Create Wiki from post within a thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sumosmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 29, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, FL
This was pretty neat. I took the invite from the Southern LA Gathering that Rick posted, and turned it into a wiki with a click of a button. Had the opportunity to name the wiki page and it is now stored out there under 'S'.

Since the user has the ability to turn any post into a wiki this area could become a popular spot.
icon_cool.gif

Actually I see that as a potential problem for us as people will be making Wiki's out of lots of things that really aren't meant to be Wiki's check this out

The Wikis on the Huddler Platform are similar to those on other sites like Wikipedia. They are the place for your community members to gather and collaborate on informational articles, how-to's, guides, and more.

Wiki titles should be:

•Concise but descriptive
•An accurate reflection of the content in the article; for example, a Wiki titled "How To Survive A Bear Attack" should give the reader tips on how to actually survive a bear attack, rather than a first person account of one man's adventure coming face to face with a bear in Yosemite. That story belongs in the forums, while instructional information is best suited for the wiki pages.

Good Wiki content:

•Includes "How to" articles, introductory articles, buying guides, and other factually based or "common knowledge" subjects rather than subjective articles
•Is written in a neutral/third-person point of view
•Uses headers to separate sections of the article
•Uses bullet points and lists to make reading and contributions easier for other community members
•Includes relevant images

Your Wiki should NOT:

•Read like a forum thread. That’s what the forums are for!

I'm thinking that giving a topic "Wiki Status" should be left to the Mods/Admins. I'm not sure if there would be something in the "permissions" area of a users profile to toggle on or off.

I think the Wiki's created by members is gonna be a good thing and several can collaborate on articles. I think its just gonna take them knowing what should be a Wiki and what shouldn't. What I don't really understand is that since Huddler says that most forum threads wouldn't make good Wiki's why have an option that makes it so easy to do so?

I agree that we should have some control over a Wiki. Consider this partial statement from Huddler, "Even a novice user can add, edit or remove the content of a Wiki, add pictures, or easily link to related areas on SmokingMeatForums.com" Now picture one member creating a Wiki, and another editing or removing the content, this could create a problem. We need the ability to control how a Wiki is handled. Just my thoughts.

Rich we can edit and or lock Wiki's and while we can't delete a Wiki we can send them to the "Wiki Graveyard" so we do have options with Wiki's. I do feel the Wiki section is going to be an area we will have to watch and actively moderate. I also feel it offers a great way for members or groups of members to post "How to articles" and some other things

The key phrase is " actively moderate ". I do see it as a good thing for members to contribute useful information.

Jerry - that echo's my primary and main concern with the "create wiki" feature. I'm glad there has been some discussion on it.

I would like to chime in on this topic. Rich created a wiki about "How to roast chile peppers." I edited the wiki with a link to, "How to roast fresh chile peppers." If the members of SMF don't completely understand how to create, use, edit & remove content from a wiki, that can get out of hand quickly. Yes, wiki's are supposed to be designed to be informative for the community but I can see it easily being abused. This thought just came to me. How about wiki changes needing admin or mod approval before moving into the actual wiki itself? That would control the content being added or removed. Of course, as members, we would have to have it explained to us as a way of keeping SMF family friendly & content oriented & not viewed as a way of editing "Freedom of Speech", as we have some members that do want the "Freedom" to say what they wish, think or feel. Am I off base here?

Sorry if I am. Just trying to contribute & point out my observations.

You make a good point, I can see somewhere down the line that a member would not agree/honor an explanation given by an admin/mod. Then we are back to square one the "Freedom Train". This might need some adjusting based on what occurs. To be continued...thanks for your input Anthony.

I know that is an option, but how do we diplomatically justify our action? I'm just thinkig outload, not challenging you Brian.

Your presence and timely interactions are admirable. Are you running for office soon? LOL.

2 things come to mind first off, if left open to the general population(best description that comes to mind rite now lol) will the info become watered down or even perhaps incorrect???

on the other hand... would this create a new feature that would be of use and interest by alot of members??? perhaps give the forum a little extra... i know we are dealing with real time expieriences and data gained thru these expierience as well as found from other sources. but it is still a sort of entertainment isnt it.

i tend to lean towards keeping the integrety of the info in the wiki at its best. i do not know if the mods would be able to handle the added load of monitoring this. perhaps limeting amount of wiki suggestions, simalar to the way one can give points out in todays system might keep it at a manageble level. then there is also the option of earning the right to make wiki entries and edits. wether by reputation or some other benchmark. of course at all times the mods would have final say in all entries. just some random thoughts by one of the general population.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky