Classic Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dstar26t

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Ridley Park, PA
I will let the pictures speak for themselves mostly.  16 lb packer trimmed to 14 lbs.  1% w/w kosher salt on the surface for 24 hours.  19 hours of 6 month seasoned red oak (a lot of it) until probe tender.  6 hour rest in a cooler (while I cooked 4 racks of maple brine cured pork ribs).  Best brisket to date for sure.

Nate

Reactions: gary s and mike5051
Nice looking Brisket...................  Did I see Butcher Paper ?????    
drool.gif
   Great job   
points1.png

Gary

I never understood the rest part, is it still warm when u take it out of the cooler after 6 hrs? 3 hrs? 1 hr?

I never understood the rest part, is it still warm when u take it out of the cooler after 6 hrs? 3 hrs? 1 hr?

Yes to all of those. A wrapped, uncut brisket that is insulated in a set of towels and in a cooler will retain it's heat for hours upon hours. It stays moist and just gets more tender that whole time.

Yes to all of those. A wrapped, uncut brisket that is insulated in a set of towels and in a cooler will retain it's heat for hours upon hours. It stays moist and just gets more tender that whole time.
This is the secret for the best brisket every time I think.  It totally relaxes during the rest and I think 4 hours would have produced the same product if not less time.  It was still steaming when I sliced.  Butcher paper tight around the brisket with plastic wrap around that and then towels in a boiling water pre-heated cooler.  There was extra space so I put 2 sealed quart mason jars with just off boiling water in the cooler too.  Also, it was wrapped (butcher paper) after the first 6 hours of cooking and unwrapped for the last 2.  In a perfect world where I knew it would take 19 hours (assumed 18), I would have unwrapped for the last hour only.

Thank you all for your comments...it's the end of a long day traveling for work so I hope I'm concise and polite.

Nate

P.S. No comments about using the Bullsheet for the kindling starter?  I got a chuckle about the irony.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky