Country Cured Ham - From Go to Show: Q/View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Maybe I wasn't clear I am attempting a country ham, why would I inject brine?  Also after reading more it seems that your technique is a little different than what I was using.  I am using this technique as my guide: 

Shucking is cleaning the ham after the initial cure is complete, after that equalize and smoke then age...right?  So I assume your comment about cooking the ham has to do with the 200 degrees I put in there?  

I guess since I am doing it differently my questions do not apply to the technique you documented.

Well shucks, I should have guessed that.

I recommend inject a curing solution to help prevent spoilage as I did on a couple of mine, neither of which were green hams, hard lesson learned.

As you are using a different technique, I cannot be of much help. If you have questions, I suggest you contact UK they are usually responsive.

Good luck and enjoy your ham. Let us know how it turns out.

T

200 degrees is a little too high for cold smoking and a little low for hot smoking. The video you referenced made a reference to cold smoking at 100 or 105 degrees which some would say was a little high. Best of luck with your ham.

Just finished reading this thread great info, amazing amount of knowledge being shared. Big thx. and a point for sure. 

I am not at that level yet but I am definitely gear for this, as we raise and butcher a few pigs every year. Again Thx.

I'd love to try this. Just not sure if I would have anywhere in my house that is the right temperature for hanging it, or does it not matter to much?

Hello basher, I am not one to deviate from a proven recipe or technique to save time or to convenience myself. Look at your options and go from there. Consider closet space or basement, perhaps a friend or neighbor can help.

Most importantly, be certain to get your cure deep into the joints and along the bones.

Keep us up to date on your progress.

T

Our pastor used to tell us a story about growing up in the 1940s on a farm in Missouri. He recalled first seeing ham packaged in the grocery store and thinking "Boy I wish we could try some of THAT ham!" Years later when he could actually afford it he did and realized that all along they had been eating the good stuff to begin with.

Back in 2013, I was all up in this thread, curing my very first country ham. That was the last one I did, sadly, but I now have an entire leg with hoof intact that I got as a gift from my sister who now raises pigs. It may be a mangalica from a smaller pig. Entire leg is only about 13 lbs. Salted and in the fridge right now! This thread and Mr T were both very helpful to me throughout my process, so I had to look back and review notes.

Any advice from anyone on hanging a ham that has the hoof intact? Naturally, I would think hanging it hock side down is the way to go since the hoof end is sealed up and no juices or blood can escape. Plus, it's such a naturally awesome place to hang a ham, which is why it was left on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky