Converting homemade charcoal grill to pellet smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HogFan219

Original poster
Jul 31, 2023
Greetings from a new member! My uncle recently gave me my grandfathers homemade charcoal grill Made from 1/4” steel. My plans are to, hopefully, convert it into a pellet smoker. I’ve found a local metal/machine shop who is going to help me with this, get it cleaned up, a couple of repairs, etc.

Attached are some pics of the grill. Dimensions are 24.25”W x 18”H x 18.5” deep. It’s 42.75” tall. The side door, where I think would be the best place to add the pellet smoker attachment?, is 8”W x 6.25”H.

My question for this group is what are some really high quality brands to consider for the pellet attachment? I don’t want to say that money is no object, but I’m willing to spend a little $$$ to end up with something really nice for my family and to honor my grandfather (WW II vet, wounded twice in Europe). I realize I might not be providing enough info to help answer this question, so please let me know what else I can offer to you. Appreciate any advice you give!

Attachments

• IMG_1627.jpeg
    IMG_1627.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1628.jpeg
    IMG_1628.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1629.jpeg
    IMG_1629.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1630.jpeg
    IMG_1630.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1631.jpeg
    IMG_1631.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome to SMF from Colorado.
Your pictures don’t come up for me.
As to pieces to convert to pellets, I have no experience building a pellet grill, but have owned a few. But I have heard good things about Smoke Daddy’s “pellet pro” line. They sell the parts. Check out the link below.

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/the-pellet-pro-18-hopper-assembly/

Reactions: HogFan219
The only one I know of that makes the hopper assembly is SmokeDaddyInc
You would probably need to get the one with a 12" auger length if you want burn pot close to center.
Other option would be 18" auger length.

I suspect the amount of work involved to convert and install the hopper assembly would end up being more than you could buy a pellet grill.

Maybe just restoring it as is would be a better option.
Just my 2 cents...

You would probably need to get the one with a 12" auger length if you want burn pot close to center.

I suspect the amount of work involved to convert and install the hopper assembly would end up being more than you could buy a pellet grill.

Just my 2 cen

Just my 2 cents...
What are the pros and cons of the different auger lengths?

Longer length would be more strain on motor and more risk of auger jam.
Not saying you will get an auger jam, but increases the odds.
Especially if you are in humid climate, the pellets can swell and cause jams if you don't remove them after a cook.

Also depends where you want the burn pot to be in the pit.
I don't know if it really matters where it is, but majority are in the center.
The pellet smoker I have on order has the burn pot on far right and has only an 8" auger.

Many manufacturers are now adding a pellet dump so you can easily empty the hopper.

My Yoder Ys 640 has the fire pot on far left side. 100% of the grate surface cooks just fine, plus the option to then remove the heat diffuser (I have the older version without the hinged door over the fire pot) and do some direct grilling for steaks and such over the fire.

Longer length would be more strain on motor and more risk of auger jam.
Not saying you will get an auger jam, but increases the odds.
Especially if you are in humid climate, the pellets can swell and cause jams if you don't remove them after a cook.

Also depends where you want the burn pot to be in the pit.
I don't know if it really matters where it is, but majority are in the center.
The pellet smoker I have on order has the burn pot on far right and has only an 8" auger.

Many manufacturers are now adding a pellet dump so you can easily empty the hopper.
Thank you, sir. I live in Memphis, so humidity is a way of life. Especially in July and August. Sounds like the 12” auger would probably be better for me.

The company you guys recommended have a Patriot model that has heavier gauge steel and “better welding” however that might be defined… But it’s about $130 more. In your opinion, would going from 16 gauge steel to 15 gauge be that noticeable in terms of smoker longevity Or quality in general?

Welcome from Southaven and a fellow Hogs fan! Woooo Pig Soooie! Man that things looks heavy. Look forward to seeing more of what you do with this.

Jim

Reactions: HogFan219
Welcome from Southaven and a fellow Hogs fan! Woooo Pig Soooie! Man that things looks heavy. Look forward to seeing more of what you do with this.

Jim
It’s solid for sure. Two people can move it around easily enough. It’ll be better when i get new wheels on it.

I’m excited about the project. I know I could buy a really nice smoker for what I’m going to put into this one, but it’s the novelty of it that is exciting to me. A little connection back to my grandfather…

WPS!

It’s solid for sure. Two people can move it around easily enough. It’ll be better when i get new wheels on it.

I’m excited about the project. I know I could buy a really nice smoker for what I’m going to put into this one, but it’s the novelty of it that is exciting to me. A little connection back to my grandfather…

WPS!
I can totally understand that connection. And from the looks of it, its solid enough your g'kids can be cooking on it!

Jim

My Yoder Ys 640 has the fire pot on far left side. 100% of the grate surface cooks just fine, plus the option to then remove the heat diffuser (I have the older version without the hinged door over the fire pot) and do some direct grilling for steaks and such over the fire.
Is there any smaller units you know of that have the direct fire option as the Yoder is big bucks, great looking Pro grill but... ?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky