DIRTY LITTLE SECRET!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hello.  I missed some of these.  Sorry.  Liverwurst ( liver sausage) YOU BET!!  And GOTTA have onions!  TURNIP GREENS!  GOD I wish I could find them in England!  Add a little pepper vinegar!  Collard Greens also!  
icon_biggrin.gif
  Talkin about greens we are showing our age a little guys.  I don't think the youngsters have any idea.  Good greens cooked with bacon or bacon fat.  Little garlic.  Onions.  My goodness that makes me hungry!  Anyone try beet greens??  I cook those a little different.  Love those too!

I started this as a "dirty little secret but it has grown into some darn good old style foods!  It just keeps expanding!  Keep Smokin!

Danny

For those of us old school folks who have a grease jar/can on the counter, a drippings sandwich.   Slather some bacon drippings from the can onto a piece of lightly toasted bread then put back in the toaster for a few seconds to heat the drippings up.

Oh, and the best part about eating a nicely cooked piece of beef is sopping up the juices/drippings with a warm buttered piece of baguette.
I am with you on this one, but with eggs over easy to soak up the yoke.

This is a fantastic thread!

Some of these have already been mentioned, but:

Place saltines in a ring around the perimeter of a microwave safe plate (I like a corel dinner plate). Cover each cracker with shredded cheese or place a chunk of cheese on each one. Nuke until the cheese is bubbling nicely and running off of the crackers toward the center of the plate. As it cools, with just the right amount of nukage, the cheese sets up rather hard and crispy with the grease separated. Mmmmm! Watch through the window of the nuke to get the timing just right for your microwave oven.

Smoked oysters straight from the can.

Smoked kippered snacks straight from the can.

A can of cheap chili with beans with a couple of cut-up hot dogs added before nuking.

A true gourmet delight is a slice of braunschweiger on a saltine with a slice of onion on top, drizzled with lemon juice.

A slice of bologna or sandwich meat and a slice of cheese wrapped around a nice crisp kosher dill pickle.

Buttered saltines with some smoked paprika sprinkled on top, toasted in the oven.

Put a couple of eggs with a splash of cream and some salt and pepper into a microwave safe bowl (gotta love the Corel deep soup bowls). Whisk it with a fork. Place in the nuke and, watching through the window, zap until it starts to swell up and rise. Take out and whisk again with the fork. Pop it into the microwave again and repeat.

Keep doing this until it's just right. Eat with the fork, and you just had scrambled eggs in a couple of minutes and only dirtied one bowl and one fork. :)

I love really good, especially smoked food.

Good mac and cheese, but also the Kraft with the powdered whatever it is.

They are not the same thing, I would not call the Kraft stuff mac and cheese.

Hoffman hot dogs, fried Spam sammidges (nothing cheap about that anymore)

Chef Boy ar dee canned spaghetti cold right out of the can,fried bologna sammidges.

Man I've got a lot of these DLS.

Good thread, I read every one of them, it was a good time.

I had fun, hope everyone else did too.

Before I reply here I want you guys to know that MOST! of this stuff ( basically ALL of this stuff ) I can not get here in England.  I have been here for 16 yrs. and you guys are breaking my heart!  When I get back to Texas I STUFF my face with many of these things.  
icon_biggrin.gif

"A can of cheap chili with beans with a couple of cut-up hot dogs added before nuking."

Kraft Mac and "whatever that cheese tasting substance is.

Fried Spam or fried bolonga sandwiches.  With raw onion I would add.

I am with you guys; ALL THE WAY?  Is there something wrong with us??  What were our Moms' thinking?  LOVE my Mom to death but this stuff is "JUNK" food!!

I found out an odd fact.  Bare with me a little guys; this is odd.  Due to divorce my brother and I were not raised together.  Because of things we saw each other rarely growing up.  So the last time I was back in Texas; not wanting to bother Mom with cooking we decided to do our own ( Mom is Mom so we had to tell her NO! ).  So we decided to smoke some sausage.  Good enough.  What with it??  Brother says he likes pork n beans.  I am starting to get twitchy here because there is only one brand I like.  "Yeah AND??"  He says there is only one brand he likes.  "Yeah AND???"  "They MUST be put into the fridge and served cold."    He wanted my brand served the only way I like them.  How crazy is that?  This is not from Mom or our childhood.  Sausage or hotdogs and that specific brand of pork n beans served that way!  What are the odds?

OK.  So it sounds like rambling but I just thought it was strange.  I guess good junk food is good junk food and it was bound to happen.

Keep Smokin!

Danny

Last edited:
Fried smoked bologna sandwiches with mustard and American Cheese (perfectly happy if the bologna isn't smoked too)

Velveeta Shells and Cheddar

Chef Boyardee Beefaroni

Smoked sausage chopped up in a pot of homemade mac and cheese (this is like last meal territory for me)

Poke salad (or sallet depending on your locale)

Greasy corned beef diner hash
Also grew up eating radish and butter sandwiches. My grandma got me started on them when I was little. Has been years since I have had one. The memories are rushing back. She is quite a lady !!!!
Thought my grandma was the only one that ate those.

How about a plain old bologna & cheese white bread sandwich with mayo & mustard with a layer of potato chips between the slices?
Surely I'm not the only one....

What an incredible thread! Everything from eeewws to laughter to tears.

I was a huge Kraft Mac n' Cheese fan growing up, but my wife introduced me to her version, which is elbow macaroni with Velveeta melted with a little milk.  I add a big spoonful of salsa to it.  LOVE IT!
How on earth have I never thought about throwing salsa in there?

Mom's pan fried chicken--shaken in a brown grocery sack with seasoned flour--fried in a big cast iron skillet. Next day, cold leftovers went to school with a "bread and butter sandwich"--Mrs. Baird's white bread (y'all in Texas know what I'm talking about) slathered in butter. Oh, man....

Mac and cheese with tuna or how bout the moon pies. I got my 8 yr girl hooked on fried bologna and fried egg sandwiches. She also eats mayo on her baked potatoes

Went into an old style county store. They had a big tube of garlic baloney, Saltines in long wax paper packets, hard cheddar wheel about 2 ft across, and cold RC colas.

When I paid the bill it came to $8.50, I could of had half a slab of ribs for that. But I sat outside at their wooden picnic table, under their shade tree and took my farmers steak, cheese and crackers and washed them down with 2 cold RCs and remembered what it was like when I was 13.

By the way if you put a packet of peanuts in an RC, make sure you take a big slug out of it first and if some smart alecky kid is standing there and wants to know why you are putting peanuts in your cola.

Tell him "It is to drown the worms in the peanuts" and watch their eyes get as big as saucers.

Great thread!

Spaghettios on buttered white bread.

Butter & peanut butter bread dipped in potato soup.

Miracle whip, am cheese, & mustard sandwich

Can't find it any more but I used to like the pressed corned beef that you got at the deli, a couple slices of that on white bread with miracle whip.

Taco, rice, & cheese - spent a year stationed in Okinawa, used to have stands where you could get this at like 2 am.  Good stuff.

King Syrup and butter bread.  Once in a while used to throw peanut butter on there.

beef ramen noodles with a slice or two of American cheese melted in the broth.

Hello Folks.  I gotta tell you this has been the most fun I have had from a thread I started!  As stated, this one runs from " ARE YOU SERIOUS??"  "You put that in your mouth??" to "OH YEAH!  I FORGOT THAT! I LOVE that too!"  Laughter and even tears of laughter!    What I have been surprised at and never thought of at the beginning, seems to have been the BIG underlying theme.  I keep hearing things like "Grandma", "Mom", " when I was "X" age".  In short, family memories!  Thank you all for sharing your family memories with the rest of us and allowing us to relive those memories and remember our families; some of whom are no longer with us.  God Bless all the generations for they have made us who we are today.  THEY TAUGHT US TO LOVE CRAPPY JUNK FOOD!!!!!  
ROTF.gif
 Some because it was just good to eat and some because it was all they could afford back in the day.  They gave us love and made sure we had food to eat; maybe not "healthy" by today's standard but we didn't go to bed hungry ( most nights ) and we grew into healthy adults.  AND; times were hard back then!  Thanks to them all!  Thanks for their love and sacrifice.  Love them all!  Thank you folks and keep 'em coming!  I'll bet there is stranger stuff out there yet to be heard!  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Reactions: kit s
Hello Folks.  I gotta tell you this has been the most fun I have had from a thread I started!  As stated, this one runs from " ARE YOU SERIOUS??"  "You put that in your mouth??" to "OH YEAH!  I FORGOT THAT! I LOVE that too!"  Laughter and even tears of laughter!    What I have been surprised at and never thought of at the beginning, seems to have been the BIG underlying theme.  I keep hearing things like "Grandma", "Mom", " when I was "X" age".  In short, family memories!  Thank you all for sharing your family memories with the rest of us and allowing us to relive those memories and remember our families; some of whom are no longer with us.  God Bless all the generations for they have made us who we are today.  THEY TAUGHT US TO LOVE CRAPPY JUNK FOOD!!!!!  :ROTF  Some because it was just good to eat and some because it was all they could afford back in the day.  They gave us love and made sure we had food to eat; maybe not "healthy" by today's standard but we didn't go to bed hungry ( most nights ) and we grew into healthy adults.  AND; times were hard back then!  Thanks to them all!  Thanks for their love and sacrifice.  Love them all!  Thank you folks and keep 'em coming!  I'll bet there is stranger stuff out there yet to be heard!  Keep Smokin!
Danny
Amazing thread, KC!
Considering the things we grew up eating it's also amazing that we aren't all diabetic, toothless or dead. Yet here we are!
:yahoo:

Reactions: gr0uch0
I read through the thread. Interesting stuff here! Nothing too strange, actually.

The radish and butter sandwiches reminded me of Tomato Sandwiches, which consist of two slices of buttered toast, fresh raw sliced tomatoes and S&P. I first saw my great grandmother eat one when I was little, then grandma, then mom, and now me.

Hi Danny - Welcome back. I hope that you are well. Have you had the BBQ out much this year? :)

I read through the thread. Interesting stuff here! Nothing too strange, actually.

The radish and butter sandwiches reminded me of Tomato Sandwiches, which consist of two slices of buttered toast, fresh raw sliced tomatoes and S&P. I first saw my great grandmother eat one when I was little, then grandma, then mom, and now me.

You can add two more to that List;
Both The Bear, and Mrs Bear love that exact Sammy, but sometimes use Mayo or MW instead of Butter.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky