Daves Smokehouse....Part 9 Test Runs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You could go the thermocouple and solenoid gas cut off route.  No flame = no more gas flow just like in the stove or hot water heater in millions of homes across America.  If you wait until you notice a temp drop, you will already have a very dangerous buildup of explosive gas.

I should probably look into that, if you or anyone has any info on a set-up Please send it to me! Thanks!

It scares the heck out of me, there have been 3 major gas related house explosions around here in the past few years, a baby was killed in one.
About 10 or 15 years ago, an old pizzeria had a gas oven explode. It blew the door off the pizza oven and all the glass windows and doors out of the front of the place with one heck of a BOOM!
It was totally unexpected. Folks get distracted and accidents happen.
Luckily, no one was seriously hurt, but the owner decided to call it quits after the accident.

This is the result of one of the explosions, fairly recently, in Corning, NY.
11389196-large.jpg

It knocked neighboring houses off their foundations and rendered several other homes unsafe for occupancy.

~Martin

Last edited:
Dave, did you post dimensions, plans or drawings for this smokehouse? Been looking for them. 
thumb1%20copy.gif

All I have right now is a rough sketch and haven't posted anything yet. I based my sketch on the most efficient use of material. It is going to be 30"X30"X72" inside dimensions. I am going to line it with concrete backer board and it comes in 60"X36" sheets so if I cut them in half then flip each piece 90* I will have a 30"X72" piece. It just seemed like the easiest (1 cut) and most efficient (no throw away) way to do it.
I'm going to frame it with 2"X3"s and use T-111 siding. It will have 2 intakes on opposite walls at the bottom and 2 exhaust vents at the top perpendicular to the intakes. I'm going to use adjustable register grills for these so I can control airflow.
I still need to figure out how I'm going to do the roof and door, I have some ideas in my head just need to put them on paper.

You guys may want to take a look at some of these links....

Pipe burners of varying BTU output with optional safety controls!!!!

http://www.johnsongas.com/industrial/brn-drilled.asp

Tejassmokers - tons of pipe & other burner parts including pilot light kits

http://www.tejassmokers.com/castironburners.htm#Pilot_Light

Burners.inc - wide range of burner parts including "safety control valves"

http://www.burnersinc.com/index.html

The combo of a safety control valve and a thermocouple will shut down the gas flow if the flame goes out.

Another option is scavenge the burner assembly out of a leaking gas hot water heater.   Burner will be fairly decent size, you would have a pilot light and an safety shutoff system all in one.  Not sure if the temp control would work, but it might could be modified as well (normally hot water heater temps are in the cold sausage smoking range and not the 225* range).

Last edited:
Found the solution....  at Sausagemaker.com

They sell all the parts for a gas smokehouse kit. Even have assembly instructions with photos and a wiring schematic to add a temp control module to the system (yes a auto temp control system too!!!)

http://www.sausagemaker.com/gassmokerinstallation.aspx

This is the heart of the system - the safety valve.

Step by step instructions with photos for the assembly and operation:

http://www.sausagemaker.com/gassmokerinstallation.aspx#assembly

Electrical wiring diagram for the electrical side of this (the safety cut off)

Dave----looking sweet!  I want a smoke house too....and some friends had some free concrete boards....almost got them!

I am in!  Keep showing the pictures!

Kat
popcorn.gif

Thanks Martin and Dave! More money and more work, I don't have any electrical where the house is going to set so that means getting a receptacle over there! But really I am going to look into this, would much rather be safe than sorry!

Dave, RV's come with flame sensors on the Hot Water tanks.... no elec. required...   Flame goes out, gas shuts off....    You might want to check in at a RV dealer.....   I've looked the web over and either I don't know the right search term, or they are an OEM item....  Darned if I know...   

I do know they are sensing the pilot flame.... It could sense the burner flame just as easily....  And they have a thermostat....  Don't know what you would do with that.... maybe you could figure something out.... 

Dave

Dave, RV's come with flame sensors on the Hot Water tanks.... no elec. required...   Flame goes out, gas shuts off....    You might want to check in at a RV dealer.....   I've looked the web over and either I don't know the right search term, or they are an OEM item....  Darned if I know...   
I do know they are sensing the pilot flame.... It could sense the burner flame just as easily....  And they have a thermostat....  Don't know what you would do with that.... maybe you could figure something out.... 

Dave

RV units do use a 12V. supply to turn the solenoid valve in the gas line on and off... my worries are with connecting the pipe burner to the unit... They have a flame thrower type burner on them originally...

hhmmm.. if no electric solenoid... what turns the gas off.. I have pretty much the same water heater (gas only)... The problem I have with my water heater is when it lights.. the flame blows so hard it blows it out along with the pilot light.. sometimes it will ignite the gas right at the venturi... I've asked quite a few technicians and they can't understand why it does it ether...

Dave (S2K9K).. sorry about stealing your thread... But I'll give it back to ya now.. LOL

Last edited:
No problem Keith, you guys can talk all you want about this, I'm trying to learn something here!

hhmmm.. if no electric solenoid... what turns the gas off.. I have pretty much the same water heater (gas only)... The problem I have with my water heater is when it lights.. the flame blows so hard it blows it out along with the pilot light.. sometimes it will ignite the gas right at the venturi... I've asked quite a few technicians and they can't understand why it dies it ether...

Dave (S2K9K).. sorry about stealing your thread... But I'll give it back to ya now.. LOL
The hot water tank is a self contained unit....  Disconnect the gas line, (turn off the tank first), unscrew the screws from the surrounding housing.... remove.... clean the burner.....  clean the exhaust stack....  fire it up on the bench and see if you fixed the problem....  maybe the pressure regulator is faulty...  they are very simple and work well if maintained.....   Dave

Dave,  I owe you a beer..........        
hijack2.gif

EDIT::::::::

Since you are learning something..... I withdraw my offer.....   
ROTF.gif

Last edited:
I don't think it's been hijacked, I think this is vital info to building a safe propane smokehouse, but I'll take the beer anyway!:biggrin:

OK..... I withdraw my withdrawl.....   I need your e-mail to paypal you a beer.....  unless you are heading 3k miles west ?? 

yea.. all that has been done.. venturi cleaned.. orifice cleaned.. burner cleaned... think I'm gonna change it out to a gas/electric unit anyways.. so maybe I can use the old unit as you say... as for the regulator.. all other gas appliances work great...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky