Couple of Q’s prepping for tmrw’s Game

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nutt

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 19, 2011
Fort Collins Colorado
Question #1
Anyone brine their piggie ribs? I read somewhere about a coffee brine on ribs and I can’t get it out of my head....might do that if you guys say a brine will not be a waste of time. I have not done ribs much, my CC so small it’s hard to do several racks at a time.

Question #2
Yesterday I accidentally took most of the fat cap off my butt when prepping it and did not realize my mistake until putting it into the smoker. When it was done and pulled I sampled it(naturally) and it “seemed” dry. I added finishing sauce(thanks Jeff) and tmrw will add back in the liquid gold as Bear calls it. Now it could have been my mind playing with me or it could be dry...will know tmrw I guess. Any suggestions to add moisture?

Also would reheating the PP be easiest in something like the crockpot? What you guys use? I’m thinking the crockpot may be assigned a duty at this point already?

Thanks folks

For the ribs I have never marinated so can’t say. For reheating the PP I always mix in the liquid gold and use a roaster pan or crockpot. I always have enough LG to insure it’s plenty juicy.

The Crock Pot works great. Get the meat up to temp, 165+, on High then Hold on Warm. Reheating on Warm is risky....JJ

Won't do you any good on these ribs, but check out Bearcarver Bearcarver step by steps for his bacon on a stick, they are awesome. Last ones I did like that my son devoured most of them before I could get some

Ryan

As regards cutting the fat cap off, my wife's trick is to cut the fat cap off, season the butt with rub and then lay the fat cap back on like a blanket before smoking. That way we get the benefit of the drippy goodness and still have some control over the amount of fat in the final product.

Reactions: jcam222 and gmc2003
If the crockpot is already used for something else I would reheat it in an aluminum pan. Add A little water or liquid of your choice. Cover it with foil and let the steam reheat it. If it was just a little dry the steam will be your best bet not to dry it out any more. Once it’s hot add your liquid gold and you should be just fine.

Wonderful!...thanks for all the pointers folks!!

Hey on a side note, I can prep/assemble my ABT’s today and smoke tmrw, correct?
Also have 4 poblano’s going to char and then stuff :-) guess will do all of that tmrw though. First time doing any type of ABT.

Reheating over Steam in a Chafing Pan is Extremely Risky! Steam Tables and Chafing Dishes/Pans do not generate a sufficient amount of Steam or Heat to bring cooked foods up to temp quickly. They are designed to Hold Food Hot Only.
In Restaurants, a Health Inspector would write a Warning if your caught once and a second infraction can result in more severe penalties. Every Culinary School Food Safety Course drives home Reheating to 165 first, then Holding in a Steam Table or Chafing Pan.
Reheat Pulled Pork, or any food, in an Oven at 325°F, in a Boiling Bag in simmering water, on the Stove or in a Microwave, least desirable option, to 165°F. Then hold hot, 140°F...JJ

If there was confusion over my post I’m sorry. I was referring to getting the liquid in the pan with the meat over 212 so that it would produce steam. Bu using a moist heat in the oven you will avoid drying it out more and can insure that you end up with the reheated product as moist and tender as possible. I can’t imagine anyone having chafing dishes and thinking that’s an appropriate way to reheat food. You don’t generate enough heat to do anything. I think that by using steam to reheat the pulled pork you will wind up with the best product. You might lose any bark but it will make sure your meat is moist. I thought this was what my post was getting at.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky