Cold smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 17, 2013
Central Pa
I have some bbb to cold smoke but its 21 degrees and dropping .
How cold is too cold to cold smoke?

man.. if you could put a light bulb in the smoker just to keep it above freezing... try different watts to get you in the right range.. you could leave it in all night...

man.. if you could put a light bulb in the smoker just to keep it above freezing... try different watts to get you in the right range.. you could leave it in all night...

I have a hotplate I could use in my sfb vertical.

Hi Adam. What are you intending to smoke?

I have a couple of ceramic reptile heaters on a thermostat (effectively hot light bulbs) that I use in my cold smoker to maintain temperature. Your hot plate would probably do a similar job.

Last edited:
Are you taking the BBB to a specific IT or just putting smoke on it, like Belly Bacon, to be cooked later? In any event Frozen meat will not take smoke so you need to keep the smoker temp above 29.3°F...JJ

It has to be above freezing can you maintain a 45* to 90* temp if so your good to go from what I have read.

Richie

I will be watch mine should be ready in a few more days.

Think I will give it a go tonight.

Putting the hotplate in the vertical and the expandable tube in the firebox.

The tube with pellets should generate heat also, I estimate 20*-25* with my tray of pellets, throw a moving or welding blanket on it too. Shield the wind also...
Works for me in my Smoke Hollow, but it's double walled also.

Good luck!!

I use a small colander ($3.99 TJ Maxx) use a propane torch ignite 2 pc. charcoal put wood of your choice and cover with whatever so it wont erupt into fire.  I put an old small cast iron pan over it.  It keeps the temp where you want and smokes for about hour and half to 2 hrs before it needs more wood.  Good luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky