Chuck Roll

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I guess beauty must really be in the eye of the beholder. I thought my chuckie was a nice looking piece of meat, but when the misses spotted it waiting patiently for me in the fridge she declared to be something disgusting looking. I think she hurt its feelings.

I got home much later than I had anticipated tonight. I decided it was in my best interest to take the advice offered to me and cut the chuckie up prior to rubbing it down and tucking it in for the night.

I should have plenty of room in the AmeriQue so crowding shouldn’t be an issue. So I'll figure on roughly 7 hours and throw it in around O dark thirty Sunday morning instead of sometime Saturday morning.

I am thinking about putting a pan in the bottom to catch the drippings to de-fat and add back as au jus.

Thanks for all the advice and direction. I’ll Qview more as the smoke progresses

I say it should be named "Mother Chucker"
icon_redface.gif

OK, here we go

The two end cut pieces on the top rack are roughly 5 ½ lbs each and the two center cut pieces on the 2nd rack are roughly 6 lbs each.

The 3rd rack has a pan to catch the drippings for au jus

The bottom rack holds the baked beans.
A last minute experimental recipe consisting of 1 28 oz can of baked beans, 1 15 oz can of black beans, 1 Tbls of Tabasco, 1 Tbls dried minced onions rehydrated, 1 tsp garlic powder, and about ½ lb of chopped up bacon left over from a weave used on a meatloaf. The leftover meatloaf was crumbled in spaghetti sauce last night.

I selected 3 pieces of hickory for the smoke.
I set the cook temperature to 225⁰ and the temperature probe to 200⁰ and turned the AmeriQue on

I just found this link, but I would have agreed with halving or quartering your "Motherchucker".

I consider it a great military plan-----"Divide & Conquer".

Can't wait for the final Qview,
Bearcarver

CHUCKZILLA!

Coincidentally, I've got my first chuck in the smoker right now.

Happy Mother's Day, Ya'll!

I took the smaller of the two end cuts out after 5 hours and wrapped it in foil and a towel for a half hour. It was 165 when I took it out.

It was tender but a bit on the dry side. I added some au jus and perked it right up.

Very tasty!

I also took the beans and the drippings out at this time. The beans were also on the dry side, but they also perked up with a little au jus.

I took the other end cut out after 6 hours, it was 170⁰. I spooned on a little au jus and wrapped it in foil and a towel.

I left it all wrapped up for a little better than two hours before I de-fatted it and began slicing it.

This piece was more tender and juicier than the first piece.

The plate on the left is the discard pile.

The tub on the right is the discard pile. The two end cuts were sliced up and filled us and the other tub. The rest was pulled.

It took 3 hours to get the chuckie up to 141.

Total smoke time was 8 hours and 15 minutes.

I think the misses decided the finished product looked and tasted great, so that makes it a keeper.
I believe her exact words were “Mmm. Mmmm, mmmmMmm. Yummy!”

I’d like to thank everybody who offered a little encouragement or direction.
Your help was greatly appreciated!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

What about butterflying then spice it up, roll and tie?

I have had success with that method on my Porchetta Pulled Pork

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky