Craigslist strikes again AKA I'm going to build a UDS, or two (Q-view for sure)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Guess I don't have to do anymore work on the UDS for another 100 or so posts!
Oh heck is this another 500 post thread? I'm in
icon_mrgreen.gif

Happy smoken.

David

Right now it comes down to needing some welding done, and everyone's slammed here right now! So I'll have to wait a bit on some part to finish up.

Farmer you know how Case can be... He has to be fancy shmancy! Just can't do simple smokers like the rest of us! ;)
I know simple, my mini still has the sticker that came on the tamale pot! No Fancy paint job for this guy! I have considered just using bolts for the basket for hanging, but will have to see how the align with the support racks. I've been trying to source another piece of scrap expanded for the basket I have enough right now for the bottom, but not the the whole side. Have about enough for 2/3 of the side.

I can tell you one thing I am going to do soon on the mini. I am going to cut the bottom out if the original pot! Gotta see if I can get the temps up in the double decker!

I can tell you one thing I am going to do soon on the mini. I am going to cut the bottom out if the original pot! Gotta see if I can get the temps up in the double decker!
I wouldn't think it would be a problem but I'd run lump especially when it's humid.

We got humid yesterday and the mini had trouble reaching 300, when the humidity is low I can get over 400 with a bird going KB. I should pick up a hygrometer and automatically load lump when it's too high.

I wouldn't think it would be a problem but I'd run lump especially when it's humid.

We got humid yesterday and the mini had trouble reaching 300, when the humidity is low I can get over 400 with a bird going KB. I should pick up a hygrometer and automatically load lump when it's too high.
For the most part we have very little humidity. I can get 400+ with the one pot on, but as soon as I get the second pot on there its a bear to even reach 200*. I've experimented with both lump and KFB. Truthfully the double decked is more of a novelty and I would only use it if I needed to cook four full grates full of wings or ribs. I think the ratio of the firebox area to the smoke chamber is the issue on the double pot set up. I will say that with the 12" AMNTS 1/2 full down in the bottom it makes a great cold smoker for smaller batches of cheese and such. Reminds me of the Big Chief using the cardboard box for cold smoking.

You're lucky with your humidity.. We're over 80% and it can be a bear.

Cutting the bottom out and only using the steamer has to make a difference.

I better figure out where to put the water pan in this thing, don't want my meat drying out. Five gallon galvanized bucket in there full of water ought to work just dandy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky