Cleaning up your act - clean smoke is delicious smoke!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Shortening from the Setesh's 21' down to 4' is a huge difference. Assuming you cold smoked, were you able to consume cheese/etc the day of smoking (like Setesh) or did you age it traditionally before tasting it?
Let me answer your question by first showing my popcorn can setup (again):

I smoked a small amount of Costco sharp cheddar cheese. I have Jeff's Hickory sawdust. I filled one row in my 5x8 AMNPS, lit it, let it burn down for ten minutes, and then started the smoke. It took about 2.5 hours for the sawdust to burn to the end of the one row. I monitored the temperature both inside and outside the smoker, and there was never a measurable (more than 2 degree) difference during the whole smoke, and most of the time the temperatures were identical. Also, the second section of my short duct work never got even the slightest bit warm. Air temperature during the whole smoke was 60 degrees.

The cheese turned out absolutely great, and was edible right away. Nothing but authentic smoke flavor. The only thing I would do differently next time would be to use a wood that better matches the flavor profile of cheese. I think Hickory is a little too strong.

BTW, on two prior occasions I had tried cold smoking cheese with the AMNPS placed inside the MES. The result was pretty awful, even when using sawdust.

I inspected the second section of duct work which I had cleaned, prior to the smoke, in my ultrasonic cleaner so that its interior was spotless. After the smoke I looked at it, and could not see any visible deposits or color change whatsoever.

I have done other normal (hot) smokes since then, always cleaning the duct and "mailbox mod" in my ultrasonic cleaner each time. This lets me see exactly how much gunk is being precipitated out of the smoke. After each smoke, the can is absolutely loaded with black shiny, oozy gunk, as is the first 6-10 inches of the duct coming out of the can. After that, there is almost nothing on the inside of the remaining duct.

So this is why, for my setup, I see no reason to pursue adding long sections of duct. I am sure that I might get some additional precipitation on the interior surfaces of any additional sections, but based on my own observations the improvement is going to be really, negligible. Using the old Pareto 80/20 rule, I'm getting almost all the benefit with my large surface area can (better than a mailbox) and two sections of duct. To put numbers on it, I suspect that I'm probably getting 95% of the benefit with the current setup compared to adding 5-10 feet of additional duct.

So, as I said before, my recommendation is to use your current setup a few times and monitor the residue left behind in the duct that you have, and also put your hand on each section of duct during the smoke and see how hot/warm/cold it feels. If the last section still feels warm, and if it shows quite a bit of smoke residue, then you can probably still get some improvement by adding more duct. By contrast, if it is cold and still looks pretty clean, it is hard for me to see how you'd get much improvement by adding a lot of additional duct.

I really like my current setup because I can put the duct inside the can, and store the can inside the smoker. I can then roll the smoker around to where I actually do my smoking, carrying everything I need inside the smoker.

I use a full length of 3" aluminum flex duct...  compressed into ~3' and it seems to do the job of condensing the creosote...  a lot of the gooey black stuff condenses in the mail box..  the rest, in the pipe...   I have very little to no build up in my smoker body....

I would rather not do in the name of "experimenting." I think I'll just K.I.S.S. and use straight lengths that I can just swap out. 
Look at it in the name of "learning." Your kiss system in my opinion would be the way to go. 

Shortening from the Setesh's 21' down to 4' is a huge difference. Assuming you cold smoked, were you able to consume cheese/etc the day of smoking (like Setesh) or did you age it traditionally before tasting it?
Clearprop, what many may not understand, Setishes setup was an experiment so he could see the differences each change would make, 20 feet of pipe is not always needed.

If having to age cheese before consumption is traditional, I’ve not been smoking cheese traditionally for 60+ years. LOL
 I have Jeff's Hickory sawdust. I filled one row in my 5x8 AMNPS, lit it, let it burn down for ten minutes, and then started the smoke. It took about 2.5 hours for the sawdust to burn to the end of the one row. I monitored the temperature both inside and outside the smoker, and there was never a measurable (more than 2 degree) difference during the whole smoke,

BTW, on two prior occasions I had tried cold smoking cheese with the AMNPS placed inside the MES. The result was pretty awful, even when using sawdust.
johnymeyer, you have a good setup and it shows the advantage of using a firebox that is also a good heatsink.

2.5 hours burn in one row of your tray type smoke generator seems to be a pretty fast burn rate. I again suggest you try powder rather than saw dust just for comparison sake. Using powder rather than sawdust, I can get ± 17-hour burn that produces a very cool and clean smoke. This is perfect for cheese and bacon, but if you are happy with what you are using continue on.

Here is another example, taken from my blog, of the differences in the placement of a smoke generator when cold smoking. 

http://smokingfoodwithmrt.com/smoke-direct-vs-indirect

Tom

I don't have more than 6 feet tops of duct on mine.. and I can definitely eat it right out of the smoker.  I cold smoked close to 40# of cheese total this past fall.. and gave most all of it away to friends and family for tasting (FYI I don't recommend this method... Otherwise you will be forever doomed to the shaming expectations of said family/friends looking down on you for cheese EVERY TIME you see them...LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES!!  LOL)

This is my setup.  Like I stated before I'm still struggling to get consistent airflow and having my pellets stay lit... last fall my pellets worked perfectly with this setup... Now i'm struggling again.. so when I order some more pellets (which will be asap...) i plan on ordering a tube smoker to try.

Gavin 

I don't have more than 6 feet tops of duct on mine.. and I can definitely eat it right out of the smoker.  I cold smoked close to 40# of cheese total this past fall.. and gave most all of it away to friends and family for tasting (FYI I don't recommend this method... Otherwise you will be forever doomed to the shaming expectations of said family/friends looking down on you for cheese EVERY TIME you see them...LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES!!  LOL)

This is my setup.  Like I stated before I'm still struggling to get consistent airflow and having my pellets stay lit... last fall my pellets worked perfectly with this setup... Now i'm struggling again.. so when I order some more pellets (which will be asap...) i plan on ordering a tube smoker to try.

Gavin 
Gavin..... the legs solved all my problems with smoke.....

Evening Dave!  

I have some makeshift legs under mine.. They are stubby rubber furniture leg deals 1" in height - which seemed to work.. Maybe I need to try something like this that gives another couple inches off the mailbox floor.  

Those appear to be bolts holding up your AMNPS? Welded to the tray or setup on a frame you built?  I'll look into it.

Thanks! 

Evening Dave!  

I have some makeshift legs under mine.. They are stubby rubber furniture leg deals 1" in height - which seemed to work.. Maybe I need to try something like this that gives another couple inches off the mailbox floor.  

Those appear to be bolts holding up your AMNPS? Welded to the tray or setup on a frame you built?  I'll look into it.

Thanks! 
Nuts and washers top and bottom....

After receiving a tray type, smoke generator it was soon discovered that by placing it on top of a small colander, it burned much better.

For convenience, I placed small bolts in each corner to replicate the colander. This solved all of the burning problems.

Knowing DaveOmak was having problems with his unit, I informed him of my solutions. He then modified his which seemed to solve his problems as well.

If you modify yours, let us know how it worked.

Tom

I was planning on using a PA108 Ammo Box/Can for my "MailboxMod".... but now I'm thinking it will be too small and I need to have something twice the size. It appears the bigger the container, the better the burn (more oxygen?) and better the draft?
You are beginning to get the idea. The draft can be controlled on a large box as well as a small one. You can see in post # 68 what I use, it works as a wonderful heatsink and that is what should be considered in designing your setup. 

T

A LOT of folks are using 3" for their mailbox mod, REASON #1 Because most are using it on their MES which has a 3" chip loading port in the side, and REASON #2, it works.

I'm planning on using 3" as well for the intake, but would 4" work better? 

I would assume a MATCHED 3" exhaust for COLD smoking would help with draft. But to use same unit for HOT SMOKING, a 2" exhaust with a damper valve has been recommended numerous times on this forum. 

Will 2" work just as good to COLD smoke with? Which should I put in?

or both? (3" exhaust with a 2" removable insert?)

A LOT of folks are using 3" for their mailbox mod, REASON #1 Because most are using it on their MES which has a 3" chip loading port in the side, and REASON #2, it works.

I'm planning on using 3" as well for the intake, but would 4" work better? 

I would assume a MATCHED 3" exhaust for COLD smoking would help with draft. But to use same unit for HOT SMOKING, a 2" exhaust with a damper valve has been recommended numerous times on this forum. 

Will 2" work just as good to COLD smoke with? Which should I put in?

or both? (3" exhaust with a 2" removable insert?)
The purpose of the pipe is to assist in cooling the smoke as well as cleaning. The more surface area, the more efficient it will be. No problem putting in a larger exhaust as long as you can adjust the flow.

T

Does having the larger 3" exhaust vs 2" have any impact (good or bad) on cold smoking? I think it would only have an impact the draft to get rid of "stale" smoke, but does the difference (unknown) even matter?

Nuts and washers top and bottom....

Went to the local hardware store and browsed around for some bolts to adjust my AMNPS.  Stumbled upon these little 2-3" alligator clips and thought they'd be worth a try. Just so happened I got my order of pellets in from Todd this week also.  Decided to give some cherry wine and pecan pellets a try on some cheese yesterday afternoon. Wasn't much of a breeze outside but I had plenty of airflow for this little fella to smoke for about 3 hours. Pleased with results and look forward to doing some barbecuing on some warmer days to continue testing.  
thumbsup.gif

Cherry wood pellets can be a bugger to keep lit...    they are very hard and dense....    you did good.....

Cherry wood pellets can be a bugger to keep lit...    they are very hard and dense....    you did good.....
Indeed.  Cherry is also my favorite fruit wood to use. I love the color it seems to put on meat.  I'll put pecan or hickory on the bottom layer and the hard wood on top. Someone had mentioned that on SMF somewhere and it certainly seems to work. 

Thank you for a very well thought out experiment, and scientifically deduced results. I'm sure my meals will be improved by your hard work.

Thank you!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky