Chocolate rub for jerky

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by shellbellc, Mar 8, 2007.

1. shellbellc

shellbellc Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Tried it at the food show. Don't think of it as a hershey bar, think of it as a dry cocoa powder with other spices, not sweet. It was excellent. Going to prepare jerky tonight or tomorrow for smokin on Saturday. I think that 1 lb of it will be the chocolate...

2. kueh

kueh Meat Mopper

Cocoa is a mild bitter ingredient. Sounds like another ingredient worth experimenting with in rubs and sauces although you can buy it of the shelf.

Perhaps what you have is a dry version of mole pablano.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_poblano

3. jmastera

jmastera Smoke Blower

4. tonto1117

tonto1117 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Found some "chocalate rub" in a food specialty store near me a while back and loved it!!! I mixed a bit of it with my regular brisket rub and...wow, mighty tastey. Didn't like it on pork so much though seemed to go nicely with beef. Let us know how your jerky comes out

Cocoa, coffee, and other spices like cinnamon are used in rubs and sauces all the time, alot by comp teams who are looking for that exta special somthing to set them apart from the rest..... and they won't be giving up their recipe's anytime soon either.

5. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

Hmmmmmmmmm

Not being a big fan of chocolate unless it's got lots of nuts or peanutbutter in it I can't imagine this ...

[​IMG]

6. jessie50

jessie50 Newbie

[​IMG] We aren't gonna try it?

7. abigail4476

abigail4476 Jeff's Woman SMF Premier Member

Cocoa was used as a savory spice long before it ever made it to the candy shops....there are hundreds of recipes to use it in that aren't sweet at all...

Debi - you wouldn't be cooking with chocolate...you'd be cooking with cocoa...not the same. Don't believe me? Dip your finger into cocoa powder and give it a taste....LOL!!! [​IMG]

My family loves Chicken Mole Enchiladas!

8. shellbellc

9. peculiarmike

peculiarmike Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Cocoa is used in chili and other Mexican foods (mighty good too!), seems reasonable it would fit right in rubs and other things used by smokers.
    I'd try it in a New York second! And I think I will!

10. tonto1117

tonto1117 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That's exactly the same thing as I had found in the specialty store and loved!!!

Thanks for the link Shellbelc!!

11. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

[​IMG] Abigail -

I believe you! I use cocoa alot in the winter to make hot chocolate. I just have this "thing" against chocolate ...

Ya see it's like this, my big brother loved chocolate cake, I 'm not a big cake person but I can handle vanila or white cake with peanutbutter frosting. Being Mamas only little boy every birthday I got a darn chocolate cake because it was my brothers favorite!

[​IMG]

That's probably why he joined the Marines and I joined the Navy!

12. shellbellc

Hey Deb, we won't hold it against you for joining the Navy [​IMG] Pass a Semper Fi to your bro and I'll take a piece of choc cake!!

13. teacup13

teacup13 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

i put a square of bittersweet bakers chocolate in my chili...shhhh dont tell anybody..lol

14. shellbellc

Hey Jeff,
    Love your Avatar, too funny. I was just out at the fiery foods show and they had the PETA shirts with a lot of different sayings like that...Do you really put choc in chili?

15. teacup13

teacup13 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

yup i really do.... it adds a richness to it... i also dont put mine in a crockpot or on the stovetop

i take mine and put into a big turkey roaster and bake it.... it gives it a nicer color and seems to make the flavors come together alot better

16. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

Unfortunately Shell I give anything to have another piece of Mamas chocloate cake cause she'd still be here to make it!

My brother doesn't hold it against me anymore but when he was a youngster he did. Now he's just glad he has one sister that's self sufficent!

[​IMG]

17. cajunsmoker

cajunsmoker Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Don't worry Debi, the government made the Navy responsible for the Marines so someone would be there to make the travel arrangements for them[​IMG]

18. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

I got slugged the first time I told my brother that!

[​IMG]

19. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

My Dad was Navy and my Uncle was a retired Marine Full bird that came up through the enlisted ranks. To get my Uncle's gander up my Dad would often and LOUDLY proclaim "Over 200 years of Marines guarding the Navy's gates and NOT one has ever been stolen!"[​IMG]

20. shellbellc

Yes, the Marines are a dept of the Navy....the BEST dept or as the guys would say, The Men's Dept!!! [​IMG] We appreciate the ride so we can go do our jobs! Think how my dad, 4 years Navy, felt when his little girl went up to him and told him she joined the Marines!!! [​IMG]