Considering buying an Electric smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoking and grilling season? Didn't know there was one...it never ends for me. I've pulled through -30*F all-nighters on pulled pork smokes, and that was many years ago. I've been known to be out tending the smoke in blizzard conditions. I will admit, I've never owned or used an electric outdoor cooker...propane was my usual game, with an occasional charcoal conversion, then a cheapo charcoal bullet (tons of mods), until I went to the dark side a few years ago...all charcoal, all Weber...except for my dutch ovens, of course.

If you have a WSM, just load it up with hardwood lump and a big enough fire to start with...it will produce enough BTUs to get the job done. Regular charcoal briquettes are bit on the slow side in colder weather. As with any outdoor cooker, you need to keep them out of the wind above all else, next to precipitation...either one will suck the heat right out of a non-insulated smoker.

I know a guy who had a Bradley...said he couldn't get it over 185* on most days in the winter, even when in his garage out of the weather. His was only a 600-watt heating element. Any 1200-1500 watt element should do the job, but make sure you're extension cords (if you use them) are heavy enough to handle the length of run with that high of current draw.

I'm smoking Idaho Potatoes in my WSM right now with briquettes providing the heat under a dry water pan...35*F ambient, 250* on the lid, and I started with an average sized fire over a cold bed of reserve fuel. Speaking of water pans, don't use water if need more heat...evaporating water kills your temps.

Oh, what goes with the potatoes? Cold smoked/seared Ribeyes on the Weber OTG 26.75" kettle...
drool.gif

Eric
You cold smoked the ribeyes? I did something similar for Father's Day two years ago. I hot smoked the steaks using hickory wood pellets and then reverse seared them on my 22.5" Weber OTS. My family loved them but I knew that I had overcooked the steaks by a little bit. My son, like me, likes steak medium rare, but my wife and daughter go for the medium well and beyond.
Hey Rick, yeah, cold smoked...4 charcoal briquettes in a basket in the rear of the kettle, lid venting toward the front (evens out grate temps pretty well...I hot smoke potatoes this way, also, with basket full of charcoal). This last run was about 60-65* on the grate for 1.25 hrs. 4 charcoal briquettes to keep 1 med-small chunk each of hickory and cherry smoldering. 1"+ thick steaks, probably just hitting room temp by the time I toss a full bed of hot coals into the kettle, put the bare grate on to preheat for a couple minutes and toss the steaks back on when hot enough to sizzle nicely when they hit the grate (hot to the bare palm @ 3-4" above the grate). It's much easier to sear to desired I/T than when hot smoking. You need a blazing hot grill to get enough sear to even make it worth your effort if you hot smoked anything over about 150* for 25-30 minutes, because the steaks may be 100*+ I/T before you start the sear...that only gives you about 2-3 minutes per side...figure 700-750* grate temp to get 'em seared that quickly for med-rare finish...that's a job for hardwood lump, IMHO...most briquettes under most conditions won't even come close, unless you pile them up to within 1.5" or so below the grate. 500* will get a decent sear if you cold smoke, and allows you more time to judge when you want to pull them off for plating...takes about 5-6 minutes/side. You even have time to stick a digital pocket meat therm into them, which I rarely do, but have on occasion.

I have warm smoked in the summer...same principle, just higher temps due to ambient conditions. 110-120* grate temps for an hour won't hurt anything, and is perfectly safe because you'll be finished cooking them within another 20 minutes or less over hot coals. Even chicken pieces that take 45  minutes or so to finish with a sear are going to be safe.

If you're using a pellet smoke generator such the AMNPS or AMNTS, then you're ready to roll with cold smoke and sear. Give 'em 45-60 minutes (or 25-30 minutes if want to lighten it up a bit), pull the pellet smoker and snuff it out, lay on a good hot bed of coals and let it rip. The pellet smokers may not take the high heat of a full load of coals very well...they tend to flare-up and burn up all the pellets as fuel, so no point in leaving it on the grate when searing.

I know what you mean about overcooking them...it's easy to do if you hot smoke. I prefer cold smoke & sear for two reasons: you can more easily regulate the smoke flavor without heat. You can actually get far more flavor than when hot-smoking, if you like...smoke sticks to cold meat more readily than warm/hot surfaces. The steaks (chicken pieces, chops, any small cuts) are barely warming through from the smoke, so when you go to sear them up it's almost the same as if you tempered them at room temp and just tossed 'em on the grill, only you tempered them with smoke...if that makes sense.

I highly recommend cold smoke & sear for smaller cuts. It's a one-cooker job with a kettle and is faster than hot smoking alone...even a gas grill would work, but in recent years I use propane for one thing: igniting charcoal. It's my favorite way to cook small cuts, and everyone who's had them this way prefers the flavors over any other method I've used, and any method they've used, as well. It's the best of both worlds...your favorite smoke, along with an ever so slight char from your favorite charcoal or lump. I even keep the smoke wood in the kettle when searing (lid on) for that little bit of extra smoke on the back-side...yeah, you gotta try it, brother...it's a snap to create great eats.

Thinking back on this now, I actually started using the cold smoke & sear method in the spring of 2009 so I could cook after work and still get my smokin' fix...family loved the eats and so did I. I was cranking out meats for 2-3+ meals per week after work, then slamming out the long smokes on weekends...I've slowed down a lot since then, but what a ride!!!

Eric

Last edited:

MES30 $130 right now at Amazon:

It's now $110.49. If anyone was thinking of buying a starter smoker or just to have it as a 2nd smoker, this is the strike price. Almost five years ago I paid $189 for this same smoker. I've had a great time with it and cooked some really good Q.

Last edited:

Hey Rick, yeah, cold smoked...4 charcoal briquettes in a basket in the rear of the kettle, lid venting toward the front (evens out grate temps pretty well...I hot smoke potatoes this way, also, with basket full of charcoal). This last run was about 60-65* on the grate for 1.25 hrs. 4 charcoal briquettes to keep 1 med-small chunk each of hickory and cherry smoldering. 1"+ thick steaks, probably just hitting room temp by the time I toss a full bed of hot coals into the kettle, put the bare grate on to preheat for a couple minutes and toss the steaks back on when hot enough to sizzle nicely when they hit the grate (hot to the bare palm @ 3-4" above the grate). It's much easier to sear to desired I/T than when hot smoking. You need a blazing hot grill to get enough sear to even make it worth your effort if you hot smoked anything over about 150* for 25-30 minutes, because the steaks may be 100*+ I/T before you start the sear...that only gives you about 2-3 minutes per side...figure 700-750* grate temp to get 'em seared that quickly for med-rare finish...that's a job for hardwood lump, IMHO...most briquettes under most conditions won't even come close, unless you pile them up to within 1.5" or so below the grate. 500* will get a decent sear if you cold smoke, and allows you more time to judge when you want to pull them off for plating...takes about 5-6 minutes/side. You even have time to stick a digital pocket meat therm into them, which I rarely do, but have on occasion.

I have warm smoked in the summer...same principle, just higher temps due to ambient conditions. 110-120* grate temps for an hour won't hurt anything, and is perfectly safe because you'll be finished cooking them within another 20 minutes or less over hot coals. Even chicken pieces that take 45  minutes or so to finish with a sear are going to be safe.

If you're using a pellet smoke generator such the AMNPS or AMNTS, then you're ready to roll with cold smoke and sear. Give 'em 45-60 minutes (or 25-30 minutes if want to lighten it up a bit), pull the pellet smoker and snuff it out, lay on a good hot bed of coals and let it rip. The pellet smokers may not take the high heat of a full load of coals very well...they tend to flare-up and burn up all the pellets as fuel, so no point in leaving it on the grate when searing.

I know what you mean about overcooking them...it's easy to do if you hot smoke. I prefer cold smoke & sear for two reasons: you can more easily regulate the smoke flavor without heat. You can actually get far more flavor than when hot-smoking, if you like...smoke sticks to cold meat more readily than warm/hot surfaces. The steaks (chicken pieces, chops, any small cuts) are barely warming through from the smoke, so when you go to sear them up it's almost the same as if you tempered them at room temp and just tossed 'em on the grill, only you tempered them with smoke...if that makes sense.

I highly recommend cold smoke & sear for smaller cuts. It's a one-cooker job with a kettle and is faster than hot smoking alone...even a gas grill would work, but in recent years I use propane for one thing: igniting charcoal. It's my favorite way to cook small cuts, and everyone who's had them this way prefers the flavors over any other method I've used, and any method they've used, as well. It's the best of both worlds...your favorite smoke, along with an ever so slight char from your favorite charcoal or lump. I even keep the smoke wood in the kettle when searing (lid on) for that little bit of extra smoke on the back-side...yeah, you gotta try it, brother...it's a snap to create great eats.

Thinking back on this now, I actually started using the cold smoke & sear method in the spring of 2009 so I could cook after work and still get my smokin' fix...family loved the eats and so did I. I was cranking out meats for 2-3+ meals per week after work, then slamming out the long smokes on weekends...I've slowed down a lot since then, but what a ride!!!

Eric
Eric, this is the first I've ever read of cold smoking steaks. Where did you learn about it back in 2009? My only problem with what you've wrote is that I can't visualize it. Believe me, it's all me and nothing you wrote. I'll just need to read it a few times because I want to try out this technique. I never think of cold smoking on my Weber OTS but I have done indirect cooking and a little of zone cooking. jted is a big fan of the charcoal snake method, which I've yet to try.

The reason why I own a 22.5" Weber OTS is because I don't believe in propane grills, not even for lighting charcoal briquettes. That's what my Weber chimney starter is for (along with the Weber paraffin cubes). I rarely do long hot smokes: pork ribs and beer can chicken take the longest times. I'm usually grilling steaks of some sort or cheeseburgers, with the occasional cedar plank sockeye salmon and grilled vegies just to prove I can.

Eric, this is the first I've ever read of cold smoking steaks. Where did you learn about it back in 2009? My only problem with what you've wrote is that I can't visualize it. Believe me, it's all me and nothing you wrote. I'll just need to read it a few times because I want to try out this technique. I never think of cold smoking on my Weber OTS but I have done indirect cooking and a little of zone cooking. jted is a big fan of the charcoal snake method, which I've yet to try.

The reason why I own a 22.5" Weber OTS is because I don't believe in propane grills, not even for lighting charcoal briquettes. That's what my Weber chimney starter is for (along with the Weber paraffin cubes). I rarely do long hot smokes: pork ribs and beer can chicken take the longest times. I'm usually grilling steaks of some sort or cheeseburgers, with the occasional cedar plank sockeye salmon and grilled vegies just to prove I can.
I think it was just another one of those "what if" moments I had when I wanted something cooked outdoors for dinner after work...February '09 seems like when it all started for me. No research involved...no looking up how somebody else did it...didn't even know if anybody else was doing it at the time. Turns out there were a few others who were using similar methods with different equipment who responded to me after I started posting about it back then. Some thought the same thing I did...nobody else must be doing it, because nobody was posting about it..small world, huh? Some were even doing it on gas grills, but it was a charcoal kettle gig for me.

Oh, me and propane? Pretty much the same as you, only I use a propane burner to set my chimney on just to get it started. Other than that I don't have much use for it. I've even cooked part of our breakfast for a gathering last summer in a 15" Lodge CI skillet on my Weber OTG 18.5" with charcoal...worked like a charm, with nice, even heating all the way across the skillet...imagine that. Nobody makes an affordably priced burner big enough for those skillets, so I figure, why bother with propane...if the kettle works (and it does, beautifully), use it. I have a 34" stainless steel propane grill with infrared for rotisserie, side burner, etc, that I haven't used for...huh, can't even remember how long...probably 7 years, anyway...just didn't like the results I was getting from it.

Winter is the best time for cold smoking fresh steaks, as I'm sure you already know, but it works fine in the summer, too...just warmer temps when smoking. A couple briquettes is all you need to heat a chunk or 2 of smoke wood. Keep the meat away from the heat source just like you would for indirect. Not much to it, really.

I noticed when smoking with warmer temps that there's a smoke ring under the surface (not always, but usually) at around 120* grate temps for 40-45 minutes and then seared fast...doesn't mean much, but cool to look at and sometimes there's little to no grey meat under the char, just the smoke ring. Really made me look close when I first saw it...my first thought was "no way...not possible". With colder smoke temps the steak doesn't start to really cook until you actually sear it, and there may be a bit less smoke reaction deeper into the meat due to temps being so low during exposure to smoke. But, there's more time for searing with a bit more rainbow effect when sliced...I don't worry about, but for the hard-core steak enthusiasts, well, there's a tip for you to ponder.

Overall, for the best effect on what would be my perfect med-rare steak, yielding a smoke ring with little grey meat under the charred surface and good smoke flavor, the 120* smoke temp would be my target. The drawback is the need for a REALLY hot grill temp for searing to avoid overcooking...that's when a bag of lump comes in handy. Colder smoke temps are more forgiving on the searing, as you can take a bit longer with a bit cooler fire to sear. It's all about personal preference...I enjoy doing it both ways (cold & warm smoke) as I can experiment with the variables a little when I feel like it. If you want a warm smoke in winter just add a few extra briquettes to find the grate temps you're looking for. You may find over time that you like the results from a 100* smoke better than 60*, or 120* better than 100*. Just remember, higher smoke temp usually calls for hotter searing temps if you actually want a little char before it hits your desired I/T.

Hope this helps you visualize it better. If you've been cooking indirect, just use a way smaller fire...just enough to keep the smoke coming, and maybe a bit extra for slightly elevated grate temps...meat away from the heat as usual.

Eric

Last edited:

I think it was just another one of those "what if" moments I had when I wanted something cooked outdoors for dinner after work...February '09 seems like when it all started for me. No research involved...no looking up how somebody else did it...didn't even know if anybody else was doing it at the time. Turns out there were a few others who were using similar methods with different equipment who responded to me after I started posting about it back then. Some thought the same thing I did...nobody else must be doing it, because nobody was posting about it..small world, huh? Some were even doing it on gas grills, but it was a charcoal kettle gig for me.

Oh, me and propane? Pretty much the same as you, only I use a propane burner to set my chimney on just to get it started. Other than that I don't have much use for it. I've even cooked part of our breakfast for a gathering last summer in a 15" Lodge CI skillet on my Weber OTG 18.5" with charcoal...worked like a charm, with nice, even heating all the way across the skillet...imagine that. Nobody makes an affordably priced burner big enough for those skillets, so I figure, why bother with propane...if the kettle works (and it does, beautifully), use it. I have a 34" stainless steel propane grill with infrared for rotisserie, side burner, etc, that I haven't used for...huh, can't even remember how long...probably 7 years, anyway...just didn't like the results I was getting from it.

Winter is the best time for cold smoking fresh steaks, as I'm sure you already know, but it works fine in the summer, too...just warmer temps when smoking. A couple briquettes is all you need to heat a chunk or 2 of smoke wood. Keep the meat away from the heat source just like you would for indirect. Not much to it, really.

I noticed when smoking with warmer temps that there's a smoke ring under the surface (not always, but usually) at around 120* grate temps for 40-45 minutes and then seared fast...doesn't mean much, but cool to look at and sometimes there's little to no grey meat under the char, just the smoke ring. Really made me look close when I first saw it...my first thought was "no way...not possible". With colder smoke temps the steak doesn't start to really cook until you actually sear it, and there may be a bit less smoke reaction deeper into the meat due to temps being so low during exposure to smoke. But, there's more time for searing with a bit more rainbow effect when sliced...I don't worry about, but for the hard-core steak enthusiasts, well, there's a tip for you to ponder.

Overall, for the best effect on what would be my perfect med-rare steak, yielding a smoke ring with little grey meat under the charred surface and good smoke flavor, the 120* smoke temp would be my target. The drawback is the need for a REALLY hot grill temp for searing to avoid overcooking...that's when a bag of lump comes in handy. Colder smoke temps are more forgiving on the searing, as you can take a bit longer with a bit cooler fire to sear. It's all about personal preference...I enjoy doing it both ways (cold & warm smoke) as I can experiment with the variables a little when I feel like it. If you want a warm smoke in winter just add a few extra briquettes to find the grate temps you're looking for. You may find over time that you like the results from a 100* smoke better than 60*, or 120* better than 100*. Just remember, higher smoke temp usually calls for hotter searing temps if you actually want a little char before it hits your desired I/T.

Hope this helps you visualize it better. If you've been cooking indirect, just use a way smaller fire...just enough to keep the smoke coming, and maybe a bit extra for slightly elevated grate temps...meat away from the heat as usual.

Eric
Winter is the best time for cold smoking fresh steaks, as I'm sure you already know. I know in general winter's best for cold smokes (but I hate cold smoking or any type of outdoor cooking in cold weather, you know?) but you give me too much credit. I never thought of cold smoking steaks. By "120* grate temps" do you mean the heat at the surface of the cooking grate? What do you use to measure that in a Weber? I have a Maverick infrared therm gun that I use to test the heat coming up off the charcoal briquettes when indirect cooking. I can test the heat in the two fuel holders on the side and the heat underneath where I have the meat positioned. Now, you're saying you go for 120° from both the charcoal briquettes and the wood chunks? I've thought of buying chunks but I use pellets in a 6" AMNTS in my Weber. I could try wood chunks to experiment with getting that smoke ring.

Anyway, I'm a kinesthetic learner so I'll need to print out everything you posted and take it with me to Weber when I'm all set to give it a try. Thanks for all the info, Eric. I plan to give this a try.

Rick

Winter is the best time for cold smoking fresh steaks, as I'm sure you already know. I know in general winter's best for cold smokes (but I hate cold smoking or any type of outdoor cooking in cold weather, you know?) but you give me too much credit. I never thought of cold smoking steaks. By "120* grate temps" do you mean the heat at the surface of the cooking grate? What do you use to measure that in a Weber? I have a Maverick infrared therm gun that I use to test the heat coming up off the charcoal briquettes when indirect cooking. I can test the heat in the two fuel holders on the side and the heat underneath where I have the meat positioned. Now, you're saying you go for 120° from both the charcoal briquettes and the wood chunks? I've thought of buying chunks but I use pellets in a 6" AMNTS in my Weber. I could try wood chunks to experiment with getting that smoke ring.

Anyway, I'm a kinesthetic learner so I'll need to print out everything you posted and take it with me to Weber when I'm all set to give it a try. Thanks for all the info, Eric. I plan to give this a try.

Rick
Rick, I have a couple of those little Maverick Pit Probes. It's just a separate high-temp rated probe specifically for grate temp monitoring. Comes with a clip that attaches to the grate. The head unit averages your grate temp from the time you turn it on until you turn it off. Turning it off & back on resets the average and it will read the current temp at that time...kinda handy for longer smokes so you can walk away and find out how your peaks and valleys averaged out later. Anyway, as for grate temps when I smoke, cold, warm or hot, these probes are nice for that measurement.

With my 26.75" kettle I rarely even monitor grate temps anymore. My lid therm runs about 80* warmer than grate temps near the center with offset fire(s), so unless I have wild weather conditions to deal with the kettle holds nice and steady temps for a couple hours without touching it at all.

I'm right there with you on cold weather and not being in that weather. My bones don't take long to start aching. I still do a few long smokes no and then for family gatherings, regardless of the weather, but I make my visits to cookers few, short and to the point.

As for smoke sources, I've had great results from chunks with charcoal, whether for hot or cold smoking. I have a 5x8 AMNPS and a 12" prototype AMNTS from back in the day when Todd was still having some of us work out the details for finding the best methods for their use in electric, propane and charcoal smokers. Anyway, My pellet supply ran out and before then I had pretty much gone to the dark side (all charcoal). I have some rather large chunks that I need to break down a bit smaller, but most of the chunks I use are 2" thick or smaller. I reserve the larger chunks for longer smokes, which I don't do very often any more.

As far as regulating your grate temps in the kettle for cold smoking steaks, chops and such, don't get overly concerned about the actual temps and trying to get them higher or lower right off the bat. Just keep the fire small, set a chunk of wood on it and let it do it's thing. Watch grate temps to determine how long you want to smoke, and, how hot of a fire you'll want for searing. Again, warmer smoke = hotter fire for searing faster.

You're welcome for the assistance and inspiration to give cold smoked & seared steaks a try. I know once you do them a couple times you'll be hooked for life. Best part is you can play with the variables of time in the smoke, temp for smoke, and searing temps...not to mention smoke wood species and seasonings. It's all good fun and great eats!!!

Eric

Rick, I have a couple of those little Maverick Pit Probes. It's just a separate high-temp rated probe specifically for grate temp monitoring. Comes with a clip that attaches to the grate. The head unit averages your grate temp from the time you turn it on until you turn it off. Turning it off & back on resets the average and it will read the current temp at that time...kinda handy for longer smokes so you can walk away and find out how your peaks and valleys averaged out later. Anyway, as for grate temps when I smoke, cold, warm or hot, these probes are nice for that measurement.

With my 26.75" kettle I rarely even monitor grate temps anymore. My lid therm runs about 80* warmer than grate temps near the center with offset fire(s), so unless I have wild weather conditions to deal with the kettle holds nice and steady temps for a couple hours without touching it at all.

I'm right there with you on cold weather and not being in that weather. My bones don't take long to start aching. I still do a few long smokes no and then for family gatherings, regardless of the weather, but I make my visits to cookers few, short and to the point.

As for smoke sources, I've had great results from chunks with charcoal, whether for hot or cold smoking. I have a 5x8 AMNPS and a 12" prototype AMNTS from back in the day when Todd was still having some of us work out the details for finding the best methods for their use in electric, propane and charcoal smokers. Anyway, My pellet supply ran out and before then I had pretty much gone to the dark side (all charcoal). I have some rather large chunks that I need to break down a bit smaller, but most of the chunks I use are 2" thick or smaller. I reserve the larger chunks for longer smokes, which I don't do very often any more.

As far as regulating your grate temps in the kettle for cold smoking steaks, chops and such, don't get overly concerned about the actual temps and trying to get them higher or lower right off the bat. Just keep the fire small, set a chunk of wood on it and let it do it's thing. Watch grate temps to determine how long you want to smoke, and, how hot of a fire you'll want for searing. Again, warmer smoke = hotter fire for searing faster.

You're welcome for the assistance and inspiration to give cold smoked & seared steaks a try. I know once you do them a couple times you'll be hooked for life. Best part is you can play with the variables of time in the smoke, temp for smoke, and searing temps...not to mention smoke wood species and seasonings. It's all good fun and great eats!!!

Eric
Eric, which model(s) is the pit probe? I just checked the Maverick site and didn't anything marked specifically for grilling grates. I also greatly admire you've got the 26.75" kettle. I've seen that when I used to watch Bobby Flay on Food Network. Many times my 22.5" is too large for the few steaks or burgers I cook. But the times I need a larger grill are few, like the time when I grilled up cheeseburgers and hot dogs for my daughter's Master's graduation celebration party and had to grill in several batches. The best thing about my OTS is that my wife only paid $70 on sale years ago for it as a Father's Day gift from her and our kids. Since then I bought the hinged cooking great and the enclosed ash catcher to make it more like a OTG. I love that grill to pieces, even more than my MES 30.

You worked with Todd since way back when along with guys like Bear and Scarbelly? I never knew that. But anyway, I thought of buying some hickory chunks for the Weber when I grilled a tri-tip roast Santa Maria-style (the recipe called for them) but I chose to go with wood pellets in a 6-in. AMNTS. The problem was that the pellets kept going out. Not sure why there was an airflow issue because even with the cover on I had the top and bottom air vents wide open, like I usually do. I had the AMNTS placed on the charcoal grate under one of the hinges on the cooking grate. I do believe I'll buy some chunks next spring when I break out the Weber again.

I also need to work on not overloading the chimney starter. My ongoing problem has been too hot a temp for ribs, steaks, and even indirect cooking of beer can chicken. I'm always afraid of not loading enough charcoal briquettes and so I overdo it. So thank you for this ongoing mentoring. Can't wait to try your suggestions when grilling/smoking weather (for me) comes around next year. I'm not even sure about smoking cheeses and jerky this year to hand out as Xmas gifts. They've been really popular but it seems like with each year I age (BD's in December) I'm getting stiffer and achier as the weather gets colder.

Last edited:
Rick, OT-3BBQ is the model...I searched OT-03BBQ as printed on the back, with no results...I think I got them from wally-world.com for about $18/ea a few years back. On Maverick's site click on BBQ Forks and Probes...bottom right of the page...they're a bit more spendy than I paid if ordered direct. You could use your standard meat probes for grate temp monitoring, if you like...most will easily handle 300* without damage to the probe. You just need a small wood block or something to stick them through to keep the probe sensor off the grate itself...some say it can throw off the temp reading. I've even drilled a hole through a smoke wood chunk...LOL!!!

The Weber OTG 26.75" is a beast, which could handle a 20lb brisket indirect, if one didn't mind fire-tending every 3-4 hours. I've found early that the standard 3-leg system is entirely insufficient at supporting that heavy grill and lid. I've had to drill-out the spot welds on the tabs of the leg mounts into the fire-bowl and pop-rivet them, and even that doesn't hold up for very long with aluminum rivets. I don't want to use steel rivets as they may be too strong and cause the fire-bowl to become damaged. You have to rivet from the inside out or the rivets block the movement of the self-cleaning sweeps. I transport my grills several times per year...the 18.5 handles it fine...the 26.75, even with 4 tie-down straps for stability, not so much. The weak legs/mounts are really my only complaint with the 26, though.

If one really wanted to spend some cash on a kettle the Ranch Kettle will wipe out your account in a hurry. In comparison, the 26.75" is 580 sq in, the Ranch is 1100 sq in, approx 37.75" grate diameter...not quite double the size and over 4 times the price...
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
Can you imagine managing food on that grill, reaching across a 3' diameter grill? Not what I'd call fun...I have long arms, but welding gloves only go so far past my wrists before my arm catches all the radiant heat of the fire (I don't have the full welder's leathers...that'd be sweet, though).

For me, having the OTG 18.5 (for which I have a rotisserie kit), it's perfect for just 2-3 people. When I cook for gatherings I add the 26 to the mix, and depending, the WSM 18. The 18 rotisserie can do 2-5lb yard birds with an extra pair of tines, or 1 bird and 1 squash, or??? Think I'll spin my prime rib this Christmas, with smoke, of course...should handle 10-12lb, no problem.

Eric

Rick, OT-3BBQ is the model...I searched OT-03BBQ as printed on the back, with no results...I think I got them from wally-world.com for about $18/ea a few years back. On Maverick's site click on BBQ Forks and Probes...bottom right of the page...they're a bit more spendy than I paid if ordered direct. You could use your standard meat probes for grate temp monitoring, if you like...most will easily handle 300* without damage to the probe. You just need a small wood block or something to stick them through to keep the probe sensor off the grate itself...some say it can throw off the temp reading. I've even drilled a hole through a smoke wood chunk...LOL!!!

The Weber OTG 26.75" is a beast, which could handle a 20lb brisket indirect, if one didn't mind fire-tending every 3-4 hours. I've found early that the standard 3-leg system is entirely insufficient at supporting that heavy grill and lid. I've had to drill-out the spot welds on the tabs of the leg mounts into the fire-bowl and pop-rivet them, and even that doesn't hold up for very long with aluminum rivets. I don't want to use steel rivets as they may be too strong and cause the fire-bowl to become damaged. You have to rivet from the inside out or the rivets block the movement of the self-cleaning sweeps. I transport my grills several times per year...the 18.5 handles it fine...the 26.75, even with 4 tie-down straps for stability, not so much. The weak legs/mounts are really my only complaint with the 26, though.

If one really wanted to spend some cash on a kettle the Ranch Kettle will wipe out your account in a hurry. In comparison, the 26.75" is 580 sq in, the Ranch is 1100 sq in, approx 37.75" grate diameter...not quite double the size and over 4 times the price...
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
Can you imagine managing food on that grill, reaching across a 3' diameter grill? Not what I'd call fun...I have long arms, but welding gloves only go so far past my wrists before my arm catches all the radiant heat of the fire (I don't have the full welder's leathers...that'd be sweet, though).

For me, having the OTG 18.5 (for which I have a rotisserie kit), it's perfect for just 2-3 people. When I cook for gatherings I add the 26 to the mix, and depending, the WSM 18. The 18 rotisserie can do 2-5lb yard birds with an extra pair of tines, or 1 bird and 1 squash, or??? Think I'll spin my prime rib this Christmas, with smoke, of course...should handle 10-12lb, no problem.

Eric
OK, found it where you said it'd be and on Amazon. I can see the value in being able to monitor an average temp at the grate level but I think the next time I buy a therm like this I'll save up and buy a ThermoWorks. In a perfect world, I'd love the Ranch kettle--if I owned my dream ranch. As if I'd ever have money. If I did, the wife would tell me "Happy Birthday, Father's Day and Christmas for the next ten years." The 22.5" OTS was perfect when we had our two kids living at home. But now I can fairly hear the meat sizzle echoing throughout the inside of the lid since there's so much empty space when I'm grilling a couple of burgers or steaks for the wife and me. Sometimes we have one of her brothers over for dinner so I get to use more grate real estate. For last Father's Day I did surf & turf on the grill for six of us. Did the ribeyes first and as they rested I put on the small lobster tails. It was great. Then for a special dinner for my wife, her bro, and me I did 3 NY steaks and two cedar plank sockeye salmon fillets. They all fit at the same time! But those situations are rare. I once smoked a 20-lb Thanksgiving turkey on it and it turned out superb, among the best turkeys I've ever made. But my wife invaded TG and captured the TG turkey roasting region, placing armed troops and weapons all around. She makes one heck of a turkey, though, best I've ever had. Still and all, glad I got the that size kettle.

As for the probes, I have the ET-733 but I could only use it for indirect cooking because typically I'm direct grilling at 700-900°.  That's why I bought the laser gun therm. We've got a slim budget so I have to carefully choose the grilling/smoking accessories I buy.

Know who could manage a grill the size of the Ranch? A chuck wagon cook on a ranch or on a trail drive. Or an outdoor cooking catering company. I can imagine my buying a grill of that immense size, and using maybe a postage stamp-sized area of it to cook those two cheeseburgers. I store my Weber inside my garage (where I also store my MES 30) but a grill that size would need to remain outside and covered at all times when not in use. Can't store it inside our backyard because that's used for our home daycare and I'd be paranoid about storing it outside the backyard fence. So, 22.5" OTS it is! I'd like to buy the rotisserie kit but I can't bring myself to pay for an accessory that costs more than my entire grill. So I remain rotisserieless.

The weakest part of the Weber kettle grill designs are the legs. Unlike you, I don't cook heavy meats like whole packer briskets in it. But, I had several frustrating years when they kept falling off. Some of the guys here advised I buy some self-tapping metal screws and permanently attach the legs inside the brackets. Problem solved!

Rick

have you looked at smoke hollow? I just got one of their units and like it so far..not too thrilled about the 90 warranty on masterbuilt... But I'm just getting my feet wet... I just started this delicious journey...

I disagree about the amount of bark that can be produced in an electric smoker. You can get great bark but it takes a bit more work. That can involve not wrapping ribs, briskets and pork butts/shoulders or wrapping no longer than a couple of hours (maybe more for roasts). Wrapping steams the meat, which is also the reason I keep the water pan empty and foil it over in my Masterbuilt 30" 1st generation electric digital smoker.

As for smoke, I've oversmoked meats with meat pellets, gotten it perfect, and also had not enough smoke flavor. Again, that's technique and also what you use to produce smoke. The technique, of course, involves how many hours you expose the meat/fish to smoke and what type of wood you're using--and if it's in pellet, chip, or chunk form.

I never wrap my meat even when using indirect fire. So the amount of bark will be relative. Besides the 3D is sealed so tight that you don't need to wrap. Technique goes out the window since there is more science than art involved.

As for over smoking, I am talking about using pecan from the family farm.

The 3D uses wood chunks where as you know a little goes a long way.

I never wrap my meat even when using indirect fire. So the amount of bark will be relative. Besides the 3D is sealed so tight that you don't need to wrap. Technique goes out the window since there is more science than art involved.

As for over smoking, I am talking about using pecan from the family farm.

The 3D uses wood chunks where as you know a little goes a long way.
For me I view it as technique because I'm not as knowledgeable about the science side of it. As you know there can be many decisions to make regarding all aspects of cook. I have been a big proponent of wrapping but I plan to do it only in specialized situations from now on, especially so since I bought a large roll of butcher paper before I decided to keep the meat naked for most smokes.

I've got pecan wood pellets but haven't used them much. I can imagine how well the pecan wood from your trees work. It's a challenge to discern smoke smell and flavor differences among wood pellets, at least for me. Pecan is supposed to be like a lighter form of hickory and it's extremely popular for smoking pork in the South.

I like to dry meat open a little in the fridge overnight with the rub on it wet so it sticks to the meat and stays on as a pellicle forms. I put salt on separately right before it goes in the smoker. The tackiness holds smoke but is primed to form bark by not being out of the package wet. This is for roasts/pulled pork etc. Longer smokes that require a higher IT. I do wrap when it stalls with plenty of bark. Ribs aren't smoked as long and I use prepared mustard for the rub to stick to. If you want bark, dry the surface of the meat so it doesn't steam at the beginning. Save that part for the stall when you wrap. The best sear on steaks is when the surface is completely dry and can't steam.
-Kurt

I like to dry meat open a little in the fridge overnight with the rub on it wet so it sticks to the meat and stays on as a pellicle forms. I put salt on separately right before it goes in the smoker. The tackiness holds smoke but is primed to form bark by not being out of the package wet. This is for roasts/pulled pork etc. Longer smokes that require a higher IT. I do wrap when it stalls with plenty of bark. Ribs aren't smoked as long and I use prepared mustard for the rub to stick to. If you want bark, dry the surface of the meat so it doesn't steam at the beginning. Save that part for the stall when you wrap. The best sear on steaks is when the surface is completely dry and can't steam.
-Kurt
I've applied dry rub on meat and wrapped it in plastic to keep all night in the fridge before a smoke. I don't think it made any difference in the bark or lack of a firm bark. But I've looked at videos of Aaron Franklin and of others. Franklin takes a beef brisket or some pork ribs that have obviously been set out at room temp for a while and just slaps on the salt and pepper. He rarely wraps his ribs and even less with the brisket. I did see a TV show segment on a BBQ place and it showed the cook pulling meat from the restaurant smoker and unwrapping it from the aluminum foil. Franklin smokes his brisket at 250° and wraps in butcher paper only when he feels the situation calls for it. I saw a recipe claiming to be Franklin's that was badly edited but claimed that when a brisket hit an IT of 185-203°F IT he wrapped it in butcher paper and put it in the smoker for another couple of hours. Then he either placed it in a 200° oven for a few more hours and then put it in a cooler for a few more hours. I've looked at his videos and at least at his restaurant he doesn't seem to be doing the latter two steps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky