Chocolate rub for jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 7, 2006
Valley Forge, PA
Tried it at the food show. Don't think of it as a hershey bar, think of it as a dry cocoa powder with other spices, not sweet. It was excellent. Going to prepare jerky tonight or tomorrow for smokin on Saturday. I think that 1 lb of it will be the chocolate...

Found some "chocalate rub" in a food specialty store near me a while back and loved it!!! I mixed a bit of it with my regular brisket rub and...wow, mighty tastey. Didn't like it on pork so much though seemed to go nicely with beef. Let us know how your jerky comes out

Cocoa, coffee, and other spices like cinnamon are used in rubs and sauces all the time, alot by comp teams who are looking for that exta special somthing to set them apart from the rest..... and they won't be giving up their recipe's anytime soon either.

Hmmmmmmmmm

Not being a big fan of chocolate unless it's got lots of nuts or peanutbutter in it I can't imagine this ...

PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

Cocoa was used as a savory spice long before it ever made it to the candy shops....there are hundreds of recipes to use it in that aren't sweet at all...

Debi - you wouldn't be cooking with chocolate...you'd be cooking with cocoa...not the same. Don't believe me? Dip your finger into cocoa powder and give it a taste....LOL!!!
icon_mrgreen.gif

My family loves Chicken Mole Enchiladas!

Cocoa is used in chili and other Mexican foods (mighty good too!), seems reasonable it would fit right in rubs and other things used by smokers.
I'd try it in a New York second! And I think I will!

That's exactly the same thing as I had found in the specialty store and loved!!!

Thanks for the link Shellbelc!!

PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif
Abigail -

I believe you! I use cocoa alot in the winter to make hot chocolate. I just have this "thing" against chocolate ...

Ya see it's like this, my big brother loved chocolate cake, I 'm not a big cake person but I can handle vanila or white cake with peanutbutter frosting. Being Mamas only little boy every birthday I got a darn chocolate cake because it was my brothers favorite!

PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

That's probably why he joined the Marines and I joined the Navy!

Hey Deb, we won't hold it against you for joining the Navy
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
Pass a Semper Fi to your bro and I'll take a piece of choc cake!!

Hey Jeff,
Love your Avatar, too funny. I was just out at the fiery foods show and they had the PETA shirts with a lot of different sayings like that...Do you really put choc in chili?

yup i really do.... it adds a richness to it... i also dont put mine in a crockpot or on the stovetop

i take mine and put into a big turkey roaster and bake it.... it gives it a nicer color and seems to make the flavors come together alot better

Unfortunately Shell I give anything to have another piece of Mamas chocloate cake cause she'd still be here to make it!

My brother doesn't hold it against me anymore but when he was a youngster he did. Now he's just glad he has one sister that's self sufficent!

PDT_Armataz_01_41.gif

Don't worry Debi, the government made the Navy responsible for the Marines so someone would be there to make the travel arrangements for them
icon_mrgreen.gif

My Dad was Navy and my Uncle was a retired Marine Full bird that came up through the enlisted ranks. To get my Uncle's gander up my Dad would often and LOUDLY proclaim "Over 200 years of Marines guarding the Navy's gates and NOT one has ever been stolen!"
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Yes, the Marines are a dept of the Navy....the BEST dept or as the guys would say, The Men's Dept!!!
biggrin.gif
We appreciate the ride so we can go do our jobs! Think how my dad, 4 years Navy, felt when his little girl went up to him and told him she joined the Marines!!!
icon_eek.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky