Cochinita Pibil with picked red onions and Habanero hot sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zippy12

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 6, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
I don't think I ever seen so much fat in a butt!!! and 10lbs at that!
So this will make 2 items (Cochinita Pibil(4lbs) and Cheddar Bratwurst sausages(5lbs))
She is a a looker!
20171104_135009.jpg

Mixed the Achiote with lime juice and orange juice ... add salt to taste and marinade 24hrs.
then on Sunday into the UDS for an 8hr slow roast. Make sure to smoke it!!!!!
The wait is killing me! but I need to make sausage so over and out!
20171104_154747.jpg

Reactions: Rings Я Us
You can use some grapefruit juice, orange juice and lime juice in a recipe I saw on a Pati Munich show that is a substitute for real sour orange that we can't get..

Zippy12,

I made cochinita pibil a lot over many years, though I've always made my own achiote paste, or recado, from scratch. I just happen to like it better than the premade stuff. As Rings says, you can easily make an acceptable substitute for the bitter orange. When I make it, I use 1 1/2 cups lime juice, 1 cup orange juice, and 1/4 cup cider vinegar. Obviously, that can be scaled up or down, but the ratio stays constant. Though it sounds interesting, I've never used grapefruit juice.

Good luck, and enjoy.

Reactions: zippy12
Zippy12,

I made cochinita pibil a lot over many years, though I've always made my own achiote paste, or recado, from scratch. I just happen to like it better than the premade stuff. As Rings says, you can easily make an acceptable substitute for the bitter orange. When I make it, I use 1 1/2 cups lime juice, 1 cup orange juice, and 1/4 cup cider vinegar. Obviously, that can be scaled up or down, but the ratio stays constant. Though it sounds interesting, I've never used grapefruit juice.

Good luck, and enjoy.

All good..

Reactions: zippy12
Yeah, Nice!
Did you make your onions ?
I did some with the lime juice and they were very good.. crunchy.
Point for this meal.
View attachment 343437

Yes I made the onions 4 hours B4 we ate..

Slice Red Onions
Boil water - turn off stove - add onions for 1 min
Drain onions put in marinating non reactive bowl
add 2 fresh lime juice
add 1 teaspoon salt
mix every hour

Yes I made the onions 4 hours B4 we ate..

Slice Red Onions
Boil water - turn off stove - add onions for 1 min
Drain onions put in marinating non reactive bowl
add 2 fresh lime juice
add 1 teaspoon salt
mix every hour

Oh, I didn't use hot water when I did mine. Hmm...

Edit.. I remember now. I just blanched them.. lol my bad.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky