Deep Fried Ham with fry-view???

Discussion in 'Pork' started by benxrow2002, Oct 10, 2010.

1. squirrel

squirrel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Wow! Deep-fried ham! I didn't think ham could possibly get any better but you proved me wrong, and I don't mind! Thanks for sharing that!

2. jbg4208

jbg4208 StickBurners

Those are great. We use the spiral cut hams. They butterfly out all nice and crispy... mmmm.

Man, slap some of that on a buttered biscuit and start eating.

3. Looks AMAZING and way to represent NE Ohio LOL

4. I'll actually be heading your way on Friday.  We play Warren Harding.  No ham this time though.

5. pandemonium

pandemonium Master of the Pit

me threether but yes it looks really good mmm ham

6. You guys will beat them they are not that good this year, and disappointed about the ham lol

7. bbq71

bbq71 Newbie

I've tried deep fried turkey, but never a ham. That looks incredible. I gotta try it sometime.

8. I wonder what a deep fried prime rib would be like.

9. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

10. I'll bet it was yummy.

11. pokey

pokey Meat Mopper

Mmmmm. Looks great. I wonder what a ham would be like done in the Char-Broil Oil-less Infra-red fryer? Gonna have to try that.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  12. shtrdave

shtrdave Smoking Fanatic

Ham is great this way, we have also done boneless pork loins, have also done a hunk of beef, don't remember the cut though. But something I like is cut up pieces of beef and pork into small chunks like you might do for stew, and season them and fry have some sauce to dip them in and you are set, maybe a few adult beverages also.

13. bearcarver

I don't have a "big" deep fryer, but when you do a large hunk of beef or pork, how do you know when to pull it out, or do you remove--check temp--put back in, etc, etc.....

You obviously can't probe it, like in a smoker.

Curious Bear

14. the dude abides

the dude abides Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Dang, that's something new and looks awfully good!  Thanks for sharing.  Forwarding this to my dad, he's the one with the turkey fryer and loves ham as much as anybody I know.

15. smokingjhawk

smokingjhawk Fire Starter

That's it I am going to start a pig farm!!!  What a great idea! and it looks fantastic!!!! Next time let us know when you are going to fry the pig and I will bring the bread,and  the mustard.[​IMG]

16. shtrdave

shtrdave Smoking Fanatic

As for temp we fry in the basket so it easy to lift and check for doneness, the boneless pork loin was around 6 min a pound chunks of beef were similar.

17. Since there is no playbook for frying a ham we decided to go about 3 1/2 to 4 minutes per pound.  We have a little leeway for the fact the ham is pre-cooked.  We were trying for about 140-145 final temp and hit that in a little over an hour.  From the pic, you can see we have a basket, so we'll just pull it up for a second and shove meat thermometer in it.   Gloves are recommended BIG TIME for lowering and raising the meat into the oil. 

18. bearcarver

Thanks benxrow & dave,

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure.

19. jwillh9181

jwillh9181 Newbie

Has anybody ever tried to deep fry a un-cooked Ham??

John

20. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

WOW !!!!  Break out the Redeye...