Couple Chubs of Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
110.gif
cheers.gif

Sorry for the delay! All this spring like weather we've been having had me out in the yard prepping for the on slaughter of green plants, and flowers and things.

I like to slice my summer sausage about 3/8" thick and that usually yields (8) four piece packs.

Both of these were made with store bought seasonings. It's the only way I can get the chub casings locally anymore and I didn't want to wait to get an order in. Flavors if both turned out good. The jalapeno has a good jalapeño flavor but no bite. Next batch will get some habanero dust.

573c9bb7495e8a0888bede296728c787.jpg

4afec4610c64a75471dc4616d1b80e84.jpg

Plain summer sausage

836250f1463396db5f55c22f0b7d151f.jpg

4b9d5e066609a18e4a5382d1027182f4.jpg

d52acddbba0672963a0c75516f1a4a6d.jpg

f61a77c4d5e7a8a3acf2f0bc02b249a7.jpg

Jalapeño!

c026ff2d8985eccebfaeb455abfd01e4.jpg

!
da2bf092d62224eec53ec249196bd140.jpg

e0254f26128b90c049aeddd0a6cb322d.jpg

5d2efd9a2517e4758b44189ea1ce1e13.jpg

b07aca1abb12a614a9fc6482a7fa0891.jpg

395ef8a354640bad2e33931c272ef8fc.jpg

c2c5efe22941582a72c8e0e4b3bea56b.jpg

2375a4da58e70b4008e5b490b00e632b.jpg

Smoke away!!!

Those are pretty case. Dang it I was excited and you just squashed my hopes of assistance. I need to figure out casing. Thinking about inedible bologna casings from B&P. But they hold 12 lbs per casing! Thats a lotta bologna! The salami casings hold 8 lbs., I guess you are supposed to be good at it quick...LOL

I saw the string around the end of your casing I have not delt with these collegen casings, is it harder to tie the ends?

Great job, I believe you have coined a new phrase, the bicycle blooming rack.

Oh and does it need a larger stuffing tube for the large diameter casings?

Last edited:
Those are pretty case. Dang it I was excited and you just squashed my hopes of assistance. I need to figure out casing. Thinking about inedible bologna casings from B&P. But they hold 12 lbs per casing! Thats a lotta bologna! The salami casings hold 8 lbs., I guess you are supposed to be good at it quick...LOL

I saw the string around the end of your casing I have not delt with these collegen casings, is it harder to tie the ends?

Great job, I believe you have coined a new phrase, the bicycle blooming rack.

Oh and does it need a larger stuffing tube for the large diameter casings?

I saw somewhere that you can use muslin. It's farily cheap at our fabric store. I have considered buying a yard and giving it a shot. Supposedly you can peel th off wash and reuse. I like that idea.

Tying the string can be a bit tricky with only two hands, especially if you over fill the casing! An extra set of hands to hold it closed is nice. Or I will use a large binder clip.

I use the largest horn that came with my stuffer. It is 7/8". On my old enterprise stuffer it was 3/4". Just pinch the casing tight near the end of the horn and you'll have no problems.

Yeah I can't imagine doing a 12#'er the 5 pound guy took forever to hit my final temp. I can see now why some pull them off of the smoker and poach them to finish.

They look great Case.

I have to get to making more.

Great job Case, they look great. The color is super I'll bet they are good   Nice Pics

points1.png

Gary

They look great Case.

I have to get to making more.

Sweet...............
drool.gif

points.gif

Great job Case, they look great. The color is super I'll bet they are good   Nice Pics

points1.png

Gary
Thanks guys! Summer sausage is prbably my most favorite sausage to snack on. After I get rid of this store bought seasoning kits I am going to go full on homemade using cure #1 and try out some muslin casings.

For those that like the jalapeno flavor but mot the heat the seasoning would be spot on. High Mountain Jalapeno Summer Sausage.

I used the Hi mountain Sandwich and Snack mix kit for the plain. My only complaint with this is that the chub holds 5#'s and if you do the step process it;s going to take forever to finish in the smoker. I eventually cranked up the heat to 200°f for the last 1 1/2 hours. It still finished 2 hours after the 3 pounder. I did render a little bit of fat on the bottom end of the stick (closest to the burner)

Would I use these again, yes. But only because I have the rest of the kits to get through! Each one of these kits is good for 30#. Better get that new grinder coming!!

Wow, those look delicious!    Thanks for the info on the jalapeno seasoning.     I love the flavor of a jalapeno, but I can't tolerate the heat.

whistech, You can add jarred mount olive diced jalapeno peppers drained to sausage and you wont get the heat.. Just the flavor

whistech, You can add jarred mount olive diced jalapeno peppers drained to sausage and you wont get the heat.. Just the flavor
So a question I've always had is how to mix sliced olives evenly into the meat to get them everywhere? I assume that you mix them in prior to stuffing?

So a question I've always had is how to mix sliced olives evenly into the meat to get them everywhere? I assume that you mix them in prior to stuffing?
Case I think if you used sliced they would break up when stuffing. I can picture whole ones in yours would look like olive loaf.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky