load in the AMNPS....
All tools take time to figure out and the AMNPS is no different....
Hope this helps you out....

Dave
I keep my wood pellets in their original plastic bags in my uninsulated garage and so far moisture hasn't been a problem for me. Once I get it going the AMNPS I get the same smoke output over the same length of time that you get.

When it comes to product complaints, my research shows there are small minorities of people who will complain about any product, service, or business while the overwhelming majority of reviews for those things are positive. There have been posts calling the Masterbuilts junk--but the majority of us here know otherwise, but I'm going on the experience with my 1st Gen MES 30. In my smokehouse, the AMNPS fits perfectly and I won't use anything else to generate smoke.

Amen to the AMAZN...... I bought the Cajun Electric Smoker and first hassled with loading the chip tray but found out on this forum about the AMAZN and bought one and couldn't believe how well it works.  I now have both of the AMAZN smokers (tube and tray) and it makes smoking a breeze.  Todd is a great guy and will stands behind his products. Also just a happy customer. (don't let that tissue box catch fire)

I have both AMPS 3 row and the 18" TS and though both work well when started right, I love my TS alot more. In fact, I'm fixin' to order a 12" TS for my ECBs

and 22" Weber and a bunch more pellets with his new sale. It took me awhile to get it right too. Prior to Todds stuff, I bought the Smoke Pistol starter kit for $80 or so and it did ok the 1st time but not after that so it sits in a box gathering dust. My advice is don't be too quick to give up. I checked out Smoke Daddy but way more than I wanted to spend on a smoke generator. I don't think you can beat Todds smokers and pellets nor his service. How many dealers do you know who will give you his home and cell #? 0! I called one time and left a message and he called me back during his supper! Thanks, Todd! Happy, Happy, Happy!

Alan Hawkins-aland

I really need to finally order the AMNPS. I found my MES 30 (analog) at Home Depot on clearance for $49 and it's worked great but that long smoke for bigger things does get to be a hassle. Otherwise, I don't mind tending to it for shorter smokes. It gives me an excuse to sit around outside and drink beer.

Good Luck with the AMNPS. If you talk to Todd who designed the AMNPS he will tell you it's very difficult to to make it work. He worked with me trying to get it to work but because of the design of the Gen 2 and all the air turbulence going on inside the smoker it would not stay lit no matter what we tried. Amazin products does make a tube version that did seem to work in the Gen 2 but really kicks out too much smoke. I gave up on the Gen 2 after 4 failed units, and opted for a Gen 1 and so far it has performed wonderfully. There are no temperature issues  with this one, it is within 5 degrees of of set temperatures (unlike Gen 2 where some of the units were as much as 40 degrees off. With the Gen 1 my AMNPS stays lit and lets me smoke say a pork shoulder for 12 hours of smoke. Good luck with your Gen 2 and a word of advice buy the extended 2 year warranty from Masterbuilt. It's $100 but worth it. I would have been screwed without it seeing I had four of them fail within a year for various reasons.

Bill

I really need to finally order the AMNPS. I found my MES 30 (analog) at Home Depot on clearance for $49 and it's worked great but that long smoke for bigger things does get to be a hassle. Otherwise, I don't mind tending to it for shorter smokes. It gives me an excuse to sit around outside and drink beer.

The gen 1 is no problem..... Look up the Mail Box mods for the Gen 1 MES..... Dry the pellets well... I dry mine at 275 for a few hours and get 10+ hours of smoke from 1 full tray.... Cherry needs some hickory or something added to it cause cherry don't smolder very well.....

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky