Cured Head Cheese Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fried head cheese? I'll have to try it. Only way I have ever seen head cheese is on crackers. Hey maybe thats the difference between head cheese and a terrine.

If you fry the head cheese doesn't the jelly liquify?
Good morning, Kevin!

The jelly will liquefy if you warm it up for too long or if your slices are too thin.  But if your headcheese is pretty dense, you can slice about 1/2" thick or more, then quickly sear both sides in a frying pan for about 30 seconds each side to take the chill off.  If you heat it for too long the whole slice will break up, but you can get the outsides a little warm and melty while the inside stays firm.   When I make trotter-hock terrine my husband and I often eat it for breakfast this way topped with a fried egg…we use the same pan we cook the eggs in, just add in the slices after we turn the eggs.  I've even seen some recipes that use a breading on the outside and sear both sides to form a crust, but I haven't tried this.  I think you need to have pretty thick slices for this to work, like 1" thick.

Have a great Sunday!

Clarissa

I acquire my head cheese locally at an old fashioned meat market.  My wife gags at the thought of me eating it so making my own is out of the question lol.  At least the head cheese I buy is outstanding.

points1.png
  Needs a glass of ice cold Abita...  No invitation?  No need to be stingy.  lol b

I've done a "Kalua" head cheese before...

Looks very tasty! Great job!!!
Thanks alot. Hog Head cheese is really a misnomer anymore as most is made with everything but the head. I did se a thread here where someone used snouts. My thing is, I have seen all these things made before, but there has been a bunch of water flowed under that bridge since then. Then I allowed the mystisum over come my natural curosity. Now I wade in the first time and its mostly edible. Then usually the second time its pretty good.

Mahalo au i kau hele 'ana mai i ku'u pa'ina.

Reactions: welshrarebit

Good morning, Kevin!

The jelly will liquefy if you warm it up for too long or if your slices are too thin.  But if your headcheese is pretty dense, you can slice about 1/2" thick or more, then quickly sear both sides in a frying pan for about 30 seconds each side to take the chill off.  If you heat it for too long the whole slice will break up, but you can get the outsides a little warm and melty while the inside stays firm.   When I make trotter-hock terrine my husband and I often eat it for breakfast this way topped with a fried egg…we use the same pan we cook the eggs in, just add in the slices after we turn the eggs.  I've even seen some recipes that use a breading on the outside and sear both sides to form a crust, but I haven't tried this.  I think you need to have pretty thick slices for this to work, like 1" thick.

Have a great Sunday!

Clarissa
This should work, the jelly is so too thick already. If I dropped it on the floor it would surely bounce back up. It reminds me of Flubber.  Next time thinner jelly! It was the first trip, and I didn't want runny head cheese.....LOL

Thank you Clarissa.

Last edited:

I acquire my head cheese locally at an old fashioned meat market.  My wife gags at the thought of me eating it so making my own is out of the question lol.  At least the head cheese I buy is outstanding.
Every maker has their own idea of what it should taste like. Once you've aqquired a taste its hard to substitute another. Kind of like the difference between breakfast sausage and breakfast sausage with sage. Its all about what you become accustomed to.

I wish I could make Pop's & Leroy's recipe.

points1.png
  Needs a glass of ice cold Abita...  No invitation?  No need to be stingy.  lol b
Thanks my friend, I apprceiate it. There is only a little piece left. I swear the neighbors have hidden cameras! Drop by talk about the next years garden and have a cold one then happen to see something all wrapped up in the reefer. "Gee whatcha been makin?" LOL

Great old school cooking on show here. Some of the store versions have tongue in them.Not sure where that fits in.
I love it regardless & prefer it to those packaged pate dips any day.
Yours looks restaurant grade to me, my sort of restaurant .

I tried several translators.... came up with Romanian.... DOH!!! I think it is Cajun/Acadian/Maori/and a bit of Texan thrown in....
Looks Polynesian to me.
It is considered a compliment to tell a Tongan woman "You are as fat as a pigs liver" .Cant write it down in Tongan & not sure I am going to be using any time soon.

Mahalo au i kau hele 'ana mai i ku'u pa'ina.

I've lived in Hawaii my entire life and that was new to me as well! I had to google it...

It means "thank you for coming to my party."

A'ole pilikia!!!

I gave you a point for your fantastic head cheese, now you get one for teaching me a new phrase from my home...

Great old school cooking on show here. Some of the store versions have tongue in them.Not sure where that fits in.
I love it regardless & prefer it to those packaged pate dips any day.
Yours looks restaurant grade to me, my sort of restaurant .
Thanks Moikel, It's appreciated. You see now why I have always been a fan of your cooking. Different continents, but the cooking is the same. Its what you saw growing up and now we try to emulate what we as kids tried so hard to get away from.

I've lived in Hawaii my entire life and that was new to me as well! I had to google it...

It means "thank you for coming to my party."

A'ole pilikia!!!

I gave you a point for your fantastic head cheese, now you get one for teaching me a new phrase from my home...
Thank you again. You can't count today in your age cycle. Everyday you learn something you don't age. Happy day off.

That looks good . . .
drool.gif
I bet you'd like it Oldschoolbbq. Make ya feel like a young boy again.

Thank you sir.

You know with those guys saying how good the chicken gelatin is good for your joints and rheumatism, this stuff should make rubber baby bumper joints! Dang fresh hocks are hard enough to find now, if that got out I have to go back to eatting the cheaper ribeyes! Forget I even said that!

Foamheart, you are always a treat! This was fun and unique to see! Fantastic!!! Happy new month, week, and incredible day! Cheers! - Leah
Thank you Leah. Nothing fancy like you make, and as Clarissa said, its in my good china, not plated as beautiful as you do. Here it is just a hors d'oeuvres.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky