Different Questions for Different Smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingscooter

Original poster
Wife is going to be getting me a new (1st) smoker for my birthday. I've use my neighbors before and now I want one. I have it narrowed down to 3 different ones each with a few different questions.

1) Smoke Hollow 3616DEW 36-Inch $206 ()

- How does this one compare to the MES 40? I know its slightly smaller than the 40 but it is bigger than the 30.

- Can I use the AMAZEN with it. I prefer to use pellets as that is what I have figured out the best. Or i do i put pellets in the bottom tray?

- Is there much difference between this one and the stainless one other than another $130?

2) Masterbuilt 20075315 40-Inch $350 ()

- This is the one my neighbor has so I'm pretty used to this one.

- Are there any pros and cons that have come up recently?

- What Gen is this one (1, 2, or 2.5)?

3) Masterbuilt 40" Electric Smoker with Bluetooth $330 (https://www.samsclub.com/sams/masterbuilt-smoker/prod15560335.ip?xid=plp:product:1:1)

- Can put the AMAZEN on the drip tray on the bottom? It looks like the liquid pan would prevent everything fro dripping on it and putting it out?

- How does this one compare to the other MES I linked above?

- How is the Bluetooth functionality?

- I couldn't find the max temp setting on the Sam's Club Website. Is it 275* like the other MESs?

Of the three I listed above, which one would you go with? Are there any other you might recommend? I was leaning towards the smoke hollow but have no familiarity with those. 

Overall I am stoked to get a new smoker. I cant wait to hear from the amazing community on here.

Wife is going to be getting me a new (1st) smoker for my birthday. I've use my neighbors before and now I want one. I have it narrowed down to 3 different ones each with a few different questions.

- How does this one compare to the MES 40? I know its slightly smaller than the 40 but it is bigger than the 30.

- Can I use the AMAZEN with it. I prefer to use pellets as that is what I have figured out the best. Or i do i put pellets in the bottom tray?

- Is there much difference between this one and the stainless one other than another $130?

3) Masterbuilt 40" Electric Smoker with Bluetooth $330 (https://www.samsclub.com/sams/masterbuilt-smoker/prod15560335.ip?xid=plp:product:1:1)

- Can put the AMAZEN on the drip tray on the bottom? It looks like the liquid pan would prevent everything fro dripping on it and putting it out?

- I couldn't find the max temp setting on the Sam's Club Website. Is it 275* like the other MESs?

Of the three I listed above, which one would you go with? Are there any other you might recommend? I was leaning towards the smoke hollow but have no familiarity with those. 

Overall I am stoked to get a new smoker. I cant wait to hear from the amazing community on here.
Hi there and welcome!

The gen 1, 2, 2.5 are the different designs the MES was built in.  The Gen 2.5 with the Bluetooth has been reported as being the best design to date.  The gen 1 is reported/regarded as solid and the 2nd best and the Gen 2 is reported/regarded as being not very good and much more problematic than other designs.

From the links it seems the MES40 with Bluetooth from Sam's seems to be the 2.5 design. I would imagine you set the MES on the bottom rack, or on the drip pan (not oval water pan) and tent it while it is on the drip pan.  If you set it on the drop pan you will also likely want to elevate it so it can get air under it and does not get any drippings soaking from under it. I imagine setting down an upside down foil pan as a base would elevate it and then you could use another half of a foil pain to act as a slanted tent over the AMNPS to avoid drippings getting in from above.  

You can always rig up the mailbox mod and have the AMNPS outside of the MES.  Either way you can rig something up for sure :)

I have no experience with the smoke hollow but if my recollection serves me well then it seems like guys like them.  As for use with the AMNPS my guess is you must put it on the bottom rack or rig something up.

Me personally I wouldn't sacrifice size if I could avoid it.  If I were held to those 3 choices above I would go with the MES from SAMs

To do it all again I think I would up my budget quite a bit and I personally would take a shot at the Smokin-it 3D.  Again this is me, and I understand that everyone is not me :D

Best of luck and I hope some of this info helps :)

Hi there and welcome!

The gen 1, 2, 2.5 are the different designs the MES was built in.  The Gen 2.5 with the Bluetooth has been reported as being the best design to date.  The gen 1 is reported/regarded as solid and the 2nd best and the Gen 2 is reported/regarded as being not very good and much more problematic than other designs.

From the links it seems the MES40 with Bluetooth from Sam's seems to be the 2.5 design. I would imagine you set the MES on the bottom rack, or on the drip pan (not oval water pan) and tent it while it is on the drip pan.  If you set it on the drop pan you will also likely want to elevate it so it can get air under it and does not get any drippings soaking from under it. I imagine setting down an upside down foil pan as a base would elevate it and then you could use another half of a foil pain to act as a slanted tent over the AMNPS to avoid drippings getting in from above.  

You can always rig up the mailbox mod and have the AMNPS outside of the MES.  Either way you can rig something up for sure :)

I have no experience with the smoke hollow but if my recollection serves me well then it seems like guys like them.  As for use with the AMNPS my guess is you must put it on the bottom rack or rig something up.

Me personally I wouldn't sacrifice size if I could avoid it.  If I were held to those 3 choices above I would go with the MES from SAMs

To do it all again I think I would up my budget quite a bit and I personally would take a shot at the Smokin-it 3D.  Again this is me, and I understand that everyone is not me :D

Best of luck and I hope some of this info helps :)
Hey thanks a ton for the input. I wish I could afford the 3D but the Air Force just doesn't pay quite enough yet. I was leaning towards the MES 40 w/Bluetooth built in. But from the smoke hollow to the MES is a $130 difference. Is there an added benefit from the MES over the smoke hollow. I have my own meat thermometer so that part is covered. I just want to make sure that I am going to be happy with what ever unit I end up with. 

I have to say go with the Smokin-it line of smokers.  But budgets are budgets.  So since you are looking at Smoke Hollow, have a look here:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/266387/smoke-hollow-smoke-tronix-review
Thanks a ton for the video link. I actually watched it earlier and it's what actually got me interested in the brand.

As for the Smokin-It 3D, I would love one of their units but the only one that is in my price range is somewhat tiny (model #1)

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago trying to figure out which smoker to get. I picked the MES from sams and have really enjoyed it. With the AMNPS it is about as set and forget as you can get. Here is a picture of where to put the AMNPS, its on the bottom shelf all the way to the right.

First of all, I've got a basic MES 30 generation 1. Been using it for over 5 years and it still works great. Only had to replace the controller, which was very easy. I'd love to have a 40" for the larger interior space. Personally, I'd stay away from all MES Gen 2 smokers. They did slightly improve the design but they've been problematic. I saw new "Gen 1" smokers at Lowes but I saw the interior has been redesigned to make them more like the Gen 2 smokers. If you could an actual 40" Gen 1 smoker online, I'd buy it, but those are rare. The MES Bluetooth (or non) Gen 2.5 smokers have a great reputation in that MB finally got it right. I'm not sure WHY the line is considered Gen 2.5 instead of 3.0 but that's what it's called here. The MES Bluetooth smoker owners have said that they work great. I have no use for one, myself. I use a Maverick ET-733 to monitor smoke temps. Yeah, it can be a hassle to have to go outside to adjust the controller temps or the time remaining, but it's exercise. 

I don't know much about Smoke Hollow. A friend's wife bought him the 38" (I think) propane smoker without the window and my friend loves it. I had a sample of the brisket he smoked and I can attest to how good it was. He uses wood chips. 

The placement of the AMNPS depends on the smoker you buy. It was designed for the Gen 1 smokers because that's all MB was selling at the time of its R&D. The Gen 2 smokers were a not-very-well-thought-out design update. If you do go with a 2.0, it looks like the AMNPS would fit under where the water tray goes (with the water tray being removed). The MES is so well insulated that you don't need to fill the tray with any liquid to keep meat from drying out. Most of what you'll be smoking has more than enough fat to self-baste the meat and keep it moist. I pulled a brisket point after 16 hours (unwrapped) in my MES 30 and it had firm bark and incredibly moist and juicy brisket meat. 

My understanding is that all MES smoker controllers will go up to 275°. 

Last edited:

First of all, I've got a basic MES 30 generation 1. Been using it for over 5 years and it still works great. Only had to replace the controller, which was very easy. I'd love to have a 40" for the larger interior space. Personally, I'd stay away from all MES Gen 2 smokers. They did slightly improve the design but they've been problematic. I saw new "Gen 1" smokers at Lowes but I saw the interior has been redesigned to make them more like the Gen 2 smokers. If you could an actual 40" Gen 1 smoker online, I'd buy it, but those are rare. The MES Bluetooth (or non) Gen 2.5 smokers have a great reputation in that MB finally got it right. I'm not sure WHY the line is considered Gen 2.5 instead of 3.0 but that's what it's called here. The MES Bluetooth smoker owners have said that they work great. I have no use for one, myself. I use a Maverick ET-733 to monitor smoke temps. Yeah, it can be a hassle to have to go outside to adjust the controller temps or the time remaining, but it's exercise. 

I don't know much about Smoke Hollow. A friend's wife bought him the 38" (I think) propane smoker without the window and my friend loves it. I had a sample of the brisket he smoked and I can attest to how good it was. He uses wood chips. 

The placement of the AMNPS depends on the smoker you buy. It was designed for the Gen 1 smokers because that's all MB was selling at the time of its R&D. The Gen 2 smokers were a not-very-well-thought-out design update. If you do go with a 2.0, it looks like the AMNPS would fit under where the water tray goes (with the water tray being removed). The MES is so well insulated that you don't need to fill the tray with any liquid to keep meat from drying out. Most of what you'll be smoking has more than enough fat to self-baste the meat and keep it moist. I pulled a brisket point after 16 hours (unwrapped) in my MES 30 and it had firm bark and incredibly moist and juicy brisket meat. 

My understanding is that all MES smoker controllers will go up to 275°. 
Thanks for the input. It looks like I might be pulling the trigger on the 2.5. I was leaning towards the Smoke Hollow but haven't seen a ton on it. It also seems like a Mailbox Mod is going to generate the most amount of smoke for an electric smoker (in my price range) and the MES is perfect for that. 

Thanks for the input. It looks like I might be pulling the trigger on the 2.5. I was leaning towards the Smoke Hollow but haven't seen a ton on it. It also seems like a Mailbox Mod is going to generate the most amount of smoke for an electric smoker (in my price range) and the MES is perfect for that. 
Scooter, just so you know, I was going to try to build my own mailbox mod but it's way too hot here in WA state and hardware projects like that aren't my strong suit. Anyway, this past week I hot smoked a whole beef brisket using nothing but oak pellets in my AMNPS, and I "cold" smoked cheeses using nothing but hickory Dust in the same tray. Both times I got plenty of smoke without using a mod. From what I've read, air circulation is better in the 2.5 models than in the previous versions so you may or may not decide to build your own mailbox mod. What I've seen from using my MES 30 is that--if you use it outdoors in a yard and not on a patio or porch--that the outdoor temp directly affects the MES interior airflow. I have more trouble keeping wood pellets and Dust lit in colder weather, especially if it's damp. But this past week I've had the easiest smokes ever and have turned out the best brisket and among the best cheeses I've ever smoked. I expect to achieve the same thing when I smoke a batch of teriyaki beef jerky tomorrow. 

Scooter, just so you know, I was going to try to build my own mailbox mod but it's way too hot here in WA state and hardware projects like that aren't my strong suit. Anyway, this past week I hot smoked a whole beef brisket using nothing but oak pellets in my AMNPS, and I "cold" smoked cheeses using nothing but hickory Dust in the same tray. Both times I got plenty of smoke without using a mod. From what I've read, air circulation is better in the 2.5 models than in the previous versions so you may or may not decide to build your own mailbox mod. What I've seen from using my MES 30 is that--if you use it outdoors in a yard and not on a patio or porch--that the outdoor temp directly affects the MES interior airflow. I have more trouble keeping wood pellets and Dust lit in colder weather, especially if it's damp. But this past week I've had the easiest smokes ever and have turned out the best brisket and among the best cheeses I've ever smoked. I expect to achieve the same thing when I smoke a batch of teriyaki beef jerky tomorrow. 
That is a fear that I do have. I live in Florida and the humidity here is relentless. I plan on the AMNPS regardless because of that reason. I'm going to give it a shot without the mailbox and see how it goes. Im fairly handy so if i need to do it i can. 

That is a fear that I do have. I live in Florida and the humidity here is relentless. I plan on the AMNPS regardless because of that reason. I'm going to give it a shot without the mailbox and see how it goes. Im fairly handy so if i need to do it i can. 
Good choice. I did some research on smoke generators before I made the decision to purchase my first AMNPS. There were raves about it here and it suited my needs better than the MB Cold Smoking Kit or a Smoke Daddy or similar accessory. But what's made me a loyal repeat customer of Todd and Rhonda Johnson/A-MAZE-N, is the world class customer service they provide along with their high quality products. Now, I don't buy everything from them but I do buy wood pellets exclusively from them. I also bought one of my Maverick ET-733 therms from them. I was also lucky enough to win a really cool jerky making kit in one of Todd's monthly drawings. I'm again using it this week to make beef jerky. Really great people and they're always quick to respond to emails. Todd will also sometimes post in selected threads on SMF. 

Oh, the Puget Sound/Seattle has a reputation for being a wet place to live, and it is true that we endured record-breaking rains this past winter and spring. But there's a difference between rain and humidity. We get some humid times but not many of them. I guess that's why I've been able to get away with my wood pellets absorbing so much moisture I have to nuke them. And that's one reason why I've always lived on the West Coast. 

Last edited:

The humidity average in my area is 82% in the morning and 65% daily so I have humidity to think of.  I have eliminated any humidity related pellet burning issues by microwaving for 1 minute, rest for a min or 2, then microwave for another 1 min.  I now do not need to babysit the initial lighting and have had no issues with pellets staying lit.

Now I do use a mailbox mod but the proof that is in the pudding is with the initial lighting.  Before I started microwaving the humidity out I would have to babysit my initial lighting of the pellets and relight about 3 times.  Now after microwaving I light and have not had to relight to keep the initial 10 min burn going.  It works like a charm for me :)

I hope this info helps you out :)

The humidity average in my area is 82% in the morning and 65% daily so I have humidity to think of.  I have eliminated any humidity related pellet burning issues by microwaving for 1 minute, rest for a min or 2, then microwave for another 1 min.  I now do not need to babysit the initial lighting and have had no issues with pellets staying lit.

Now I do use a mailbox mod but the proof that is in the pudding is with the initial lighting.  Before I started microwaving the humidity out I would have to babysit my initial lighting of the pellets and relight about 3 times.  Now after microwaving I light and have not had to relight to keep the initial 10 min burn going.  It works like a charm for me :)

I hope this info helps you out :)
This really does help me out. I hadn't thought that you could nuke the pellets at all. That would be a game changer. With a nuke and the Gen 2.5 MES 40, do you think I would still need a mailbox mod? From what it seems, the MES has finally work all the kinks out. 

This really does help me out. I hadn't thought that you could nuke the pellets at all. That would be a game changer. With a nuke and the Gen 2.5 MES 40, do you think I would still need a mailbox mod? From what it seems, the MES has finally work all the kinks out. 
I think your chances of success are high. You would just need to figure out how far to pull out our chip feeder tray.

Worse case you can make a mailbox mod later if you want/need.  I went the mailbox mod route so I could cold smoke and eliminate the impact of pellet heat raising temps and so I wouldn't ever need to open my smoker to check on the pellets or deal with them.

Guys have had plenty of success without the need of a mailbox mod so I think you would be fine, you just would need to tinker about a bit but that is all part of learning your system :)

I think your chances of success are high. You would just need to figure out how far to pull out our chip feeder tray.

Worse case you can make a mailbox mod later if you want/need.  I went the mailbox mod route so I could cold smoke and eliminate the impact of pellet heat raising temps and so I wouldn't ever need to open my smoker to check on the pellets or deal with them.

Guys have had plenty of success without the need of a mailbox mod so I think you would be fine, you just would need to tinker about a bit but that is all part of learning your system :)
A lot of guys talk about how they built their mailbox mods to improve the airflow over the AMNPS. I always forget how much the burning pellets in the AMNPS raises the heat temp inside the smoker during cold smokes. I hear the mailbox mod is fairly easy and quick to do but it seems like the guys who say that are already handy with home projects like that. I'm not so I'm still on the fence about doing it.

A lot of guys talk about how they built their mailbox mods to improve the airflow over the AMNPS. I always forget how much the burning pellets in the AMNPS raises the heat temp inside the smoker during cold smokes. I hear the mailbox mod is fairly easy and quick to do but it seems like the guys who say that are already handy with home projects like that. I'm not so I'm still on the fence about doing it.
Here is a video that gives you pretty decent instructions. Overall an easy mod to do. Very basic skills involved. 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/266420/mes-mailbox-mod-video-tutorial-any-input-appreciated

I just got my first smoker and AMNPS, so I'm new. I've seen the microwave suggestion, for drying pellets.

I tried something different, I already had a reusable silica gel desiccant container, like this:

I bought it several years ago, but they're under $10, and be dried and re-activated in the oven (I use the toaster oven).

I put a few pounds of pellets in a sealed container, and added the desiccant container. The next day, my cheap thermometer/hygrometer in the container was showing 23% humidity. It's summer in New England, so it's much more humid out than that.

The dried pellets lit easily and burned well (10 hours) when I used them over the weekend. The previous weekend (before drying them, having just taken them out of the new bag), they were a bit tougher to light, and they went out partway through (~5 hours), but that's likely because I hadn't pulled the chip tube out at all that time, for more airflow.

Drying the pellets ahead of time seems, to me, maybe more reliable or thorough than using damp pellets and trying to get the water out quickly right before use. It's at least another option.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky