Chuck Roll

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

arnie

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 20, 2010
West Liberty, Iowa
Mother's Day will never be the same!!
icon_cool.gif

I just picked up this 23 lb chuck roll at our local butcher shop to fix this weekend for Mothers Day

Sometimes I get the feeling my butcher thinks I’m in over my head
icon_smile.gif

Now I have to get busy figuring out how I'm gonna smoke it

Damn! That thing needs a name.... lol. Since it is for mothers day I suggest "Mother Chuckie!"
biggrin.gif

Can't wait to see how that monster turns out!

Now that is one big chuckie for sure. I hope you know alot of mothers. I wonder if the 40-140 is going to gonna be a problem. But I bet it will be good and you will do a great job on it too.

Oh. My. God.

That is the largest chuck I have ever seen.

I'd find a good marinade and drop it in right now, preferably something with some red wine in it.

I vote for "Mother of all Chuckies" haha that sucker is huge. How long do you think that sucker is going to take? Better be getting up early or smoking all night. Good luck I can't wait to see the qview on that baby.

I haven’t really given the 40-140 a thought yet. So far my largest smoke was an 18 lb packer and it wasn’t a problem
I am thinking I need 24 - 30 hours in the AmeriQue to get the job done.
I am trying to resisting the urge to cut it up before I get started.
icon_rolleyes.gif

I am leaning heavily on just rubbing her with “Jeff’s Naked Rib Rub” and letting it go at that. Maybe mopping with a bit of AJ after she gets started

Yea with a chuckie that size you could quarter that baby and still have four nice size chuckies. Man you may have to at least cut it in half. But if it isn't too thick you may not have any isses with the 4 hour rule. But from what I can tell it looks pretty thick.

I read about a 24 pounder done as one piece of meat, but then I’ve also read about several smaller ones being cut into fours prior to being rubbed.

It is roughly 13X24X4
I just don’t know yet. I’m still researching
icon_rolleyes.gif

I think that you could turn up the heat at first to get past the danger zone if you left it whole. I'm just more concerned about getting some flavor into it beforehand which is why I suggested that you should marinate it for a couple of days. But if you're just going to rub it and let it sit overnight then I think that you would have better results if you quarter it.

That's just my opinion, of course.

You better take some pics of that monster whenever you do smoke it, though! I hope that it turns out well however you decide to do it.
smile.gif

Well I am very much a rookie and as such I am willing to yield to experience.

How would you suggest I quarter it, in half each direction or 4 somewhat equal pieces from one end to the other?

Should I inject the chuckie with AJ or something?

Is Jeff’s Naked Rib Rub enough for it?

If I quarter the chuckie to roughly 6 lb pieces would that cut the smoke time to around 9 hours at 225°?

Just try to cut it into even sizes if possible. My gut guess is your cooktime would drop to something around 6-7 hrs. if you have 6 lb. chunks. A lot of that will depend on how much room you will have around each piece of met. If each piece has good air flow around them (not crowded) they should cook nice and even, but if they are crowded the outer edges will cook faster than the crowded edges. Can't wait to see how that thing turns out.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Sorry I missed your post this morning.

Like JIRodriguez said, just try to keep them as close to the same size/weight as possible so they will all be done at the same time, and the cook time will depend on the size of your smoker. If they're crowded in there, it will take longer.

As for a rub, I haven't tried Jeff's yet, so I can't comment on how well it works on a chuckie. I guess it will depend on your personal taste preferences, but whatever you use they will soak up some flavor if you let them sit overnight in it. So I wouldn't think that you'd need to inject them with anything. Of course, there's no reason not to either.

I'm really looking forward to the pics on this one!
smile.gif

First off your butcher said it was a chuck roll??? It is a chuck ,but it is a chuck shoulder clod, not a chuck roll. There is not much difference as far as cooking it goes but I just wanted to let you know what you had.
I agree that you should cut it into equal size chunks to make it eaiser and to expose more surface area for more bark. And if you pull some of them sooner you could slice some of it, as steve said.

Good luck and have fun!
SOB

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky